Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Peter's Wirraway V Ki-43-I Oscar

Spitfire versus Bf109? MiG-15 versus Sabre? Stuka versus T-34? Martians versus humans? Any pair of 1/144-scale items that were pitted against each other in mortal combat are fair game. Get those creative juices flowing ...
Runs from 7 May 2016 to 17 July 2016.
pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Australia

Re: Peter's Wirraway V Ki-43-I Oscar

Post by pbhawkin »

Thanks.
Ok, so have settled on the natural metal undersides.
Would the upper surface paintwork be weathered and chipped with peeling paint like in late war Japanes planes? I suspect not. on page 2 post 4 of this thread is a model showing a fair not of weathering, is this reasonable considering the timeframe of Dec 1942?
Regards
Peter

Ryan B.
Flight #288
Flight #288
United States of America

Post by Ryan B. »

Hi, Peter. You can of course choose whichever paint scheme you favor. I'm curious about the all-brown Oscar illustrated in your first attached image,(Oscars are a particular favorite of mine) as I've not seen it illustrated before. Perhaps it's an interpretation of an aircraft others might interpret as green. Many of the 11th sentai's ki-43-Is were actually ex-64th sentai Oscars passed on as the 11th and 1st sentais moved through Burma down to NG, so their well-documented paint schemes might be a good starting point. The lightning bolt, however, does seem a bit wide, but it may match a photo or illustration I haven't seen.

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Yes, yu are probably correct in all you say Ryan.
Here are the links to the two 'Brown' models:
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/build ... 4820.shtml
http://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/j/jamison43.htm
Although on different websites and the model themselves were built 4 years apart (2005 and 2009) the wording is just a cut and paste between them! There is no reason he chose this colour other than "I wanted an IJA brown plane to offset my green Zero and Metal/palm frond Tony. So I choose an aircraft from 11th Hiko-Sentai of the Dutch East Indies circa 1942".
I agree that the Lightning bolt is wider than the profiles and pictures show. Maybe the 'Super Scale' decals are not so 'super' after all!

EDIT:
further digging found this 3 page topic:
http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=10409.0
http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php ... c=10409.15

And so now I am happy that the plane should be Green with some Tan/brown areas and either a Blue or White Lightening bolt as per the profile on page 2 of th elink
Regards
Peter

Ryan B.
Flight #288
Flight #288
United States of America

Post by Ryan B. »

Thanks, Peter. I'd missed that thread.
If you want to get weirder, there was a blue Ki-43-I of the 1st sentai found on New Britain as well.

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

So, national insignia added (awaiting some decals from Methusla for the code) and a couple of layers of paint fading done.
I am trying the true-earth.com range of resin paint/washes on the wings and upper fuselage areas. I used the 'paint fading 2' in the centre of each panel and wiped off after a few seconds with a wet brush then used 'paint fading 1' as a overall filter. I few more goes needed with some exhaust to the upper surfaces and then I need to tone down the under surface and add some grim and dirt etc.
I have added the Black (weathered to a grey colour) 'walk here' decals on either side of the cockpit.
Also, I tried to do the throttle and mixture control (Red and White) but they are too big and so I have taken them off.
The front guns have been added too.
weathering.jpg
Regards
Peter

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Little time to do much over the last week, but the Oscar has arrived as have some Grey decals for the code and serial on the Wirraway.
I have a Silver Ki-43-1 from F-toys. A lovely detailed model and, to me, a surprisingly thin/narrow rear fuselage.
Interestingly it has the fabric control surfaces painted a pale Blue (they should be a pale grey/green I believe). I have also sanded off the upper wing Hinomaru in preparation for doing a coat of hairspray and then an overall Green followed by some light chipping. As this aircraft was shot down in Dec of 1942 it probably did not have the wear and tear that we see typically on Japanese aircraft in the later years of the war.
Regards
Peter

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Grabbed the chips, found the comfy chair and settled in to watch. :D Really really looking forwards to how this turns out.

Ian

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Still watching and enjoying immensely. :D
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Thanks for the support :D
Here are top and bottom photos of the F-Toys Oscar.
The underside I will leave except for adding the Aotoke in the well wells and changing the colour of the fabric control surfaces and (maybe) the Yellow ID band on the leading edge of the wings. Not sure if they had these at this time of the war?
The top has had the roundels sanded off and I will repaint with a little touch of Silver just in case one of the future chipping areas happens to reveal some Red by mistake.
oscar.jpg
oscarb.jpg
This photo shows me trying to make a master for the vacform canopy. On the left is a mold of the inside of the plastic F-toys canopy with a vacform sheet pulled over it (leaving a clear canopy with no framing). It is a little too small in width :( The larger Blue blob is where I pushed the canopy into the material to make a female mold where the vacform sheet will be pulled into it (hopefully! I need to make some small air vents to allow the vacuum to pull the material into all the corners yet) making a vacform canopy the exact size as the original. It will however have the framing lines on it. My backup plan is that the F-toys (or Platz or for that matter the FeResin and Valom) canopy will of course fit and as this conversion requires you to have one of these kits for the rest of the parts anyway it won't be a problem if the vacform canopy is not better than the plastic one!
vacforms.jpg
Regards
Peter

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

:D looking pretty darned good.

Ian