Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg's Spitfire Mk VIII versus A6M2 Zero, Borneo 1945

Spitfire versus Bf109? MiG-15 versus Sabre? Stuka versus T-34? Martians versus humans? Any pair of 1/144-scale items that were pitted against each other in mortal combat are fair game. Get those creative juices flowing ...
Runs from 7 May 2016 to 17 July 2016.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Smeg's Spitfire Mk VIII versus A6M2 Zero, Borneo 1945

Post by smeg1959 »

OK, first things first. Briefly, I looked at the following possibilities ...
  • Hurricane Mk I (Sweet) versus MC.200 Saetta (Sweet) - I am looking at dogfights that took place between Saettas of 4°Stormo and Hurricanes of the Yugoslav AF. Lift Here! have a decal sheet that covers a couple of examples of the latter.

Spitfire Mk VIII (backdated Eduard Mk IXc) versus either Ki.43 Hayabusa (Revell) or A6M2 Zero (Sweet) - I have the KitsWorld sheet for the former, which includes a couple of RAAF options that served over Borneo in early 1945, including Hava Go Jo! As cowleyi has already done a masterful version of this particular plane, I'd probably build the other option, Avagrog. I've researched Japanese fighters that operated from Burma between Dec 1944 and Apr 1945 and profiles of both an Oscar and a Zero give enough detail to allow either to be modeled.

Hurricane Mk I (Sweet) versus Bf109E (refinished F-Toys) - I've got two of the Sweet boxings of the Hurricane (i.e. 4 planes in total). Whilst I've already used one from the "Aces" kit to model Gleed's all-black night fighter in the previous GB, I've still got the other which could end up as Stanford-Tuck's DT-A. Whilst I have a wealth of 109s already in the shelf, there's many more that could be modeled, and plenty of reference material covers the type during the Battle of Britain.
More to follow ...
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Australia

Re: Smeg's Spitfire Mk VIII versus A6M2 Zero, Borneo 1945

Post by cowleyi »

The Macchi vs the hurricane would be interesting due to the theatre of ops. I presume the camo on the macchi would not be smoke rings over desert yellow/sand?

Sounds great.... Look forwards to whatever you decide to build :)
Ian

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

OK, I'm going with Spitfire versus Zero for the first pairing ... assuming I get time to start a second. I was split between this pairing and the Hurricane/Saetta, but to do the latter I would need to order in the Life Here! decals for the Yugoslav Hurricane and finances are very strained at the moment. At least I have the decals for the RAAF Spitty and can improvise those for the Zero. So, without further ado, here are the adversaries ...

Supermarine Spitfire Mk VIII, A58-526 "Avagrog", 79 Squadron - Ref: KitsWorld "Warbirds" decals
Supermarine Spitfire Mk VIII - Avagrog (00a).jpg
Supermarine Spitfire Mk VIII - Avagrog (00a).jpg (61.31 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
Supermarine Spitfire Mk VIII - Avagrog (00b).jpg
Supermarine Spitfire Mk VIII - Avagrog (00b).jpg (9.57 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
Supermarine Spitfire Mk VIII - Avagrog (01).jpg
Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero, "31-130", 331st Kokutai - Ref Rising Decals
Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero - 331 Kokutai (00a).jpg
Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero - 331 Kokutai (00b).jpg
Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero - 331 Kokutai (00b).jpg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero - 331 Kokutai (01).jpg
Whilst the scheme for the Zero states "Balikpapan Airbase, Borneo, New Guinea, October 1944", I am going to assume that this particular aircraft was still flying in early 1945 around the fall of Morotai, a small island around 500 km NW of New Guinea. Certainly, from what I can gather, the 331st Kokutai was in and around the conflict, so an encounter with Spitfires of 79 Squadron (which took up residence at Morotai shortly after its capture by Allied forces) isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Apart from that, the grey tail and wingtips adds a point of difference to the standard green upper camo so often used by the IJN.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

OOOOooooooh that looks really good.

A real cracker!

Ian

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

OK, before we start, do we have a Japanese speaker in the room? Or at least someone who can translate a little? :?: :?: :?:

Here is the Sweet instruction sheet that comes with the so-called "Green Version" of the A6M2:
What I'm after are the colours for (i) the cockpit interior, (ii) the radial engine, (iii) the area under the canopy and (iv) the wheel wells. I'm interested to see what Sweet suggests as there seems to be some conflict over the exact colours for various internals on IJN and IJA aircraft. I've painted both wheel wells and cockpit interiors that metallic bluish aotake in the past. Whilst a number of references suggest the wells were this colour, there's others that mention a grey-green. And the cockpit is more of a yellowish-green not a million miles away from the colour in RAF birds.
OTB ...

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

dunno but here is one description I found on someone's model painting;
'Now purist might boo me on this one but I have used this color combo before and won contests with it. I used British interior green for the side walls and any cockpit framing. A light wash of thinned out black changes the tone just a bit and brings out the detail nicely. The floor got painted a wood tan color and the foot petals, control stick and seat with backing got a coat of Floquil Old Silver." and
"I painted the engine cylinder heads steel and highlighted it in black. The crank case cover was painted in dark grey and washed in a black ink wash to bring out the small detail. You really don’t have to go overboard on detailing because the radiator covers a lot of the front of the engine"
Regards
Peter

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Wege »

Agreeing with Peter on the cockpit... I have used Humbrol 78 a number of times for it...(my Zekes that is)

Regarding the wheel wells and the engine bay interior (which you can really only see the plastic before the radial engine), I have painted that in Humbrol 27002 Buffing alu. and then made a small mix of Tamiya Translucent green and blue then painted that over top. Seems to look right.

Now, regarding that weird yellow/puce green similar to American Interior greens.. I think that those were for occasional instances with Nakajima making different A6Ms for either wheel wells or cockpit interior (sorry, don't recall exact instances ) but it was a colour that was also used on Army/Air Force craft too.. (Ki61 etc)

For the engine I have painted mine black before and then dry brushed silver over that... and made a mix of 'Blue Angels Blue' with matt-black for the anti-glare paint in front of the cockpit (not all the time though)

Please be careful of the 'do not walk' decals - they can be prone to air-bubbles.

Another thing to (generally) be aware of with the paint job of Nakajima vs Mitsubishi - the paint demarcation line along the fuselage... One manufacturer did it as a straight line and the other as a constant curve.. (Mitsubishi did the curve I think?... only 80% shure of that..)

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Hello Smeg,

Yes I concur, for the interior of the zero I have used gunze interior green or of you are brush painting Citadel elysian green which is lighter in tone. I rarely use pure black anymore. I have substituted tyre black or NATO black, I find it (to my eye) better and can be lightened with dark grey. The gunze metallic blue green (H63) is a pretty good match I think to that metallic blue of some of the wheel wells.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll go with my trusty Lifecolor UA004 for the Spitty interior and tweak the same colour a little for the Zero. Probably stick with the Gunze Aotake in the wheel wells. Oh and Peter, when I read that quote, the first sentence rang a bell. I'd visited that page (a Modelling Madness article covering a build of the 1/48 Nichimo Ki-43-I) whilst looking for possible adversaries for my RAAF Spitty. Great minds and all that.

Now armed with all this juicy info, just have to find the time to actually start construction. Chaos still reigns supreme outside of the Man Cave. :cry:
OTB ...

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Predictably, progress has been in fits and spurts so far. That being said, I do have the fuselage, wing and tail assemblies in place and primed for both aircraft. Having built a Sweet Hurricane and admired the exemplary finesse and fit of all parts, I hoped for similar with the Zero and, with the exception of a minor issue involving the locating tab on one of the tailplanes, I can safely say that I'm again impressed with this company's product. Before affixing the wing section, I installed a floor for the cockpit using a bit of plastic card. My intention is to construct a suitable seat, again from card, and drop it into the cockpit in the next couple of days.
Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero - 331 Kokutai (02).jpg
You will note the upturned wingtips. The Sweet kit features separate parts for the tips which can be glued in the usual extended position or this elevated arrangement. For a bit of variety, I've gone with the latter although I have reservations that this A6M2b may never have spent time on a carrier. One part of me worries about this. The other says, "So sue me!" :roll:

I then turned my attention to the Eduard Spitfire and expected much the same in terms of finesse and fit. In terms of the former, again very good although panel lines and other surface details are definitely wider than those on the Sweet kits. However, let's say the fit aspect hasn't met my lofty expectations thusfar. Firstly, there was some noticeable misalignment between the two fuselage halves, with the port nose section being marginally wider horizontally than its starboard counterpart. Nothing a little sanding couldn't fix. However, I did have major issues with the fit of the wing to the assembled fuselage. At first I thought my plastic card cockpit (this time firewall, control panel and floor but again sans seat at the moment) must have been getting in the way, but I quickly discovered that the fault lay in the base of the fuselage. It necessitated quite a bit of trial and error whittling until the wing section finally nestled into the correct position.

I suspect that addressing the first alignment issue resulted in the second ... anyone else found this? In the end, all's well but the next Eduard Spitty I make, I'll check this area out prior to sticking anything to anything.
Supermarine Spitfire Mk VIII - Avagrog (02).jpg
Next stop ... somewhere for the respective pilots to park their derrieres.
OTB ...

Return to “Group Build 4: Adversaries”