Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg’s Hawker Tempest Mk V (Revell)

The reward for completing a Shelf of Shamer - permanent residence in this location.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Smeg’s Hawker Tempest Mk V (Revell)

Post by smeg1959 »

With the closure of the RAF GB, I've reluctantly moved yet another of my Group Build entries onto the dreaded Shelf. This is where I'm at ...
Hawker Tempest Mk V - RAF JN751 (32).jpg
... so not far from finishing. I'll whip up the black "JN751" serials and the two walkways as easy as, but completion essentially relies on me sourcing the right sized sky-coloured RAF lettering (by my reckoning, a scale 21" high, which equates to 3.7mm in 1/144). Even just a pair of suitably sized letter "R's" and "B's" would do, as I'm struggling to find any other RAF fighter that featured codes of this non-standard dimension (most are either 18" or 24"). If anyone knows of something suitable, you will forever be in my debt.

'til then ... :?

Addendum: Am I the only one admitting to models residing on the SoS? Come on, own up!
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), Hurricane Mk I (257 Sqn RAF)

Ryan B.
Flight #288
Flight #288
1/144 Interest: No
United States of America

Re: Smeg’s Hawker Tempest Mk V (Revell)

Post by Ryan B. »

"Addendum: Am I the only one admitting to models residing on the SoS? Come on, own up!"

No...too shameful...

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Name rank and serial number only!

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

I have a production line of EIGHT Tornadoes on that shelf. I have a butterfly mind.
David

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

I’ve got a Crown Tempest that I’ve been meaning to get back to since 1996, so don’t feel too bad.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

I look at this 1/72 Xtradecal set on evilBay UK, but it obviously doesn't help. Apart from Xtradecal not doing such small lettering in sky (black or white only), doubling the sizes gives 8", 12", 16" and 24" in 1/144. And, as mehulsa is not doing the 4mm high lettering anymore, I'm going to have to compromise and go with the Mark I 24" ones after all.

Hopefully, "Bee" will forgive me. :oops:

Footnote: As it happens, I'm short on Armée de L'air roundels to complete my Dewoitine (low on "1000-mm" diameter ones, thanks to my Kingcobra), so more decal purchases to be made. Just cursing that no-one locally stocks more than one or two of the Mark I sheets, despite me trying to sweet talk the guys at Metro (who, incidentally, have the company's Mossie and Spits in stock now). I also tried to broker a deal with Metro for JBr, again without luck. :(
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), Hurricane Mk I (257 Sqn RAF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Another Smeg build which hit the wall because of a missing decal or two. Anyway, as a part of my Red Cross package from BigReg (again, ginormous thanks!), there was a selection of RAF-style letters of varying sizes and profiles. Whilst a few of the smaller ones were closer in colour to Sky, I went with the larger ones which were the right size if overly bluish. As often is the case when applied to a camouflaged model, the colour looked a bit better when the decals were affixed.
Hawker Tempest Mk V - RAF JN751 (34).jpg
Hawker Tempest Mk V - RAF JN751 (35).jpg
Hawker Tempest Mk V - RAF JN751 (36).jpg
Hawker Tempest Mk V - RAF JN751 (42).jpg
And so, another Group Build which became a Shelf of Shamer finally moves out of its Ferrero Rocher caravan and into its permanent residence in Chateau Ikea Billy. As always, there are things I could have done better but, given the fact that the model actually looks like something manufactured this century and not 1973 (thanks, Revell), pretty happy with the outcome. Having said that, I’m not sure I want to tackle invasion stripes again any time soon. ;-)
OTB ...

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Bravo Smeg! A silk purse if ever I saw one.
David

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Outstanding! Great job indeed. It’s so nice to see these old Crown kits done right. Maybe a Crown tribute would make a good GB one day!

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

A Crown tribute? Interesting thought and definitely feasible given the high percentage of currently available Minicraft and Acdemy kits in 1/144 that owe their existence to good ol' Crown. Could include all of the Revell "MicroWing" range, too (remembering that my Tempest came from this source) and kits from Imai and ARII. Of these, the Imai IJN/IJA range was the standout, reflected in the fact that they were re-released by both Aoshima and Hasegawa. The inclusion of a decently detailed airfield vehicle with most kits really added to their value. The only area really lacking detail was the cockpit which took the "flared over" approach typical of the scale at the time.

If we do go down this path, Scalemates is an excellent resource with its "family tree" representation of kits. Could make it any kit with origins dating back to, say, pre-1980. Adapting David's quote, we could call it the "Sow's Ear to Silk Purse" GB! :twisted:
OTB ...

Return to “Off the Shelf - Finished Entries”