Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg’s Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 (aka the Morón Rat)

For the discussion of aviation and aircraft subjects. If it flies, it goes here!
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Smeg’s Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 (aka the Morón Rat)

Post by smeg1959 »

During the Spanish Civil War, Russian supplied the Republican forces with the Polikarpov I-16. These were initially Type 5 and 6 models but, after certain shortcomings were discovered in combat, the improved Type 10. In total, 276 aircraft were delivered, of which 112 were lost in battle and a further 62 destroyed in accidents. Numerous aircraft were captured by the Nationalists and used in combat against their previous owners up until the cessation of the SCW on 1 April 1939. Whilst the Republicans referred to the I-16 as the Mosca (Fly), the Nationalists were predictably more scathing, christening the aircraft the Rata (Rat). For the record, VVS pilots called the I-16 Ishak (Donkey). Despite its obsolescence, surviving Spanish I-16s were flown by the Aviación Nacional until 1952, primarily as a fighter trainer at Morón Air Base, 35 miles out of Seville. Incidentally, the base is still active today.

Back in the dim and distant when I used to visit evilBay and actually buy stuff, I purchased several Kami de Koro resin kits, mainly from either Chikara (Starjet) or Akira (Radjapan). One of these was KdK’s I-16 which, at the time, was the sole example in the scale. A few years later in 2014, F-Toys released their WKC Volume 13 version but, despite wanting to add another I-16 to the collection, the dual spectre of SWMBO and desperate finances caused me to shelve these plans. It wasn’t until 2017 when I finally addressed this, picking up a I-16 Type 10 (amongst other things) from Mr T (mtcc75). A couple of months later, I purchased the Armory Type 5 pairing, so there’s now a few examples of Polikarpov’s corpulent fighter in the stash.

Desiring a brief diversion from my RAF-centric modelling in 2018, I decided to pull out the F-Toys’ release, the “Special” depicting one of the post-SCW Ratas used at Morón. In contrast to many of my recent gashapon builds, I elected to go with the kit scheme. I mean, why pay more for the “Special” and not do it as Nature … well, F-Toys … intended? I’d be a Morón not to … :roll: :oops:

To start off, the reasonably complete cockpit in the kit got some attention with the internal colours being changed to agree with references on VVS interior schemes. The instrument panel was enhanced a tad (a largely academic exercise, as it turned out, because you can’t see much of it, even with the open cockpit arrangement of the I-16). A pair of painted Tamiya tape seatbelts was added and construction began in earnest.
Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Rata - Aviación Nacional IW-6 (01).jpg
In another departure from recent practice, I also decided up front to take the quick (read “slack”) approach and try to build the thing to completion without major repainting. This was helped by the good fit of the main parts, with negligible filling needed around the fuselage or wings. A little fine sanding was required in a couple of spots on the upper surfaces, so a little touching up was called for. Starting with a 1:1 mix of Tamiya XF52 Flat Earth and XF60 Dark Yellow, I tweaked the paint with a touch of XF17 Sea Blue and Lifecolor LC06 Red until I got something close to F-Toys’ dark sand colour. As for the green mottle, that only needed XF58 Dark Green with a hint of XF17. From past experience, any discrepancy in the colours will likely diminish when the model gets its clear coats later on.
Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Rata - Aviación Nacional IW-6 (02).jpg
Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Rata - Aviación Nacional IW-6 (03).jpg
In contrast to the upper surfaces, the underside cried out for extra sanding and the removal of an unsightly burr of plastic, the aftermath of the fuselage being removed from its sprue in the F-Toys’ factory. As the photo below clearly shows, touching up underneath won’t cut the mustard.
Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Rata - Aviación Nacional IW-6 (04).jpg
The model was duly masked and the undersides airbrushed with a 3:1 blend of Lifecolor UA515 RAAF Sky Blue and UA503 RLM65 Hellblau.
Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Rata - Aviación Nacional IW-6 (05).jpg
Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Rata - Aviación Nacional IW-6 (06).jpg
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), Hurricane Mk I (257 Sqn RAF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Smeg’s Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 (aka the Morón Rat)

Post by smeg1959 »

As per my standard practice, the whole thing was coated with TS79 Semi-gloss Clear, then the decals were affixed. The F-Toys' decals were nicely printed but, like other recent releases, they were very thick and took repeated application of Mr Mark Setter and Mr Mark Softer to get them to bed down, particularly around the circumference of the fuselage. And boy, were they glossy! Anyway, after allowing the decals to dry completely, the model was finished with a couple of sprays of TS80 Matt Clear. As they say in Spain, “Acabado!”, no aerial or wiring required.
Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Rata - Aviación Nacional IW-6 (07).jpg
Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Rata - Aviación Nacional IW-6 (09).jpg
Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Rata - Aviación Nacional IW-6 (10).jpg
Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Rata - Aviación Nacional IW-6 (08).jpg
Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Rata - Aviación Nacional IW-6 (15).jpg
Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Rata - Aviación Nacional IW-6 (16).jpg
For a quickie, not too bad IMHO and certainly a nice little diversion. I look forward to building a SCW Republican I-16 Type 5 Mosca from my Armory kit, though I suspect this won’t happen anytime soon. In the meantime, back to the RAF, where the Vickers Type 432 and Spitfire Mk IXc took their turn on the workbench with the Spanish Rat over the weekend.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), Hurricane Mk I (257 Sqn RAF)

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

very nice. great mixing of colours too.
Regards
Peter

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

Very nice indeed! Well done!

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

That looks great - very nicely doneSmeg!

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Thanks, everyone. I've just noticed that one of the decal options in the Armory kit features the same aircraft and, if it's the much cheaper Zvezda I-16 you have, LFModels have a decal sheet which includes 1W-6, too. Indeed, this particular aircraft appears popular with model companies covering other scales (e.g. this 1/48-scale combo from Eduard). It's more than likely the pairing in my Armory kit will both be finished as Spanish examples using the kit decals, most probably the black nacelled Type 5 flown by Republican AF ace Antonio Arias Arias during the SCW, and this rather intriguing example used for aerobatic demonstrations over Morocco after the Civil War ...
24_6.jpg
Now that shapes up as a true test of one's masking abilities. Insanity awaits ... :shock:

Whilst on the Spanish Civil War bandwagon, I ran a poll on SCW possibilities around the time Luis from Minairons joined the forum. Also, I'm embarrassed to admit, I might have implied I was going to buy a couple of Minairons kits but ran low on cash shortly thereafter. Whilst a SCW GB would be great IMHO, I can't really see enough members jumping on board. Notwithstanding this, I have a few more potential SCW builds possible using kits in the stash and might be in a position to follow up on those Minairons purchases in 2019, so this historical period could become a bit of a focus for me next year.

As for the I-16, could it be that there will be no VVS examples on my shelves? I can see our Russian members turning away in disgust, but fear not. There's a couple of Ishak I'd like to model, so a second Armory kit or a couple of the cheaper Zvezda offerings may be on a future shopping list.
OTB ...

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Nice looking in Spanish colours.
David

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

That looks rather flash I must say. I bow to your colour matching prowess too. I couldn't match a pair of oranges.

Ryan B.
Flight #288
Flight #288
United States of America

Post by Ryan B. »

An encore to all the praise above! And, I wouldn't sell the Zvezda I-16s short; they're very cleverly constructed, and far less fiddly than Armory.

Fabiolone
Flight #288
Flight #288
Italy

Post by Fabiolone »

It's a great model and the unusual camo enlight it. You could add a nice particular to turn it more interesting: the I-16 have a wire (one for leg) to close the undercarriage.

Return to “1/144 Aviation & Aircraft”