Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Peter's Wirraway V Ki-43-I Oscar

Spitfire versus Bf109? MiG-15 versus Sabre? Stuka versus T-34? Martians versus humans? Any pair of 1/144-scale items that were pitted against each other in mortal combat are fair game. Get those creative juices flowing ...
Runs from 7 May 2016 to 17 July 2016.
Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No

Re: Peter's Wirraway V Ki-43-I Oscar

Post by Wege »

Cheers for that...

Peter... I just had a possible idea.

You know how you can shape down a piece of sprue (triangle, square, oval etc) to keep the shape when stretched over a flame.. what about doing a cylinder sprue.. and poking holes in it.. oh wait.. darn.. it will just make then 'valleys' instead of holes/dents.

Darn. Ozmods for a 50cal barrel and mod it down?
What about from shapeways for those soldiers.. I think there was an MG two on there?

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

That is good progress, What paint did you use for the green?

Ian

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

All paints used so far are Pollyscale brand RAAF colours Foliage Green, Earth Brown and Sky Blue. They are excellent acrylics but sadly not available any more.
Regards
Peter

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Thanks Peter, oh that's a bugger.... I am always on the look out (not that I can afford a new collection) for brush paintable acrylics for those jobs when an airbrush can't do the job......

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

pbhawkin wrote:All paints used so far are Pollyscale brand RAAF colours Foliage Green, Earth Brown and Sky Blue. They are excellent acrylics but sadly not available any more.
I've one of the two Lifecolor box sets for the RAAF, and this includes the three colours mentioned here. Airbrushes well (although a bit prone to drying on the needle and blocking flow) and goes on nicely with a brush. Unfortunately, my local source Metro Hobbies have recently discontinued selling the entire Lifecolour range. Now its Tamiya, Humbrol (acrylics and enamels) and Vallejo. I suspect that the day my Foliage Green or Earth Brown runs out, I'll need to work out which of these ranges will provide me with suitable alternatives. To start with, I know it will not be Tamiya ...
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Hey Smeg...... Gunze Acrylic H302 FS34092 green is the callout for foliage green for the 72 scale Hasegawa aussie Beaufighters. Dunno how accurate it is but looks in the ballpark. BNA should have it.

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

A small bit of progress.
I have use 0.3mm wire for the rollover protection and some aluminium foil for the pilots headrest and cap at the top of the rollover bars.
I used some decals for the instrument panels (the Wirraway retained the dual controls of the Texan as far as I am aware. Certainly the Wirraway I flew in did). So I need to add the rear seat joystick and maybe a throttle box and of course seat belts.
interior.jpg
Regards
Peter

Ryan B.
Flight #288
Flight #288
United States of America

Post by Ryan B. »

I believe the Ki-43-I listed by Mr. Hawkins above, the one restored in NZ, has accurate colors for the period when the 11th sentai was in New Guinea. I've attached a picture of said aircraft found on p.36 of FAOW #65. I also think the paint scheme was after the scheme--or remnants of the scheme--found on the actual Ki-43 when it was found on New Britain. By 1944 the 11th was flying Ki-43-IIs in China, preparatory to returning to Japan to transition to the ki-84.
Attachments
oscar1.jpg

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Hi Ryan,
I see you post on J-aircraft.com as well.
So the plane should be in a Green colour ( as per the NZ example) rather than IJA brown like above? Should the underside be bare metal or Grey do you know?
Regards
Peter

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Looking good! There can't be too many people in the world that can boast a Wirraway in their collection. 8-)
Information I've seen on the Hayabusa indicates that the undersides were natural metal. I recall reading in Flightpath or Warbirds Down Under that two of the original pilots from that unit visited the aircraft in NZ and complimented the accuracy if the paint scheme. They did however mention the fuselage bands were the wrong colour, and they were repainted the following day.

Return to “Group Build 4: Adversaries”