Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Great Wall B-52G

Oh, no! - I just bought another kit!
TonyG2
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Great Wall B-52G

Post by TonyG2 »

Just bagged one of these. Very nice detail. Good choice of stores including rotatory launcher and wing pylons for ALCM and two sprues of alternative loadouts including Harpoons and various non-Nuke bombs etc

Cockpit is pretty decent although the seats have limited detail. One odd feature is that as well as the standard 5 crew seats, there is a lower deck with two seats. Cannot see how this deck is even visible but from what I can see the H has 5 crew. Does the G have 7?

144flynavy
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star
United States of America

Re: Great Wall B-52G

Post by 144flynavy »

TonyG2 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 14:57
Cockpit is pretty decent although the seats have limited detail. One odd feature is that as well as the standard 5 crew seats, there is a lower deck with two seats. Cannot see how this deck is even visible but from what I can see the H has 5 crew. Does the G have 7?
B-52G and H six crew positions (until late 1991), seated on ejection seats.
There may have been a "jump seat" behind the pilots for an evaluator, etc. Others may know more.

In late 1991, Strategic Air Command announced it was eliminating the B-52 gunner—saving money and cutting 525 positions.

In the movie Dr. Strangelove, 1964, you can see James Earl Jones as Lieutenant Lothar Zogg, the B-52's bombardier (radar navigator) appear from his crew position on the lower deck for a scene on the upper/flight deck.

Article dated 9-12-2022, new students who graduated to fly the B-52 bomber this fall will be operating the eight-engine aircraft with four crew members instead of the usual five.

The bomber has two pilots, one navigator, a weapon systems officer operating the radar, and an electronic warfare officer. When downsized to four people, the navigator, weapon systems and electronic warfare seats can be filled by any of the two non-pilot air crew.

The switch to a four-person crew now is necessary as the bomber will be structurally modified to fly with only four people in the future. These current batch of graduates will be ready to assume the role of instructors when the modifications are rolled out later this decade.

https://alert5.com/2022/09/12/b-52h-air ... air%20crew.

TonyG2
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Post by TonyG2 »

Thanks for that information. I was going to pull my DVD of By Dawns Early Light and see if I could work out the crew and seating from that movie (or A Gathering of Eagles might have helped).

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

If anyone Down Under is after one of these, BNA Model World have the big beastie on special at the moment. Seems like a good deal.
OTB ...
GB20 - Lavochkin La-7 (Mark I)
GB25 - Vickers Windsor (Anigrand), Curtiss P-40M Kittyhawk III (AFV Club)
SoS - Douglas C-47B Dakota (Minicraft) and several others :-(

Return to “1/144 Added to the stash!”