Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg's Spitfire Mk VIII versus A6M2 Zero, Borneo 1945

Spitfire versus Bf109? MiG-15 versus Sabre? Stuka versus T-34? Martians versus humans? Any pair of 1/144-scale items that were pitted against each other in mortal combat are fair game. Get those creative juices flowing ...
Runs from 7 May 2016 to 17 July 2016.
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144
1/144 Interest: No

Re: Smeg's Spitfire Mk VIII versus A6M2 Zero, Borneo 1945

Post by Mark_W »

Looking good!

Disappointed to hear about the fit issues with the Spitfire. Will watch your build with interest!

Mark

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Hello Smeg, I have found with the Spitfires a little bit of variation with the wing / Fuselage join. Sometimes it has been pretty close to how it should be, on others the join has needed a bit of work.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Ian, my current kit definitely falls into the "others" category ... :(

A quick update on the seats ... well, seat singular as time has been limited this evening. Referring to some online pics, I built up the Zero seat using a couple of thin pieces of plastic card. To get the curve on the side pieces, I used my trusty hole punch to made a semi-circular hole, then trimmed off one end. A few holes in the back typical of the seats in many Japanese aircraft, a coat of interior green, a pair of decal belts and, whilst a little rough in spots (very evident when magnified in the photo below), the result isn't too bad.
Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero - 331 Kokutai (03).jpg
Installed in the cockpit, a few "instruments" painted on the front panel and a joystick stuck to the floor and the overall effect is quite pleasing IMHO. True, the cockpit walls are way too thick but I am not intending on having the canopy open anyway.
Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero - 331 Kokutai (04).jpg
Now if I was AND there had been a few doubloons in the bank account, I would have gone and bought some of those neat Brengun PE seats. Or even the PE fret specifc to the Sweet A6M2. Maybe another time ...

PS. Mmmm, looking at the second pic, I see a hairline crack has opened up in front of the cockpit. Note to self - fix it, boyo!
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Looking good there Greg/
I did exactly the same for correcting the seats on the Wirraway as well!
I wouldn't worry too much about the side wall thickness of the cockpit area as the glazing (even vacform) will hide it (unless you opt to have a open cockpit).
Regards
Peter

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

She is looking good. Meanwhile The IL-2 is finished and the Me109 is undergoing paint.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

I'm watching that Sturmovik and Friedrich combo with considerable interest, Ian ... and not a little envy, either! :mrgreen:

As for my combo, there's a problem. A BIG problem. As I was using the KitsWorld instructions as my reference, I neglected to notice a major problem with the profiles of the two RAAF Mk VIIIs (Hava Go Jo and Avagrog). Anyone spotted it? The rudder, the bloody rudder! Essentially derived from the Mk VII, most Mk VIIIs (and certainly the bulk serving with the RAAF) had the larger "pointed" rudder. Instead of using the Eduard Mk IXc kit as the basis for this build, I should have been using the Mk IXe. What a total twonk! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Only twigged tonight whilst leafing through Frank Smith and Peter Malone's Spitfire Markings of the RAAF Part 2. As I can find no record at all of a Mk IXc in combat with the IJN, my only recourse is to ... eh ... start again, this time with a Mk IXe. I am clearly having trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Of course, the partially-constructed Mk IXc won't go to waste. It will now be completed as Eduard intended, as a IXc. I'd always intended that one of the pair out of the box would be finished as a photo-reconnaissance aircraft of 16 Squadron using the JBr decals I bought from Jiri, so that's one possibility. On the other hand (and this could well depend on how much time remains in the current GB after the Zero/Mk VIII combo is completed), I could hold off on the PR option temporarily and examine possibilities for finishing the IXc as a combat machine versus ... you guessed it ... an adversary from the European Theatre of Operations. I've looked briefly in the stash and the most obvious opponents, an Fw190D or Bf109G, aren't available. I do have an F-Toys' Ta152H but can find no record of one in combat with any Spitfire, let alone a Mk IXc. A more novel pairing could have been with my unbuilt Kami de Koro Re2005, but it seems most dogfights between the Sagittario and the Spitfire involved the Mk Vc version of the latter.

Oh well, something else to mull over ...
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Greg, I have a pointed rudder that is an accessory part for the Mk.VIII I can send you.
You can see it in this photo in the bottom right:
spitfire-alls.jpg
Regards
Peter

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Jonathan »

smeg1959 wrote:
Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero - 331 Kokutai (03).jpg
Installed in the cockpit, a few "instruments" painted on the front panel and a joystick stuck to the floor and the overall effect is quite pleasing IMHO...
That chair is a very impressive - you could sell those!

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Hey Greg,

Don't panic... I did a similar thing, put an E wing on instead of a C wing (canon in the wrong place) ooops :oops:

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

pbhawkin wrote:Greg, I have a pointed rudder that is an accessory part for the Mk.VIII I can send you.
Many thanks for the offer, Peter. In fact, I have one of your Mk VIIIs in the stash and the thought did occur. However, I have decided that the IXc will be finished as Eduard intended it and one of the IXe's will be converted. And Ian, I did note Tom's feedback when you posted the photos of your beautiful Hava Go Jo, so once the IXe is under construction, the armament will be tweaked accordingly.

And thanks for the thumbs up on the seat, Jonathan. I was a bit clumsy with the CA glue that evening. Will try to be a tad neater when I do the one for the Spitty. :oops:
OTB ...

Return to “Group Build 4: Adversaries”