Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

F_IV's Tempest MkV vs V-1 Doodlebug

Spitfire versus Bf109? MiG-15 versus Sabre? Stuka versus T-34? Martians versus humans? Any pair of 1/144-scale items that were pitted against each other in mortal combat are fair game. Get those creative juices flowing ...
Runs from 7 May 2016 to 17 July 2016.
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Re: F_IV's Tempest MkV vs V-1 Doodlebug

Post by F_IV »

Thanks for the kind words!

Peter, I use the lead from water colour pencils and scrape these onto a palette then mix with water. One pencil would last forever and could easily be left to your grandchildren if they show an interest in 1/144 scale modelling.

The temptation is to apply too much though and only the most watery mix will do. It needs to be applied to the panel joins only and the excess wiped away before it dries and leaves a stain. I found if I got too carried away I could mix a close colour to the paintwork and apply that to the panel line to tone it down again. I keep the scrapings in little plastic boxes like that below.

Missed out on a chance to do any airbrush work today. Sunday morning is my only opportunity and the Minister of entertainment finance and culture had other plans for me this time. :cry:
Managed to get the undercarriage put together though. PVA mixed with Tamiya aqueous thinners is excellent for assembling small parts.

Decided to discard the V-1 trolley. I faithfully copied the Tamiya one that comes with the 1/48 scale kit, only to find that theirs is hugely simplified and hardly anything like the real thing. I found out the German name for the trolley - a very long word that was something like: Bingenderthingenoverherewagen and was able to bring up images of the actual beast. It's made of seemingly hundreds of parts. Appalled, I began looking for another option and found images of another little low trolley for schlepping the V-1 about in. This one actually gets pulled up onto the Bingenderthingen' when prepping for launch, but I actually liked it better because it lets me sit the V-1 closer to the ground with the Tempest towering over it. Hopefully I can get that build up and ready to paint for next weekend's spray session when I hope to get the V-1 painted. Otherwise it's going to be at the mercy of my awful brush painting skills... :oops:

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Looking good! Great tip about PVA!

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

These things always seem to take precisely as much time as you've got. :oops:

Is anyone else beavering away still? I've managed to get a squirt of blue-grey on the v1 and begin masking for the green top coat. Also got the new trolley together and hopefully it will look okay under a coat of RLM 02. This weekend is my last chance for a coat of paint before the deadline. Hopefully everything goes according to plan...

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Just unmasked and sat it on its trolley for a look. I really need to get more consistent with panel lines and probably should have spent some more time tidying up the wing roots. The trolley painted up surprisingly well though. I'll give it a few washes over the next day or so and add some mottling with a brush to the V-1's fin and engine support if I'm feeling brave enough.
Very pleased I've made it this far. All the other GB's have ended without me!

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Post by Mark_W »

Looking great f_iv!

Good luck with the mottling - tricky in 1/144

Mark

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Jonathan »

Your scratch built trolley wagon looks excellent!
Last edited by Jonathan on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Almost there!
Looking great.
Regards
Peter

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Those are looking amazing. What a great pair!

MattP
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
United States of America

Post by MattP »

NICE!!! Looking GREAT!!!

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Here's some final shots. Finally got a daylight hour to myself and snapped these this morning. I'm pretty happy with the Tempest. The thinned down prop blades, new canopy and panel lines give a really nice scale effect to an already excellent little kit. Its like a small, heavily armed and very warlike butterfly just landed on my desk...

Return to “Group Build 4: Adversaries”