Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg's Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc (Eduard)

To celebrate the Centenary of the Royal Air Force, welcome to our first year-long Group Build. With the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service on 1 April 1918, the RAF is the oldest air force on the planet, so there is plenty of scope in the Build. Anything RAF-related goes … aircraft, vehicles, boats, personnel, you name it.
Runs from 1 January to 31 December 2018.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Nambia

Re: Smeg's Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc (Eduard)

Post by ajmm »

I found the rattle can Humbrol stuff came out very grainy and left the surface of my Dakota looking like it had crashed into a glitter warehouse. But that could have been user error. I’ve found Tamiya rattle can silver is better.

Xtreme Metal series from AK Interactive is foolproof - even I can use it!

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Bearing mind I use the whiskered wand, I'd be using Humbrol Aluminium metalcote...or Mr.Metalcolor Aluminium.
Both buff out nicely, removing any brush streaks and there's a range of shine, depending upon how much polishing you do.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

I agree that applying by wand is far better, goes down evenly and does buff nicely.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Like the Vickers Type 432, this one has also spent time hibernating in its Ferrero Rocher hangar. Unfortunately, I had a false start with the small area of Ocean Grey on the engine cowling. For reasons best known to itself, the Tamiya XF82 did not dry correctly and was still tacky a week later. I did a couple of paint outs on waste plastic and they, too, never cured. Result, one bottle of XF82 in the cylindrical filing cabinet and some tricky cleaning off of the offending coating on the model. As is typical of my year to date, I ended up having to remove the primer, too. A lot of cleaning up and the model was resprayed with Mr Surfacer 1200. Take two.

In the absence of a Lifecolor alternative and avoiding Vallejo like the plague (once bitten, etc., etc.), I resorted reluctantly to buying a replacement bottle of XF82. Needless to say, I tested this extensively before it got anywhere near the model. As is evident on the 432, it did dry quite glossy, despite every last molecule of sediment being stirred into the liquid component of the paint. Oddly, every bottle of XF82 I've used (and I can recall at least four) has dried similarly. Anyone else noticed this behaviour with this colour? After making up a single mask, I followed up with XF81 Dark Green which dried a more conventional satin finish. The contrast in sheen is very evident in the photo, below.
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc - RAF MJ250 (02).jpg
The upper cowling area was then masked off and the entire aircraft given a spray of TS6 Black from a rattle can in preparation for the metallic finish. Not trusting the latter to adhere to the recommended full gloss undercoat, I gave the model a follow-up spray with TS79 Semi-gloss Clear.
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc - RAF MJ250 (03).jpg
Then, as the previous photo implied, I went with the Vallejo Metal Coat as used on my P-63C, taking every care to build up the surface with several passes of the airbrush, allowing each pass to dry at least 5 minutes (the time quoted by Vallejo themselves) before airbrushing the next. When the coating was suitably uniform, I followed up with a light coat of Vallejo's own gloss Metal Varnish.
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc - RAF MJ250 (04).jpg
Whilst my mobile phone photo editor hasn't helped by over-sharpening the pic, the finish IS definitely more speckly than on the Kingcobra, so I'm not convinced the varnish was a wise choice in hindsight. Anyway, I'll eventually tone the whole thing down with matt clear which will be necessary over the Dark Green/Ocean Grey anyway. Next step will be adding all the external bits and bobs (undercarriage, prop, etc.).
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), Hurricane Mk I (257 Sqn RAF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Looking back on my previous post here, I’m definitely not happy with the finish for a couple of reasons, one the fault of Vallejo and the other … erm … me. Vallejo’s fault? The particular colour, Pale Burnt Metal, is “sparkly”, too much IMHO. Admittedly, the surface has been treated with gloss varnish, and a matt clear coating after the decals will reduce reflectivity, but the flecky appearance is likely to persist. Not the “bare metal” finish I’ve ever seen on an aircraft, let alone one dating back to 1943. And my fault? Eh, well, despite knowing just how much metallic finishes can highlight surface imperfections, I obviously didn’t quite get a handful of spots smooth enough when rectifying the original dodgy batch of XF82 and it shows as plain as whatsits on a bull.

Anyway, moving on. I added all the other external parts – prop, undercarriage, aerial, etc.
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc - RAF MJ250 (05).jpg
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc - RAF MJ250 (06).jpg
Oddly, Eduard forgot the pitot, something F-Toys remembered on their Mk V releases. I scratched one up using piano wire, brass tube and a tiny piece of plastic card. Not in the same street as the creations from Ondra, F_IV, Toms, etc. but I am happy enough with it.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), Hurricane Mk I (257 Sqn RAF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

And so it’s finally decal time. Erm. Took me three days to find the damned sheet because I’d put the plastic bag with the other Mk IXc in a storage box I reserve exclusively for resin kits. So much for order. Anyway, unlike the Cartograf ones on the Sweet Hurricane, the Eduard ones went on like a charm. And this was fortuitous as Eduard takes the “multi-decal” approach to roundels to minimise out-of-register issues. Consequently, each underwing roundel comes as two decals, whilst each fuselage roundel is the result of three overlaid decals. Whilst it can be a little nerve-wracking, I do like this method, particularly when the decals are as well behaved as these. After a day’s drying, I gave the model a couple of coats of TS80 matt clear. Fearing I’d gone a little too flat, I followed up with a fine dusting of TS79 semi-gloss.
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc - RAF MJ250 (09).jpg
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc - RAF MJ250 (08).jpg
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc - RAF MJ250 (10).jpg
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc - RAF MJ250 (12).jpg
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc - RAF MJ250 (14).jpg
A comment regarding the aircraft codes. Opinion is divided over whether the colour of the UF-Q on MJ250 was dull red or black. A search online yielded several profiles and other artwork suggesting the former, whilst every build in 1/72 and 1/48 I located featured black codes. Eduard was clearly torn here, so opted to supply both red and black alternatives and leave it to the modeller to decide. After viewing the evidence, I went for the red. In my mind, the wartime photo of MJ250 in Italy (below) is the clincher, supporting a colour similar to the red on the neighbouring roundel. If evidence arises that categorically confirms black, well, I will simply overlay the red ones. Much more likely to succeed than overlaying the black with the red, too.
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc - RAF MJ250 at Fano 1944.pdf.jpg
So finally Smeg’s RAF GB Entry Number 4 rolls off the workbench and into the display cabinet. Of the four completed to date, it is easily the one I’m least happy with. My tolerance with Vallejo continues to decline and clearly I need to better my skills with metallic finishes or resign myself to camo patterns, where I think I’m getting the hang of this masking tape thingy.
OTB ...

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Nice bit of research on the code colours and despite and the paint issues, a great model.
David

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Superb Smeg. Not much more to say. Very impressive finish you managed despite your trials.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Looks every bit a Spitty to me! :)

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

Simply great!!! Well done!!

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four

Return to “Group Build 8: Centenary of the RAF”