Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Group Build 10 - POLL NOW ACTIVE!

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Australia

Re: Group Build 10

Post by cowleyi »

Troops, Hey just a heads up -
If you are looking for ideas for an individual kit GB, the below is of interest....

Hobby Easy in Hong Kong is clearing some trumpeter 1/144 kits out that might be a goer for a GB given how cheap this is from the Aussie Perspective.
Trump Me 262A-2a USD 4.34, GBP 3.33 Euro 2.82 and AUD 6.22
Trump F86F-30 Sabre USD 2.81 GBP 2.16, Euro 2.47 and 4.02 AUD
Trump F86F-40 Sabre USD 2.30, GBP 1.76, Euro 2.02 and AUD 3.89

Faaaack even at those prices an unemployed bloke like me could afford a kit or two - just have to scrounge postage......Already have a 262 in the stash but not the Sabres.

Ian

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Thanks for the kind words about the Zvezda Battle. I'm not sure I'd want to go through it again though! :D
I like the idea of a single kit theme as well. Indeed, I think it got discussed in passing during the RAF GB when I was submitting the two hurricanes and there were some questions about the extra work and detail corrections. I thought the Sweet Hurri might be a very good basis to work on, as the panel lines are excellent and the kits overall have a ton of conversion potential. The Trumpeter Sabre has similar discrepancies in proportions to the Fairey Battle however, so unless everyone wants a crash course in lengthening fuselages and stretching wing chords I'd advise some caution there!

Edit: Maybe a workshop in kit correcting and reducing panel lines could actually be a good thing?

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

I quite like the idea of a single kit gb too. I’d vote for Sweet Hurri or Wildcat, or perhaps one of the new Platz repops all of which are not too spenny.

I think it’s probably a case of each to their own but I do also like the themed builds - I like the imagination, the breadth of subjects which I find fascinating and always surprising, and the inner history nerdlet loves the stories behind the different subjects (human and machine). But I think we each approach the hobby from different perspectives - for me it’s less the process and more the subject, for others it’s vice versa. Many are in between. Both types of GB are equally valid in my view so I hope we can continue to vote on what we do next.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

The more I think about it, the non-aircraft theme is an interesting one too. That would see just about all of us trying something new for a change. :oops:

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Whichever road we eventually choose it will be an exciting adventure! Always enjoy watching the builds come together. Hmmm a non aircraft build ---- ooo break out a DML 1/144 tank. jagdpanzer IV/L48 converted to an L70 anyone? Late war disc camo ooooo

Ian

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Definitely seems to be support for the “traditional” Group Build focusing on a single kit, so unless everyone violently objects, how about we go with the two concurrent GBs as I proposed? GB10 will be the thematic one … yes, with the non-aircraft option added to the poll … whilst GB11 will be the single kit one. Whether both run for the same length of time is entirely up to the membership, so give us your thoughts. It is my hope that by having the two streams, we may get a few members who haven’t yet participated in such a build.

My earlier post listed most of the suggested options for GB10 and I will add Nil’s East German suggestion to the list. As for GB11, let’s create a list of options for a concurrent poll. So far, we have …

• Eduard Spitfire Mk IX (proposed by Merlin)
• Platz “re-pop” (proposed by ajmm, but which one(s), Angus?)
• Revell Harrier (proposed by Merlin)
• Sweet Hurricane Mk I (proposed by F_IV and ajmm)
• Sweet Wildcat (proposed by ajmm)
• Trumpeter Me262A-2a (proposed by cowleyi)
• Trumpeter F86F-30 or F-40 Sabre (proposed by cowleyi, but with cautions from F_IV)
• Zvezda Battle (sort of proposed by Merlin, with interesting feedback from F_IV!)

To this list, I’m going to add a couple of Mark I options that I think are worthy of consideration, the Beaufighter and the Mosquito. Feel free to call me on these. If the Mark I Spitty or Brewster Buffalo is preferential, let me know. Anything else? If you want to add to the list, please do so as soon as possible, as I would like to initiate both polls on Sunday 21 July to provide time for people to vote. Needless to say, I suspect we are going to end up with such a database of proposals for single kit and thematic GBs that we’ll be able to run these things regularly for the next decade and then some! ;-)

PS. F_IV, really like the suggestion of a workshop on panel lines. It’s one task I try to avoid but, with a number of resin kits that are crying out for either filling trenches or the addition of basic control surfaces like ailerons, I will have to face the demon sometime.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

smeg1959 wrote:My earlier post listed most of the suggested options for GB10 and I will add Nil’s East German suggestion to the list. As for GB11, let’s create a list of options for a concurrent poll. So far, we have …

• Eduard Spitfire Mk IX (proposed by Merlin)
• Platz “re-pop” (proposed by ajmm, but which one(s), Angus?)
• Revell Harrier (proposed by Merlin)
• Sweet Hurricane Mk I (proposed by F_IV and ajmm)
• Sweet Wildcat (proposed by ajmm)
• Trumpeter Me262A-2a (proposed by cowleyi)
• Trumpeter F86F-30 or F-40 Sabre (proposed by cowleyi, but with cautions from F_IV)
• Zvezda Battle (sort of proposed by Merlin, with interesting feedback from F_IV!)

To this list, I’m going to add a couple of Mark I options that I think are worthy of consideration, the Beaufighter and the Mosquito. Feel free to call me on these. If the Mark I Spitty or Brewster Buffalo is preferential, let me know. Anything else? If you want to add to the list, please do so as soon as possible, as I would like to initiate both polls on Sunday 21 July to provide time for people to vote. Needless to say, I suspect we are going to end up with such a database of proposals for single kit and thematic GBs that we’ll be able to run these things regularly for the next decade and then some! ;-)

PS. F_IV, really like the suggestion of a workshop on panel lines. It’s one task I try to avoid but, with a number of resin kits that are crying out for either filling trenches or the addition of basic control surfaces like ailerons, I will have to face the demon sometime.
There are many, many candidates for a Single-kit GB, but many usually fail to take into account availability, either of the kit itself, or alternative decal schemes. For example, I have a healthy supply of Revell Hunters, but I also have a good selection of schemes, courtesy of the Xtradecal sheet. I doubt many are so...er...well-endowed! :D
That said, some subjects are very well catered for, decal-wise, such as the Revell Tomcat.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Wot, nobody wants a single build GB of the Zero?? :lol:

The Beau and mossie make worthy additions. Indeed, there are enough mosquito options out there now to allow plenty of variety.
I just received an F-toys Sabre in the post today along with FT's latest trio of tanks (nice work A-team) so I'm all set there.

As far as 262's go, I have the Eduard and Trumpy one plus the FT offering which is the most accurate of the bunch. The Wildcat Spit and Hurri are all present too. However I haven't had a Revell Harrier since I lost mine in the sandpit, sometime around 1976... :oops:

If it isn't too late, can I submit the least popular option of all and suggest aircraft and objects of WW1? Brengun, Valom, V1 and others do some fairly nifty kits lately.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

F_IV wrote:Wot, nobody wants a single build GB of the Zero?? :lol:
A bit lacking in the Interesting Markings and Colour Schemes Department, methinks. :D
F_IV wrote: The Beau and mossie make worthy additions. Indeed, there are enough mosquito options out there now to allow plenty of variety.
Just getting old of the appropriate decals would be an issue for some of us.
F_IV wrote:However I haven't had a Revell Harrier since I lost mine in the sandpit, sometime around 1976... :oops:
I just refuse to accept that you're unfamiliar with the 2005 Revell kit ;)
F_IV wrote:If it isn't too late, can I submit the least popular option of all and suggest aircraft and objects of WW1? Brengun, Valom, V1 and others do some fairly nifty kits lately.
...And, to remain true to the scale, rigging should not be an issue. ;) :D
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Maybe there should be a vickers vanguard group build?
There are still those cases of S+M kits on Hannants for about a £1 each.. Though, I suspect the postage costs for redistribution of said kits around the world would be more costly than buying any agreed upon kit locally!?

As for the Zeros, what lack of colours options?
I am sure that the Japanese model industry have isolated variances of the color green on any given airframe to to 24h timeperiods factoring in the local weather factors!!

Return to “Group Builds: General Discussion”