Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Antarctic Snow Cruiser with Staggerwing

If it relates to Terra Firma, wheeled, tracked or booted - man or machine on the land - it goes here!
MC84
Flight #2
Flight #2
1/144 Interest: No
Germany

Antarctic Snow Cruiser with Staggerwing

Post by MC84 »

Suitable to these temperatures at the moment, I got a new Model, finished one month ago.

For everyone who doesn’t know what the Antarctic Snow Cruiser is, please click here:
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/ ... ed/424851/

I like to build exotic topic, like this Model. Even in 1/144 is the Snow Cruiser a big Model (120mm long), only two Kits to my knowledge are available, 1/72 and 1/144. The Kit comes from BS Design, the quality for the Snow Cruiser is ok, the Staggerwing, not really.

But first, the Snow Cruiser: Not many Parts, the big Parts are ok, the Detailing is quite simple. I modified the exhaust pipes, added some Antennas, Searchlight, Wipers, headlights. The Decals are good, you had enough “spare” from the Cheatline.
Staggerwing: I had to rebuild the Struts between the Wings, added a new propeller (Wrong Design in the Kit) and rebuild the complete Gear. I should be a little bit more filigree but I’m satisfied with the Result. I painted the Windows at both models, the Decal color for the Cruiser was not very good and no Window Decals at the Staggerwing Sheet.

For the “wedding” of the two Kits, I used PE Chains from Shelf Oddity and added a strut for rear Landing gear.
Many times, the building was a small “war of nerves” but in the end, I was happy to have this in my collection. It’s time to return back to my beloved Zvezda Airliners :D

Marco
Attachments
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
In comparison to a Basler BT-67
In comparison to a Basler BT-67
With an UAZ-469
With an UAZ-469
14.jpg

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Re: Antarctic Snow Cruiser with Staggerwing

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Looks fantastic, Including the rigging and pin stripping!

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Fascinating stuff. I really enjoyed reading about that. Excellent result on the model too. I didn't appreciate how small it was until I saw the coin!

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

If it wasn't for the Staggerwing sitting atop the vehicle, you could be forgiven for thinking that the Snow Cruiser dates far more recently than 1939. Actually, I look at it and keep seeing it as a civvy version of the M577 APC in "Aliens"! You've done a brilliant job on what is a very unusual pairing. All of your extra detailing has been well worth the effort. Definitely a focus-getter in the display cabinet! :mrgreen:

I discovered BS Design through the forum earlier this year and remember commenting on the interesting choice of civilian aircraft covered in their range. For a German company to kit the Gippsland GA8 Airvan is particularly intriguing; the aircraft was designed and built in the Gippsland region of my home state of Victoria and, if the online resources are right, has only been operated here in Oz, across the ditch in NZ, by the California Highway Patrol and the Lesotho Defence Force! Then again, after Byrd's Snow Cruiser and Staggerwing, I'd say a company full of pleasant surprises. :D
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

MC84
Flight #2
Flight #2
Germany

Post by MC84 »

smeg1959 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:30
I discovered BS Design through the forum earlier this year and remember commenting on the interesting choice of civilian aircraft covered in their range. For a German company to kit the Gippsland GA8 Airvan is particularly intriguing; the aircraft was designed and built in the Gippsland region of my home state of Victoria and, if the online resources are right, has only been operated here in Oz, across the ditch in NZ, by the California Highway Patrol and the Lesotho Defence Force! Then again, after Byrd's Snow Cruiser and Staggerwing, I'd say a company full of pleasant surprises. :D
The big Problem with BS is the Quality, I also got the Piaggio P.180, very bad casting and the Decals are wrong, they had Tail what was never used on the plane, also the prints are dirty. Yes, very interesting range but a very poor implementation.

About the Gippsland, it's quite simple: It's operated by OLD (former OLT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OFD_Ostfr ... lug-Dienst)) which is based in Northern Germany, like me ;)

ID19
Flight #144
Flight #144
Germany

Post by ID19 »

Beautiful combo and perfectly done! Despite the flaws of the kit you mentioned, the little Staggerwing looks brilliant! Never seen one as a 144 model before.
Of course I visited the BS-Design webpage, but didn't find any aircraft (any more?) in 1/144, only airport eqipment. Are the planes no longer produced?
Fritz

MC84
Flight #2
Flight #2
Germany

Post by MC84 »

ID19 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 20:42
Never seen one as a 144 model before.
Hello Fritz,
I hear this quite often, also with other Models :D
ID19 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 20:42
Of course I visited the BS-Design webpage, but didn't find any aircraft (any more?) in 1/144, only airport eqipment. Are the planes no longer produced?
Fritz
The best way in Germay to get, is eBay, Seller: bier-sepp. Just Search for "BS Design 1/144"

Marco

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

This is magnificent. I love the little chains and rigging connecting the two. Brilliant work - very eye catching indeed.

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Great looking model(s). I love the extra details you added and the painting is very eye catching. The decals also look great, nice and sharp. Will look great on the display shelf.
Regards
Peter

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

MC84 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:46
About the Gippsland, it's quite simple: It's operated by OLD (former OLT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OFD_Ostfr ... lug-Dienst)) which is based in Northern Germany, like me ;)
Thanks for that; definitely explains the decision. Oddly enough, I live in Victoria and can't ever remember seeing a GA-8 anywhere! :oops:

And I forgot to commend you on the Basler BT-67 (the designation given to this turboprop conversion of the good ol' DC-3). Gorgeous! :mrgreen:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Return to “1/144 Armour & Land Forces”