Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Mark W - Migs vs the World

Spitfire versus Bf109? MiG-15 versus Sabre? Stuka versus T-34? Martians versus humans? Any pair of 1/144-scale items that were pitted against each other in mortal combat are fair game. Get those creative juices flowing ...
Runs from 7 May 2016 to 17 July 2016.
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144
1/144 Interest: No

Re: Mark W - Migs vs the World

Post by Mark_W »

Hi,

Used alclad for the first time on the Viet mig.

Dried absolutely hard as nails, which is great. But wasn't happy with the finish as it was grainy and rough in places:
01-viet-alclad.JPG
Sanded back and tried Vallejo metallics - really nice finish this time!
02-viet-vallejo.JPG
For the Iraqi mig, upper surface camo has been masked and painted.
03-iraq.JPG
04-iraq-masked.jpg
Used Gunze Tan H27 for the lighter colour - this is gloss and dried a bit lumpy. Sanded back a bit using tamiya sanding sponges - this also had the effect of reducing contrast of the colours and "weathering" the surface - though I went a bit far in a couple of places and sanded back to primer!
05-iraq-mask-removed.JPG
Planning on some more masking and painting this weekend...

Mark

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Post by Mark_W »

Here's some more progress on the Egyptian mig:

Blutacked the 1/144 scale plans to some tamiya tape...
1 bluetack.jpg
...cut using a sharp knife...
2 cut.JPG
...applied masks..
3 apply.JPG
...painted green...
4 painted.JPG
...and the reveal...
5 voila.JPG
It's been a big masking day with some multicolour schemes. Should have more progress tomorrow.

Mark

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Looking good Mark. Interesting that your experience was not good with the Alclad paints.

Ian

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Mark the masking is working well. They are looking great.
Regards
Peter

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Jonathan »

They are coming along nicely!

grainy finish with alclad suggests air pressure too high.

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Post by Mark_W »

Hi,

Here's the results of a big weekend of masking:

USSR - reasonably happy with this. Possibly too much contrast between the greens and a bit of touch-up required on dark green:
ussr-reveal.JPG
Syria - good finish, but I think the H306 grey used was too light and looks too blue against the other colours. Thinking of remasking and repainting the grey.
syria-reveal.JPG
Slovak - pretty good. The white was surprisingly easy to get coverage over the grey. Some touch up required on the black which has now been done.
slovak-reveal.JPG
Here's the lineup at this stage:
reveal-lineup-top.JPG
reveal-lineup-front.JPG
For the alclad, I take your point on air pressure Jonathan. Feels like the Vallejo gives a bit more room for error and fumes are a lot milder than alclad. Will see whether the Vallejo masks well and whether it wears with handling. I've tried Gunze and Humbrol metallisers and this was where I've had issues in the past.

Also, with getting the contrast between colours right, this is proving to be a bit of an issue with masked schemes because you can't assess how the colours balance until they are all done. In particular, greens appear to be much darker than you would expect in contrast to other colours.

I'm thinking of making some paint tiles so I can figure out the schemes more reliably before painting.

Mark

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

That is looking really good Mark. I agree that it is sometimes difficult to judge what colours are appropriate to get the right tone to work when dealing with a small scale such as 1/144.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Agreed! What is amazing me is how you are managing to get such good coverage applying light colours over dark. The usual way is dark over light ... or at least I thought so! :P
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Hey Greg, sometimes the light over dark allows for a degree of preshading. A lot of armour guys (me included when I am doing a 72 or 48 scale vehicle) start their paintwork on a tank or vehicle with an overall spray of black in various forms including straight black, Nato black (greenish) and rubber or tire black (grey black). You just have to notch everything a bit lighter to allow for the basecoat/primer darkness. It's a matter of taste I guess and what you are trying to achieve. I am impressed with Marks work. Looks pretty darned good :mrgreen: .

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Post by Mark_W »

Thanks guys!

I tend to paint in the reverse order in which the paint would have been applied in real life.

For the Slovakian Mig, it looks like the black was applied last, so this makes it easiest to mask first and get smoother edges.Then grey to more easily cover black, then white.

The basecoat does make a big difference to the final finish though. I think this may have partially been the issue with the Syrian mig. The grey used on Slovak and Syria is the same, but it appears much darker on the Slovak because of the base coat.

Mark

Return to “Group Build 4: Adversaries”