Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Group Build 10 - POLL NOW ACTIVE!

bootneck42
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

Re: Group Build 10

Post by bootneck42 »

All for one and 144 all

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

F_IV wrote: So could the Sweet Hurricane. Are there any more?
If you have the "Fabric Wing" boxing, all of the RAF examples are prewar. Even has the early 2-bladed prop as an option. There's also the Polikarpov I-16 (Armoury, Zvezda) and I-15bis (Armoury), as well as the Yakovlev UT-1 and UT-2 "3 kits in a box" from Mikro-Mir.

Larger options would be AZModel's Fokker VII/3m and Revell's Junkers G38. And not forgetting golden oldies like the Airfix Boeing 314 Clipper and the Otaki/Entex/Matchbox/Revell Dornier Do.X.

If you can get them, gashapon that could easily be backdated include the Swordfish and the Ki.15 "Babs".

So for those fearing that they might have to resort to resin or vacform, there's certainly a few injection moulded options available that cover the Interwar period.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

F_IV wrote:Theres a few interwar types kitted that I can think of

Mark I Gladiator
F-Toys Macchi M.20/M.72 Schneider Trophy racers
Minicraft/Roden Douglas DC-3's
Airfix HP.42
Armory Bf-109B-C/ Polikarpov I-15
Sweet A5M's
Valom Fokker DVII (Polish or USA)/Bristol F2B

The Eduard Spitfire could be converted quite readily to an early Mk I. So could the Sweet Hurricane. Are there any more?
The AZ Models Fokker VII also comes as the VIIb/3m, the Ro.10 and Avro 618 Ten.
Then there's the;
Airfix Boeing 314 Clipper
Anigrand Kalinin K-7 (plus 3 suitable bonus kits)
Anigrand Sikorsky JR2S-1
CMR Douglas DC-2/C-33/C-39
Eduard Avia B.534
Eduard Junkers Ju.52
FE Resin Yokosuka (Kugisho) E1Y2/3
Frsin Couzinet Arc-en-Ciel
Frsin Dewoitine D.338
Mark 1 Brewster Buffalo (just!)
Revell Junkers G38
Valom SE5a etc
Zvezda Po-2

SRAM do a load of resin biplanes, many of which served post-WW1.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

If we venture into resin options, others to add to Merlin's list are ...

Kami de Koro Koro - Many of KdK's products are Tween the Wars' aircraft, I suspect reflecting Kami's own interest in the era. The list includes Nakajima Ki-11, Mitsubishi 1MF10, Nakajima Ki-27 Type 97 "Koh", Piaggio Pegna PC7, Polikarpov I-16 Type 5/10/18, Fokker D21, Brewster F2A-1 and F2A-3, Mitsubishi Type 96-3 Claude (both radial and inline engine types), Dewoitine D500 and D510, Caproni Stipa, Seversky P35A, Cauldron C561, Caproni Ca.64, Martin B-10, Curtiss P-36, Kawasaki Ki-28, Savoia-Marchetti S.64, Breda Ba65, Northrop Gamma.

RetroWings - Best known for conversion and detailing sets, RW also did a couple of complete kits, one of which was the Dewoitine D.510. No idea how it stacked up against the KdK one but, having a couple of the RW conversions, I'd suspect it would probably be more refined. You'll note the past tense here ... the kit is no longer listed on the RW site.

Mirairons - Lluis covers all things Spanish Civil War (SCW) so it's no surprise to find a couple of 1/144 options here, namely the Fiat CR.32, Grumman FF-1/GE-23, Polikarpov I-15.

FE-Resin - Apart from the Yokosuka (Kugisho) E1Y2/3 mentioned by Merlin, not a lot covering this era. And chances are that if you don't already have them in your stash, you won't be able to get them anyway as they are long-OOP (none made the transition to MiniWing).

Anigrand - Merlin's listed two kits falling within the era. The Kalinin K-7 boxing includes the Moskalyov Sam-7, Kalinin K-12 and Cheranovsky BiCh-17. There is another pre-war Soviet giant, the Tupolev TB-3, which comes with two Polikarpov I-5, two Polikarpov I-16, and a Grigorovich I-Z to enable you to build a Zvena parasite composite. The JR2S-1 boxing includes the Beech XA-38 Grizzly, Platt LePage XR-1 and Cornelius XFG-1. Also from the US, we have the Boeing XB-15 (extras: Bell XFM-1 Airacuda, Vought OS2U-3 Kingfisher and Bell XP-52), Boeing XB-16 Winged Whale (extras: Grumman J2F-5 Duck, Lockheed XP-49 and Grumman XP-50), and Sikorsky XPBS-1 (extras: Great Lakes XSG-1, Schweizer LNS-1 and Pitcairn XOP-1), Douglas XB-19 (extras: Curtiss XP-60C, Tucker XP-57 and Bell XF-59A Airacomet). As you can see, not all the extras are applicable to the era, but there's still plenty to choose from. Should add that the B-17B/C/D boxing includes the Beechcraft YC-43 Traveller, which was essentially a slightly modified Staggerwing, the latter being one of the more iconic aircraft of the 1930's.

FoxOne - Whilst the Arado Ar96 has been supplanted by the Mark I kit, another long-OOP model has not. I'm talking the Messerschmitt Bf108 Taifun which could certainly be painted up in a pre-war scheme. If you can find the kit and if you can afford it.

Peter's Planes - No longer active of course, but Peter did have a number of pre-war options on the list. I'm thinking here the Beriev KOR-1, Blohm und Voss Ha139, Dornier Do17E, Do26 and Wal, Loire 130M, Grumman J2F Duck, IMAM RO.43/44 and the Supermarine Walrus. With the exception of the Do17E, Duck and Walrus, the rest were very early castings so are definitely not recommended for resin virgins.

Senworks - Just the one I'm aware of, the Junkers W.34 Hau.

Airalex - Only three, a Staggerwing (identical mould to one used by Don Schmenk), a Beechcraft 18 "Twin Beech" and a Buffalo. Very basic so resin newbies be warned. I acquired the Buffalo way back in 2007 and I think even Alex himself would agree that it would be better to stick with the Mark I kits or F-Toys' gashapon now.

No doubt, there are others but hopefully, the list will assist if we go down the path of an Interwar GB. Which, of course, is not yet decided! :P

FOOTNOTE: An excellent resource covering which aircraft types did see service during the SCW can be found here.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

b.l.stryker
JV 144
JV 144
Germany

Post by b.l.stryker »

I look into my stash and find only the Fokker VII. What about the JU-87? First flight was in 1935. It´s still in my stash.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

The Ju87A served with the Condor Legion during various stages of the SCW. On 21 January 1939, three Ju87B-1's were used to support 34 He111's in the battle for the Port of Barcelona. I believe the Ju87B-1's were used sparingly in other engagements up to the end of the War, when they were returned to Germany. As for models, the only Ju87A I'm aware of is the long-OOP FE-Resin kit. On the other hand, there's a number of Ju87B's to be had, with the cheapest being Zvezda's little kit. I'd go for the Eduard Dual Combo, if you can get it. Scheme-wise, you'd have to finish the model as one of the Condor Legion aircraft or with pre-war markings, like the one in the photo below.
Junkers Ju87B-1 Stuka - Photographed Aug 1939.jpg
PS. Apparently, the Republican forces nicknamed the Stuka Stupido! :lol:
OTB ...

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

As another candidate, who could forget the Zvezda Fairey Battle. :roll:

b.l.stryker
JV 144
JV 144
Germany

Post by b.l.stryker »

smeg1959 wrote:The Ju87A served with the Condor Legion during various stages of the SCW. On 21 January 1939, three Ju87B-1's were used to support 34 He111's in the battle for the Port of Barcelona. I believe the Ju87B-1's were used sparingly in other engagements up to the end of the War, when they were returned to Germany. As for models, the only Ju87A I'm aware of is the long-OOP FE-Resin kit. On the other hand, there's a number of Ju87B's to be had, with the cheapest being Zvezda's little kit. I'd go for the Eduard Dual Combo, if you can get it. Scheme-wise, you'd have to finish the model as one of the Condor Legion aircraft or with pre-war markings, like the one in the photo below.
Junkers Ju87B-1 Stuka - Photographed Aug 1939.jpg
PS. Apparently, the Republican forces nicknamed the Stuka Stupido! :lol:
I have 2 older kits from Eduard in my stash. Would be superior.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

F_IV wrote:As another candidate, who could forget the Zvezda Fairey Battle. :roll:
Wonder if it's been long enough since your exquisite Battle to dare venture an OOB (with a bit of added cockpit detail, of course)? There was one at last year's Expo and it looked OK. I'd probably do a plunge moulded canopy as Zvezda's War of Tactic models all have transparencies thicker than a whale omelette.

Actually, if this topic gets up as a GB, I will be spoilt for choice as the stash is reasonably well stocked with options. Which, as I discovered last year, can cause issues.

As for GB10, still open for suggestions. How about we take some more options until mid July then I will create a poll like we had for GB9. A week of voting and call the "winner" on, say, 25 July?

Looking at the previous poll, we could go with the same suggestions (plus anything else that is nominated this time around), remove the Cold War option, and reissue it. :idea:
OTB ...

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

That's a plan.
David

Return to “Group Builds: General Discussion”