Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg's Vickers Type 432 (Anigrand)

To celebrate the Centenary of the Royal Air Force, welcome to our first year-long Group Build. With the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service on 1 April 1918, the RAF is the oldest air force on the planet, so there is plenty of scope in the Build. Anything RAF-related goes … aircraft, vehicles, boats, personnel, you name it.
Runs from 1 January to 31 December 2018.
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

Re: Smeg's Vickers Type 432 (Anigrand)

Post by MerlinJones »

Competition is the Dark Side of Modelling.
The very nature of competing seems to bring out the very worst of people, whether they mean it to or not.
Judging is always subjective and it's a myth that objectivity plays a part. Politics and 'trends' play a more vital role, sadly.

Anyways...back to Smeg's troublesome progress and I'm reminded of the 3' Judge. ;)
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Just to keep you in the loop, the Type 432 hasn't disappeared through a wormhole. You might have sussed that the model was put on the backburner after the Vallejo disaster. And you’d be right. I spent an age getting the thing back to a state when it could be re-primed and repainted and, quite frankly, I found the early part of the recovery rather depressing. Anyway, after stripping the model back, I got a fleeting moment of inspiration and primed the surfaces late in August. That showed up some irregularities I’d missed, requiring more cleaning up, after which, I lost interest and turned my attention to my trio of current completions, the Fw190A-5, Hurricane Mk I and Harvard Mk II.

Well, now over half-way through October and with around 10 weeks left on the RAF GB Clock, I decided time to extract Ye Olde Digite. Firstly, I repainted the undersides with Tamiya XF-3 Yellow. As is that colour’s want, it took several coats before I was satisfied with the coverage. The undersides were then masked and, in place of the Vallejo Ocean Grey, Tamiya’s XF82 was applied. Despite extensive mixing, it again dried a little on the shiny side but, with all those clear coats to eventually be applied, no big deal.
Vickers Type 432 - RAF DZ217 (23).jpg
Next step will be cutting the masks (again) and spraying the Dark Green (again).
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), Hurricane Mk I (257 Sqn RAF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Out came my new Illustrator profile …
Vickers Type 432 - Illustrator Profile.jpg
… and camo masks were cut for the second time to allow the Dark Green to be airbrushed. Goodbye, Vallejo, hello Tamiya XF81. Bought the same day as the XF82, mixed to the same extent, but way flatter than its grey counterpart. Go figure.
Vickers Type 432 - RAF DZ217 (24).jpg
Vickers Type 432 - RAF DZ217 (25).jpg
Mmmm. Just looked at my earlier photos and realised that I reversed the order of laying down the Ocean Grey and the Dark Green. And, after honing my masking tape cutting skills via the Harvard and the Hurricane, I’m happier with the result the second time around on the Type 432.

All the bits and bobs were reattached … undercarriage, props and spinners, etc. Then the moment of truth … TS79 Semi-gloss Clear applied. Would it be déjà vu or could I finally get around to applying the decals that sat waiting back in July?
Vickers Type 432 - RAF DZ217 (26).jpg
Breathe out. I have to admit that, despite the assertion that I may have sprayed too much clear coat too quickly on the Vallejo, I know I followed my routine back then. Still, once bitten, and ever since then, it really has been a case of erring on the side of extreme caution, building layers of clear coat gradually in passes over several hours. Worked on the Hurricane despite one colour (the Dark Green) being the Vallejo stuff, so all’s well.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), Hurricane Mk I (257 Sqn RAF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

So to the decals, a mere three months later than originally scheduled. And, just when I thought I’d cleared the last hurdle, a stray finger managed to knock one of the prototype “P” decals out of whack. Unfortunately, I had already applied Mr Mark Setter and, when I tried to correct the positioning of the decal, it distorted and tore. Bugger. Then I remembered that Anigrand supply two identical sheets of decals, as some items like serials only appear once on a sheet when two are required on the model. Fortunately, there were two circled “P” decals of the correct dimensions on each sheet and I’d cut the pair from the second sheet some time ago. Only one problem, where the hell were they?

The intensive forensic investigation that yielded the misplaced Eduard decal sheet for my Mk IXc Spitty failed to shed any light on my “P” pair. Noting that both the Anigrand Windsor and Shetland kits share the same decal sheet, I was on the verge of appealing to my forum colleagues who have either kit to bail me out, just about the time Martin disabled the forum to deal with the upgrading. Then, as these things do, I suddenly had a momentary spark of inspiration at 1am and realised I’d intended using the spare “P” pair on my captured Butcher Bird. When the LF Models’ sheet arrived from Hannants via Angus, these were no longer required and so were consigned to the RAF spares sandwich bag.

And so, after a couple of fine coats of TS80 matt clear, the Type 432 is finally done and dusted.
Vickers Type 432 - RAF DZ217 (36).jpg
Vickers Type 432 - RAF DZ217 (35).jpg
Vickers Type 432 - RAF DZ217 (32).jpg
Vickers Type 432 - RAF DZ217 (31).jpg
Vickers Type 432 - RAF DZ217 (37).jpg
Following up on Peter’s comment from back in July describing the 432 as a "Mossie on steroids", here’s a couple of snaps of the Vickers with one of my Mosquitoes.
Vickers Type 432 - RAF DZ217 (38).jpg
Vickers Type 432 - RAF DZ217 (39).jpg
The positioning of the two in an earlier photo suggested that the 432 was larger than the Mossie. However, these pics show that, given a few inches here and there, both were essentially the same size. I think the funny little bulbous canopy fools the viewer into believing the aircraft was considerably larger than it actually is.

Up until the Vallejo incident, this had been a pretty enjoyable build. Needless to say, the nerves were often jangling during the restoration process. Whilst I’m fairly satisfied with the final outcome, close inspection does reveal a couple of spots where the restored surface never reached the same standard as the original before the disaster. At least it proves you can recover these things no matter what. And, if I have to be honest with myself, the version of me that entered 1/144 over a decade ago would not have even tried to repair the damage. Type 432 would, most likely, have been consigned to the spare parts box amidst much swearing and wringing of hands. I attribute my change of attitude to this forum and my fellow members. Thanks, all!
OTB ...

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Again, well worth the struggle(s). What a handsome brute. Interesting seeing it next to the Mossie - as you say I think it’s proportions give you the false impression that it’s a Goliath.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Whatever happened, it is all behind you now. That looks great.

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

Very nice indeed!! Well done Smeg!

Cheers

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four

Return to “Group Build 8: Centenary of the RAF”