Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

My stashlet

Pictures of fellow forum members and/or their workbench/modelling space (or even stash - you know who we are talking about)
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Re: My stashlet

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Flying Derpus wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 18:25
Yikes, this post triggerd way more response than I was bargaining for. :lol:
bluedonkey99 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:14
This is definitely deviant behavior and a moderators committee meeting may have to convened to see if any rules have been violated.
Catherder wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 0:39
Wow, this implies a level of self-control never before seen in this hobby! How do you resist just buying more stuff?
To be fair, it is tempting in our scale. So much stuff is released in small quantities, sold out quickly, and then circulates the Web at ridiculously inflated prices, if at all.

Catherder wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 0:39
[*]Modern airliners? There are a few nice liveries, but most aircraft are huge, white, winged metal cigars that more or less look the same, occupy much shelf space, and really don't lend themselves to painting with the hairy stick. A few smaller ones maybe, when (if) I learn how to paint white some day.

[*]Classic airliners up to the early jet age? Now these are appealing to me. They often have a certain elegance, just like classic ocean liners (think QE1/2, Queen Mary, France, Normandie, etc.). However, they also have somewhat bigger surfaces, often in natural metal finish. I feel I need some more experience before I can tackle those successfully.
[/list]

Your sins are absolved. :mrgreen:

Internet cat picture memes always help...

As does your eminently sensible stance on tubes withh wings (sorry, ID19 - though you do them well), even the military variants are a bit ugh. Unless it's a Nimrod and that's based on a proper early jet aiiner like the Comet.

So...

Can I interest you in some rare and oop "golden age" airliner Vac-form kits :D :D

Also - we are pretty much 'live and let live', do what makes you happy!

Tim R-T-C
JV 144 4 Star
JV 144 4 Star

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Flying Derpus wrote:

To be fair, it is tempting in our scale. So much stuff is released in small quantities, sold out quickly, and then circulates the Web at ridiculously inflated prices, if at all.
This is certainly true for me - decal and etch sets appear briefly on Hannants or eBay but then may never be seen again. Unlike the more mainstream model world where there will always be a 1/35 Tiger Tank or 1/48 Spitfire kit available to buy, in our niche if you find it and want it, you had probably better buy it!
Flying Derpus wrote:
[*]Modern airliners? There are a few nice liveries, but most aircraft are huge, white, winged metal cigars that more or less look the same, occupy much shelf space, and really don't lend themselves to painting with the hairy stick. A few smaller ones maybe, when (if) I learn how to paint white some day.
[*]Classic airliners up to the early jet age? Now these are appealing to me. They often have a certain elegance, just like classic ocean liners (think QE1/2, Queen Mary, France, Normandie, etc.). However, they also have somewhat bigger surfaces, often in natural metal finish. I feel I need some more experience before I can tackle those successfully.
[/list]
Might I suggest trying rattle cans. I only have a small indoor modelling area and don't use an airbrush so I avoided bare metal - but now I just take the model into the garden and spray with a Tamiya can and you have an instant metallic or glossy white coating.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

The big advantage of a stashlet is that you don't spend 3 hours pontificating over what you should build next. The time lost navel-gazing every time a new GB is called is frightening. ;)
OTB ...
GB18 - B-25B Mitchell (F-Toys), Beaufighter Mk VIc (Mark I), MC.200 Folgore (F-Toys)
GB20 - AW.650-222 Argosy (MikroMir)
Other - Arado Ar196A-1 (F-Toys)

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Post by MerlinJones »

smeg1959 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28
The big advantage of a stashlet is that you don't spend 3 hours pontificating over what you should build next. The time lost navel-gazing every time a new GB is called is frightening. ;)
A common issue with generic-themed GBs.
Things tighten up way more and produce, to my mind, a much better 'Modeller's Resource' for later viewers, when you go for a Subject-specific, or even, *Gasp* a kit specific!
(Though it's often at this point that those who believe that they have a comprehensive stash realise that it actually isn't as comprehensive as they thought).
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

Flying Derpus
Flight 10
Flight 10
Germany

Post by Flying Derpus »

Tim R-T-C wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:21
Might I suggest trying rattle cans. I only have a small indoor modelling area and don't use an airbrush so I avoided bare metal - but now I just take the model into the garden and spray with a Tamiya can and you have an instant metallic or glossy white coating.
Tim, my apologies for not replying earlier - I nearly forgot about it. However, I want to take the time now to thank you for this post. It was really a helpful nudge, and I appreciate it a lot!

You see, rattle cans had crossed my mind, but I was stuck with the thought that I didn't want those aerosols and fine paint particles in my room (or on my glasses). What never occured to me was taking the darned kit out into the garden, standing with the wind at my back and just spraying it in the open air. This should indeed work well for generic colours such as a black primer, white or natural metal for fuselage and/or wings. I'll give it a try next time I have a large surface to paint!

Return to “Modellers - Their Workbenches, Their Stashes, Their Stories”