Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Glehn - Lunar Landing Training Vehicle

Anything from a lunar lander to a gyrocopter, taking in jump-jets and conventional helicopters, one-off prototypes to mass produced designs. Basically, if it can take off vertically, then it's eligible!
Runs from 21 January 2017 to 10 April 2017.
glehn
Manufacturer
Manufacturer
1/144 Interest: No
Brazil

Glehn - Lunar Landing Training Vehicle

Post by glehn »

Since anything that can take-off vertically is valid for this GB, I will also build one of my 3D printed LLTV vehicles:

It is printed as a single piece in Frosted Ultra Detail, from Shapeways.

I am a big fan of the Space Program and this is a great opportunity to finish this.
The LLTV was used by Apollo astronauts during training for the lunar landings. It was designed to perform in Earth gravity in a similar way that the real lunar landers would under the Moon´s gravity. Neil Armstrong had to eject from one once after it went out of control.

It should be a very straight forward build. No assembly required, only cleaning and painting. I probably will add a base and maybe some astronaut figures walking around it.

Besides printing it in FUD, a couple of years ago I tested printing it in metal. It looks beautiful in Brass, although much more expensive than plastic:

I imagine printing it in silver would look awesome.

Regards,
Luis

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Re: Glehn - Lunar Landing Training Vehicle

Post by MerlinJones »

Oh, how 'modelling' technology has advanced!
I immediately got to thinking about the module inside the Airfix Saturn V.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Luis, that LLTV looks great. I recall seeing the 3D printing rig build by the technicians at Swinburne University (my employer) around 2010. Then I saw the Dimension One commercial unit they bought a couple of years later. Huge cost and now clearly obsolete resolution-wise. 3D printing and other rapid prototyping systems are definitely the way forward.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

glehn
Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Brazil

Post by glehn »

Not much progress here yet. Just cleaned and primed it.
For cleaning I am trying a product called Goo-gone that I bought during my last trip to the US. I have seen people recommending it at the Shapeways forum. It supposedly removes all the wax residue from FUD. It seems to have worked ok after a couple of minutes submerged in the stuff. I would not risk leaving the parts too long in there though. The plastic container I used became all distorted after a few days.

Looking at photographs of the real thing, I noticed that I missed some details on my 3D model, specially on the underside. I might try to add some details here:

Some printing marks are very visible, specially in the cockpit. Cleaning that will be a pain.

Regards,
Luis

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Luis, just checked the Goo-Gone website and looked at the Safety Data Sheet for the product. It contains petroleum distillates and it's fair to say prolonged contact with most plastics will cause distortion, so you're right not to have allowed the LLTV to soak too long in it.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

glehn
Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Brazil

Post by glehn »

Some little progress on this. I painted the structure with Vallejo liquid silver and then applied some light post-shading with Tamyia black.
I also added a small pilot to the cockpit. (on the back, you can see I am working on a NASA F-14 :) - another addition to my NASA collection).

I am thinking about how to display it. If I can find some transparent tubes I will try to pose it in flight over a base.

Regards,
Luis

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

How many jets does it have and would stretched transparent sprue do the trick?
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Post by TonyG2 »

Out of interest does anyone do a model in 1/144 of the Flying Bedstead aka the Rolls Royce Thrust Measuring Rig

It would be interesting to see these two "vehicles" side by side.....

Return to “Group Build 5: VTOL”