Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Austin 10 Staff Car

If it relates to Terra Firma, wheeled, tracked or booted - man or machine on the land - it goes here!
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Nambia

Austin 10 Staff Car

Post by ajmm »

Somewhere on a misty, rain-sodden airfield in Lincolnshire.*

I've come to like putting vehicles and ground equipment around my aircraft when I photograph them - I feel it brings the scene to life and gives a sense of scale. After completing my Fordors (and quite enjoying myself) I decided I needed the RAF equivalent - the only option being from this Shapeways seller. I know that the RAF mainly used the Hillman (rather than the Austin) and this scheme is pretty bogus on lots of counts (colour, markings etc.) but I had quite a lot of fun doing this over a couple of evenings all the same.

It is a tiny little thing. I actually wondered if it was underscale but I think it is actually not far off - maybe a smidgen short in the height department, but basically faithfully 1/144. Austin 10s are tiny, it turns out!

As usual there are lots of striations to clear up, many in tight spots or where overzealous sanding risks whipping off wing mirrors and door handles. I thought I'd done a good job but the photos show a few more left on the doors.

Paint was Hataka (lightened, or it is too dark), decals were I-94 and Lilliput Air Force (which does a set of decals for Willys and Austin 10s).

Good fun.

* if you’re curious as to why Bertram here appears to be rehearsing for the Squadron performance of Othello, the simple answer is that I haven’t yet painted his friends (really, he does have some despite the closet amdram). Armory’s raf crew. Beautifully cast.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Re: Austin 10 Staff Car

Post by smeg1959 »

That's a little beauty, Angus. For something this small, you'd have to go with the highest resolution material from Shapeways to show the excellent detail and minimise surface prep.

As for Bert, I'm glad you explained the background to his gesturing. For a moment, I thought he may have become disheartened by the Allies' progress and was practising his Germanic saluting! :lol:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

ID19
Flight #144
Flight #144
Germany

Post by ID19 »

Beautiful little model! And I fully agree, little extras like this make a lot of a difference when setting models in scene for a good photo!

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Thanks guys! Yes it was the highest resolution material - whatever Shapeways now call it.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Looks excellent. :shock:

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Lovely job.
Now to really test your eyesight how about adding the RAF codes along the edges of the bonnet!!!!???
Regards
Peter

Return to “1/144 Armour & Land Forces”