Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Group Build 10 - POLL NOW ACTIVE!

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Australia

Re: Group Build 10

Post by pbhawkin »

I would prefer that a “interwar” group build be seperate from a “Spanish Civil War” one. Just that the SCW was so all encompassing it deserves to stand on its own and there are so many other wars in this period that cover the globe.
Regards
Peter

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

I'm keen for interwar. I have quite a few, though I anticipate my output will be far from prodigious. Not least because I insist on rigging things. Why? Probably because on some level I really do detest myself. No rational explanation exists.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

pbhawkin wrote:I would prefer that a “interwar” group build be seperate from a “Spanish Civil War” one. Just that the SCW was so all encompassing it deserves to stand on its own and there are so many other wars in this period that cover the globe.
I tend to agree but that's probably because I've got plenty of options in the stash. My concern would be for someone like nils who only has his Stuka. Therefore, may I suggest that we do allow SCW items in an interwar GB, but also have a specific SCW build at another time? Of course, it's entirely up to the membership as to which comes first, so both will appear in the poll.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

smeg1959 wrote:Looking at the previous poll, we could go with the same suggestions (plus anything else that is nominated this time around), remove the Cold War option, and reissue it. :idea:
I made this comment without actually looking ... Pollcode has deleted our GB9 poll! Anyway, going through the relevant threads, I've come up with this hybrid list ...

Between the Wars 1919 - 1939
Spanish Civil War 1936 - 1939
Axis Powers 1936 - 1945
Limited Edition - Vacform and Resin Kits
Africa
Home Country
Civil Aviation
Asian Air Arms
Red Stars
Anything but Aircraft!
75th Anniversary of D-Day

Anything else anyone wants to suggest before yours truly creates the new poll code?

PS. There might be a few delays here and there with my postings and happy snaps at the moment. Some %$@* peanut knocked my mobile out of my hand when alighting from a train last night. Dead and buried, I fear. :evil:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Any last requests? Speak now or forever hold thy peace! I will activate a poll to allow members to vote for the GB10 topic early next week.
OTB ...

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

For myself, (he selfishly slurs, crawling out from under his rock), the 'Theme' idea totally dilutes the original concept of the Group Build.

I mean, whilst there may be positive comments on each other's contributions, just how much actual learning from each other is demonstrated?
How many problems are presented, to be followed by a host of different solutions?
(And my solutions, I don't mean typed suggestions, I mean real life, step-by-step, modelling solutions, demonstrated with posted images).

When I offered the Group Build concept to the Mods of the old Airfix Forum, way back in the 1990s, it was all about a single kit.
(The kit chosen at the time of our first GB was the Airfix Cherokee Arrow and we had over a dozen different takes on this, with, for example, a host of different solutions for presenting a spinning prop for the in-flight models).

Unfortunately, the masses then appropriated the idea and turned to themes, simply so that everyone could take part.
What happened then, was that the modelling presented differed very little from participant's 'normal' modelling, save that there was a pressure for those taking part to actually post their progress.
As time progressed, and more decided they wanted to play, without actually stepping out of their comfort zones, the themes became broader and broader.

Now...back to the original idea.
Consider a Group Build where everyone builds the Eduard Spitfire, or the Revell Harrier?
The subject chosen would either have to be within a large number of Stashes and/or readily available, for only reasonable sums.
The duration could be much shorter.
All of the issues encountered during the build will be shared by all participants, with a variety of solutions demonstrated for these.
Those new to modelling, or to the subject, would have first-hand demos of possible ways to build.
(Imagine, for example, if we all attempted the Zvezda Battle, following alongside F_IV's excellent work).

Just my thoughts.

...Now where'd that rock roll to?
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Merlin,
That is a bloody good idea. It would be fascinating to see how we as a group tackle a particular subject. Certainly an interesting idea. I'd certainly be interested (of course one has to have the kit to build).
Ian

nils
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Belgium

Post by nils »

i have a suggestion, 2019 would have marked the 70th anniversary of the founding of German Democratic Republic (AKA: GDR, DDR, East-Germany). so i was wondering, why not organise an anniversary Group Build for East-German military (or civilian) models?
on the bench:
-Airbus A400M (Belgian AF)

planned:
-Area 88 Air Base diorama
-MH-60J Jayhawk
-3 x Sepecat Jaguar (RAF, France and Indian AF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Discussion definitely firing up. Really appreciate your observations, Merlin, and I'd certainly be open to a single kit build.

Prior to joining KG144 all those years ago (Where has all the time gone?), I'd never been part of a modelling group, either online or in a club. This wasn't a conscious decision, more one born out of the realities of life beyond the workbench. So terms like "Group Builds", "Blitz Builds", etc. weren't exactly part of my lexicon. When Merlin himself broached the idea of a GB, I for one was absolutely delighted. That GB way back in 2015 was, I hasten to add, thematic, with the subject being “Transport”. Whilst I suspect this set the trend for the idea of themes rather than individual kits, I also think that our “active” membership numbers might have had something to do with it. Without delving into statistics, I think it would be fair to say our numbers are relatively small compared to forums like the Airfix one or Britmodeller. As such, the sheer numbers of participants in an individual kit GB are much larger than we could ever hope to achieve. Consequently, a thematic approach seemed the way to go, at least back in the days of the first few GBs.

Whilst it is true that feedback has more often been of “positive encouragement”, I don’t necessarily agree that there hasn’t been any “actual learning”. Personally, I’ve learnt heaps, both from feedback on my builds and observation of how others have tackled aspects of theirs. Not entirely sure that a single kit build would significantly alter the balance between positive feedback and problem solving skills. In fact, this is one reason I’ve pushed the idea of a vacform or resin GB, because these are areas that members have expressed uneasiness about. “Out of the comfort zone” and all that. Interesting that you bring up F_IV’s remarkable Zvezda Battle. This, of course, was not part of a GB yet has provided a wealth of ideas for others, myself included. Whilst we have detailed builds like these appearing on the forum, opportunities for learning are ever present with or without Group Builds.

OK, that’s my “Devil’s Advocate” bit done.

As Merlin has proposed, we could have a single kit build as a GB option. Of course, we don’t have the plethora of options open to, say, the Airfix forum, as 1/144 kits don’t necessarily abound in some parts of the globe. The Eduard Spitfire is a good suggestion (says he, selfishly, with several still in the stash), but is tempered by the current unavailability of the model as Eduard rebuilds its 1/144 catalogue. I know that Revell and Minicraft kits are widely available, so there’s obviously some possibilities there. Could even consider Platz or Mark I, though I’d be interested to see exactly how widely available these brands are. My feeling is that if a local hobby shop in Oz sells the kits, they must be abundant everywhere else, including the outer moons of Jupiter. :roll:

I’m going to suggest something that I hope doesn’t alienate too many. What about GB10 being thematic (with the polling list amended to include Nil’s latest proposal) and a concurrent group build, GB11, being single kit? IMHO, could prove interesting. Just a thought.
OTB ...

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Oh, and as the single kit idea is on the menu, your suggestions are welcome. I will be able to set up a separate poll so everyone can vote on their preferred option, too.
OTB ...

Return to “Group Builds: General Discussion”