Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

SPz Marder 1 A2

If it relates to Terra Firma, wheeled, tracked or booted - man or machine on the land - it goes here!
ID19
Flight #144
Flight #144
1/144 Interest: Yes
Germany

SPz Marder 1 A2

Post by ID19 »

Didn't have much time during the last weeks (and won't have in the ones to come), but there's always some time and space for a little bit of modeling! 8-)
Being limited in space, I decided to start my first armored vehicle in 144 - and, to make it even more of a first night, in white metal! Ta Dah!
Following the many good advice and tips from the forum, I bought a couple of models from Arrowhead and started with the modern German SPz Marder, which, as I mentioned, I happen to have a soft spot for.
The model is quite good, although it has some flaws:
  • It's not an A3 (as indicated), but definitely an A2 (which suits me well)
    This is what you get for little money
    This is what you get for little money
      Lengh and hight are ok, but the track skirts are too thick in this material and make the model 1.5 mm too wide.
      IMG_20200718_212335290 (2).jpg
        The bow needs work to blend in the front and needs to be sanded/filed off at the bottom to make it round, as it actually is, not angled.
          The drivers/observers hatches are wrong, too small and lack their hinges, they were scratched.
          IMG_20200714_172431264 (2).jpg
            All hatches lack the distinctive bulge in the middle, tried to fix that with a blob of superglue.
              The turret has an indentation in the rear to enable the gun to be elevated to max. This is missing and I didn't correct it.
                There is some fine detail, but some rather prominent parts had to be added (holdings for track links, mirrors, light cross lamp etc).
              Since I have no decals (except the crosses), I tried to cut a 1/72 decal for the licence plate - not a good solution, either I find a decent decal sheet for modern German armor or hide it with dirt :mrgreen:
              After you have read so much - here are some first pictures (more details, paint touch ups and wheatering to follow)
              Fritz
              PS: Does anybody know a source for 144th armour decals?
              Attachments
              IMG_20200720_220314246_BURST000_COVER_TOP (2).jpg
              IMG_20200720_220327313 (2).jpg
              IMG_20200720_220247879 (2).jpg

Dave998
              Flight #144
              Flight #144
              1/144 Interest: No
              Canada

Re: SPz Marder 1 A2

Post by Dave998 »

Very nice work, indeed! I have come to enjoy working with white metal airplane kits, but I have to say that it seems more appropriate for armored vehicles. Your modifications look superb, as if molded in by the producer. Are you going to try more?

Namibia3011
              Flight #3
              Flight #3
              Germany

Post by Namibia3011 »

I use decals from TL-Decals in 1/160: https://tl-modellbau.de/Bundeswehr-Beschriftungen-1-160
              or the ones from the old Dragon PanzerKorps Kits: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Dragon-D14025-M ... SwL8BdJbhX

smeg1959
              JV 144 6 Star
              JV 144 6 Star
              Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

So used to WW2 Marders that I sometimes forget about the modern day ones. And yours is a little beauty! :mrgreen:

Another advert for Arrowhead (despite the flaws). My one criticism of their kits? Whilst most are straightforward enough, the occasional one would benefit from an accompanying exploded view. I've got one of the German guns and I'm still figuring out what goes where! :oops:
              OTB ...
              GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

bluedonkey99
              Site Admin
              Site Admin
              Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

I had the other experience, having first been exposed to German Marders in the 70s at base open days as APC/AFVs it seemed odd to me that the name had been used for during WWII for SPGs.

Nice rendition though.

ID19
              Flight #144
              Flight #144
              Germany

Post by ID19 »

Thanks for your encouragement! I think, I'll try some more. As a first batch I bought 2 PzKw 38(t), a Dodge Ambulance and 2 Kubelwagen (and 2 Marders, of course).
              For the price those Arrowhead models are really not bad, and with my choice there are no issues with the missing assembly instructions (what I did, however, when detailing e.g. the Miniwings Choctaw and Shawnee, is, that I referred to instructions from models in a larger scale. Could also be helpful for a gun)
              @namibia3011: thanks for the tip and the links! I even found some more in 1/160 - didn't think of that scale! Now I have to wait until the decals arrive . . . ;)

The name 'Marder' is indeed ambiguous, the more, as it's one of very few which were used again (oK, they made the Tiger fly). Looking in old docs, it seems, that initially names for equipment were not common in the Wehrmacht. They only became popular (among the troops) with the Tiger (and Panther later), and particularly with the publication of the Tiger Fibel (comic style handbook for crews). Marder, Hetzer, Nashorn, Hornisse, Wespe etc were usually referred to by their purpose: 105 mm howitzer (SFL), Panzerjäger 38(t) . . . Striking names were definitely used for propaganda purposes, same for airplanes (don't think any pilot flew a 'Sturmvogel' or 'Würger', they were referred to as Me-262s/Turbos or FW-190s)

After the war, the Bundeswehr went back to square one by naming their new vehicles quite plain Schützenpanzer kurz/lang, Jagdpanzer Kanone/Rakete, Bergepanzer Standard etc. That changed, when the Leopard was fielded. The tank was a success and (probably trying to capitalize on that) the following vehicles were all given names (Marder, Jaguar, Gepard, Fuchs, Luchs, Wolf, Keiler, Büffel, Iltis ...I could go on).
              And the names stick - German army crews and tactical orders use the names nowadays instead of the function.
              What I'm still waiting for is a vehicle called 'Löwe/Lion', apparently somebody still thinks there's room for improvement . . . :mrgreen:
              Fritz

smeg1959
              JV 144 6 Star
              JV 144 6 Star
              Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Löwe? Like this one? ;)

Some very useful info in your post, Fritz. Reminds me of the various names given to the He162. Volksjäger (People's Fighter) was the name given to the competition to design a cheap aircraft that could be built by largely unskilled workers, which of course gave rise to the 162 in the first place. Salamander was the name assigned to the construction program, and Spatz (Sparrow) was the name given to it by Heinkel. Like the Me262, pilots simply referred to it as the "162".
              OTB ...
              GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

ID19
              Flight #144
              Flight #144
              Germany

Post by ID19 »

smeg1959 wrote:
              Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:11
              Löwe? Like this one? ;)
              OK - but that was actually a Tiger - a paper tiger :roll:

smeg1959
              JV 144 6 Star
              JV 144 6 Star
              Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Actually, a lion-tiger crossbreed is referred to as a "liger" in both English and German. Perhaps the paper tiger could have been a Wehrmacht '46 "Liger"! :lol:
              OTB ...

ID19
              Flight #144
              Flight #144
              Germany

Post by ID19 »

:lol:
              yes, and the heavy version would be the 'Tion/Toewe'

Return to “1/144 Armour & Land Forces”