Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg’s Me262A-1a/U4 Pulkzerstörer (Eduard/RetroWings)

Inform everyone of your entries on the "Shelf of Shame" then make the commitment to finish the kit(s) within a set timeframe, proving completion with photographic evidence.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Smeg’s Me262A-1a/U4 Pulkzerstörer (Eduard/RetroWings)

Post by smeg1959 »

For me, Group Builds have been nothing if not déjà vu in terms of completions or, should I say, lack thereof. I won’t even dare list those builds that started life in a GB and ended up on the dreaded Shelf of Shame. The Me262A-1a/U4 of GB11 was another addition to this litany of failures. Unlike some of my earlier (and current) examples which stalled due to lack of suitable decals, I simply ran out of construction time. The 6-week period we allocated to GB11 and GB12 (covering the MiG-21) was always going to be a squeeze with commitments beyond the workbench, but even I thought I’d have made it a little further than basic assembly and a squirt of grey primer! :oops:

Messerschmitt Me262A-1a-U4 - Luftwaffe V083 (09).JPG

So this model was posted to the SoS back on 30 September 2019 and it wasn’t until January of the following year that I finally applied the first exterior colour. In the latter part of WW2, the underside colour of Luftwaffe aircraft had gone from RLM65 to the more greyish RLM76, and I found little argument to suggest any Me262 was finished otherwise. I went with Lifecolor’s UA074.

Messerschmitt Me262A-1a-U4 - Luftwaffe V083 (10).jpg

Following a subsequent and rather lengthy discussion about upper surface colours, it was at this point in the SoS thread, David made a not-too-subtle comment about my time at the work station versus that at the workbench. And despite this well-deserved boot up the Khyber Pass, I responded by forgetting about the bloody model altogether. :roll:

UPDATE 31 December 2021: After a little tweaking, I moved the post to GB17 in October 2021 as a prospective conversion and progressed precisely nowhere as work commitments made the odds of me spending time on it as great as winning the lottery five weeks running. And, so it has returned to its rightful place, the goddamned SoS! :evil:
OTB ...
GB18 - ???
GB19 - ???
SoS - Lancaster B.VII (Crown), CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), Me262A-1a/U4 (Eduard/RetroWings)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Pulkzerstörer Part 3 – Smeg’s Me262A-1a/U4 (Eduard/RetroWings)

Post by smeg1959 »

There are two schools of thought regarding the sole Me262A-1a/U4 prototype, one opting for a single upper colour on the fuselage, the other for a dual-colour approach. Wartime photos before and after capture by US forces support the latter, an extension of the splinter pattern on the wings and horizontal tail surfaces. Having elected to go this route back in GB11, I selected the RLM81/RLM82 combo commonly used in the final years of the war. Designated “braunviolett” (brown-violet), RLM81 varied considerably in hue, ranging from a brownish grey through to a darkish green. Some manufacturers like Gunze and now SMS opt for the former, whilst Lifecolor UA510 is very much the latter. The reduced contrast of the green version of RLM81 with RLM82 might explain the view of some that the fuselage was just the one colour, hence I’m going with the UA510.

Messerschmitt Me262A-1a-U4 - Luftwaffe V083 (11).jpg

Here's a paintout I did when making my selection. No prizes for guessing what aircraft this wing came from! What I do find intriguing is how the Lifecolor RLM81 looks completely different depending upon the RLM82 immediately next to it. Little wonder colour matching is so damned hard.

Given the distinct changes in camo after capture by the USAAF, I’m also going with my interpretation based jointly on the wartime photo showing the port side of the aircraft prior to capture and the prescribed 262 splinter pattern at the time. Conjecture but I’ve got to start somewhere. What is definitely clear in photos whilst still in Luftwaffe markings is that the aircraft bore no mottle whatsoever at that time. The white lines on the fuselage were probably for ground observer calibration purposes, whilst the nose is clearly a different colour to the rest of the aircraft. Given the vagaries of black and white film, it is feasible the nose could even be a colour like red, but I reckon this would be unlikely for a non-operational prototype. So here’s my Illustrator profile that will also serve as my masking template.

Messerschmitt Me262A-1a-U4 - Luftwaffe V083 Before Capture Profile.jpg
OTB ...
GB18 - ???
GB19 - ???
SoS - Lancaster B.VII (Crown), CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), Me262A-1a/U4 (Eduard/RetroWings)

Return to “1/144 Shelf of Shame”