Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Ideas for Group Build 8

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Australia

Ideas for Group Build 8

Post by smeg1959 »

OK, here goes. Several members have already nominated topics for the next Group Build, ranging from Spitfires to resin kits. As Angus said elsewhere, we want to make it open enough that many will want to come and play. A particularly valid point given the fairly low number of participants in GB6 and GB7. That been the case, I suspect nominating a single aircraft type will be too restrictive, despite my undying love of Reg Mitchell's immortal creation (the Spitty, for the uninitiated). So, here's my tuppence-worth ...

- Resin kits (would obviously not be limited to aircraft)
- Prototypes and "what-ifs" (again, there's plenty of potential examples that aren't aircraft for those more into ships, tanks, spacecraft, etc.)
- Weaponry of a chosen country (was originally thinking RAF aircraft, then RAF Fighters OR RAF Bombers, then RAF Prop-driven Fighters, RAF Jet-powered Fighters, and so on, but again, why preclude those with only a passing interest in aviation?).

Probably should add the observation that, whilst I've gone into bat for the non-aviation afficionados (and I'm a "tankee" from way back), the only builds outside of aircraft so far have come from the space/SF realm, and many of those belonged to our goodly mate, Merlin. True, some GBs specified aeroplanes and helicopters, but the door was definitely ajar in GB3 (Black/Night), GB4 (Adversaries) and GB7 (Vietnam).

That's my starter for 5 points. Over to you, dear forum colleagues ... :D
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

nils
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Belgium

Re: Ideas for Group Build 8

Post by nils »

i would be in for the Prototypes & weaponry of ??? builds. but when it comes to resin, count me out.
as mentioned before, a ww2 build would allow more possibilities (tanks, vehicles, ships, aircraft,...)
on the bench:
-Airbus A400M (Belgian AF)

planned:
-Area 88 Air Base diorama
-MH-60J Jayhawk
-3 x Sepecat Jaguar (RAF, France and Indian AF)

glehn
Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Brazil

Post by glehn »

I like the resin idea. I think it would allow for very broad possibilities. But I would be fine with any of the proposed options.
Also, as I am finishing a Sea Harrier kit that I started several years ago, I thought that I would really enjoy a Falklands/Malvinas war theme, but I understand it might be a little too restrictive for some.

Regards,
Luis

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Wege »

the other... is have them at 6month blocs instead? :)

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Nice one Smeg!

Recon aircraft is one I’d be keen for too - lots of breadth in that and scope for scratching. I’m game for Prototypes as a second choice, non aircraft was raised before and I’d choose that as a number 3. What about a time like Swinging 60s, (bonus points for jazzy schemes - dayglo galore).

I’m sure I’ve seen a poll function somewhere on this forum but I can’t find it anywhere now. When we’ve collated ideas shall we try that out?

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

Wege wrote:the other... is have them at 6month blocs instead? :)
I like this idea. Only then I would consider joining in.

Lex

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

ajmm wrote:I’m sure I’ve seen a poll function somewhere on this forum but I can’t find it anywhere now. When we’ve collated ideas shall we try that out?
Yes, I used it to gauge the feelings of members on which SCW aircraft they would like to see in the scale. The Pollcode site is still active (even if all of our earlier surveys are not), so when we've built up a suitable series of options, I will generate the poll.

In other words, keep the ideas a-rolling in ... :D

PS. Interesting idea from Wege and Lex re: a half-year-long GB. At first, I thought, whoa! But looking at the Vietnam GB, we actually started that back in July and we're now heading for a December conclusion. Does time fly? Now this might not be the approach of many other modelling forums around the globe but who says we have to travel down the well-trodden path? Anyway, more food for thought.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

The option to generate a poll on the forum comes up for those with the appropriate permissions as a tab when creating a new topic. I recall the poll code site have different options and greater accessibility for non forum. Members (perhaps Less of an issue with group builds)?

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Don't see this as being an issue, BD99. Incidentally, my old login at Pollcode had been deactivated, probably because of a lack of recent activity. Established a new login today so once everyone has had their say, I will create the poll.
OTB ...

b.l.stryker
JV 144
JV 144
Germany

Post by b.l.stryker »

How about everything related to navy and marines. You can build anything there as well.

Return to “Group Builds: General Discussion”