Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Please, sir, can we have another Group Build?

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144
1/144 Interest: No

Re: Please, sir, can we have another Group Build?

Post by Mark_W »

Hi

I'm all for a Vietnam gb - count me in!

Mark

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Just did a little number crunching on the Group Builds to date:

GB1 Transport Aircraft - 21 build threads, 17 completions
GB2 Over the Water - 20 build threads, 16 completions
GB3 Black/Night - 21 build threads, 10 completions
GB4 Adversaries - 10 build threads, 16 completions
GB5 VTOL - 22 build threads, 26 completions
GB6 Biplanes - 7 build threads, 4 completions (in progress)
GB7 Vietnam War - 4 build threads, 0 completions (in progress)

After hitting a peak in GB5, things seem to have died away a fair bit in the current pair of Builds. I think a number of us expected the biplane build to have a lower number of participants for obvious reasons, but the Vietnam GB is proving something of a surprise, to me at least. True, one of our most prolific constructors, Merlin, is indisposed at the moment and we all hope for his speedy return to the Modelling Man Cave. And I've noted all the issues that are impacting on several members' input into the Builds. Still, food for thought.

Of course, my less-than-secret-agenda is to get more members off and running in either of the two current GBs, one which finishes at the start of October, the other at the end of that month (barring the usual extension). And I'll put my money where my mouth is and say that I am close to starting a second Vietnam build to go with my Canberra, though sadly it won't be Don Schmenk's F100 after all as I can't find it in the stash! :oops:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

I think GB5 was a bit of an anomaly given how many of the threads were mine. Work situation is a lot less forgiving now (added to which I have a small child, our first, to contend with from early-Oct). Ah well. I hope people still find GBs worthwhile - I v much enjoy them.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Gosh, I wonder what will be next?
There seems to be a fair number of Supermarine's finest available these days. Maybe a spurt of Spits?

nils
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Belgium

Post by nils »

im in for a spitfire GB, i have large numbers in stock.
or why not go more universal and do a World War 2 GB.
on the bench:
-Airbus A400M (Belgian AF)

planned:
-Area 88 Air Base diorama
-MH-60J Jayhawk
-3 x Sepecat Jaguar (RAF, France and Indian AF)

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Post by Mark_W »

I also have a few spitfires I'm keen to build.

Another possible extension- British fighters

Mark

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Another thought from Angus, spurred on by Miguel's build of the Fairy Kikaku Breda Ba.65 ... a "garage kit" GB. Definitely worth considering IMHO. I guess the only issue here would be what constitutes a "garage kit". We'd all agree that the likes of Fairy Kikaku, Kami de Koro and Airalex fall into this category. On the other hand, whilst Anigrand is also essentially a one man business, I don't think anyone would categorise it as a garage concern (unless it is a very BIG garage). I recall another one man venture, Wing144. Only managed to get one of his few resin releases before he pulled the plug, yet the kit rates as one of the finest resin items I've come across with exquisite casting throughout. Garage kit yes, modelling challenge not.

Anyway, I'm certainly game despite only attempting and finishing one aircraft for GB6 and currently struggling to squeeze in time on my trio of builds for GB7, primarily because of work commitments. I have quite a horde of KdK aircraft kits and several Fairy castings (the CW21, IAR81 and a number of AFVs).

Any thoughts?

PS. I do like the Spitfire idea as there's a number in the stash. Oh wait, that includes a Revell Mark I and a Minicraft Mk V ... :oops:
nils wrote:Or why not go more universal and do a World War 2 GB.
Whilst I'm a WW2 tragic and jump at the opportunity to build Luftwaffe aircraft every time, I can just imagine Merlin's thoughts when he reads this. "Way too inclusive!", methinks. Sorry for putting my words into your mouth, Mr Jones! Of course, we are currently covering an entire conflict in the Vietnam War GB but the breadth of options is significantly less. Given the latter covers almost 30 years (1946 - 1975), it says a lot about the huge number of developments that occurred in the comparatively short timeframe that was WW2.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Hmm. I'm suffering a Foxone Lysander at the moment.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

I've got the Finnish version with skis in the stash, so I understand the temptation. However, whilst Foxone certainly started as a garage business, I'm sure it wouldn't qualify now. Of course, the commonality between Anigrand, Foxone, Fairy, KdK and Airalex is that they all produce resin kits, so that's a worthy contender for a future GB IMHO. And it avoids debate over what is and isn't valid for the build. True, several of us have made resin items during past and present builds, but this would rope in all of the participants. As we've seen throughout the forum, the options are almost limitless - aircraft, AFVs, naval vessels, spacecraft, etc. And, from a learning viewpoint, it might be beneficial to those members who've never tried their hand at a resin kit before.

Of course, I could always revisit an earlier proposal that involved vacform kits but I can sense several regulars already suffering major palpitations at the mere thought! :twisted:
OTB ...

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

You know, I don't think we need to sweat it too much if the title of a GB is quite broad.

Unless I miss the point, the idea is for people to get involved, swap techniques/learn and kind of build in parallel. We are a sufficiently small (and, of course, elite :) ) band of modellers on this forum that I think we don't need to worry about having too inclusive a GB. What's the harm, ultimately? More people probably get involved. But since the most any GB has attracted thus far has been around 10 builders, I don't think there is any danger of ... whatever the danger is here. On other, bigger forums I could see the disadvantages - different here, I think. A final point: I also think that, although increasingly not the case, 144 modellers are more limited in what subjects they can choose, with less kitted (or kitted at a reasonable price) - hence the case for a broader scope or more relaxed definition (within reason).

So Smeg, I agree - I think Resin sounds like a good subject. I reckon, a loose definition (e.g. like Garage) and then leave it up to the common sense of the participants. There was also quite a lot of enthusiasm for non-aircraft to follow the Vietnam build I recall... I have some nice ideas for that.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Return to “Group Builds: General Discussion”