Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

First up: My spray booth and mancave (update)

Pictures of fellow forum members and/or their workbench/modelling space (or even stash - you know who we are talking about)
ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
1/144 Interest: No
Netherlands

First up: My spray booth and mancave (update)

Post by ph-adk »

Asking Martin for the new folders means that I have to post something also :D

Here is a place where you show off your:

- new workbench
- clean workbench
- used workbench
- heavily used workbench
- the place where your workbench used to be
- stash
- secret stash
- hobby room
- display cabinets

well, you get the idea...

So here is my collapsible homemade spray booth. When my wife asked me to make a new laundry room (well room...) I thought what a good place it could be for airbrushing. I installed a sink, a desk and made tubing so I can connect the filter to the home ventilation system. With the push of a button, I have more than enough airflow. Also, put tiles on the floor, redid all the plumbing under the central heating system so the washing and drying machine could be placed under the slanted roof. Made a new ceiling, added 6 wall sockets, installed two miniature suns over my head. And I took out the bearing construction which bears the roof, to gain more storage (for all the airbrush stuff) Now, normally it's obviously not a good idea to remove this, but the construction of big closets in the room next to it made sure I could do it. A lot of work (a couple of months actually) but it's finished. When you don't have enough room, it's nice to have two or more destinations for a room if you get what I mean. Do laundry and airbrushing :D

Works great. It takes me 10 minutes to build up the airbrush setting from laundry mode. Now if only I had the time to do some modeling..

Lex
Last edited by ph-adk on Tue Oct 16, 2018 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: First up: My spray booth

Post by smeg1959 »

That's one impressive piece of engineering, Lex. Design Award material. If I'd still been living in married bliss, I reckon temporarily modifying the laundry like this would have resulted in my sudden bereavement at the hands on SWMBO. And that's despite the fact everything packs away so beautifully. :roll:

Incidentally, great idea for a section. Always like to see the modelling environment of fellow forum members and swoon over the Everest-like stashes some people have awaiting their attention.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Very impressive! I usually drag my compressor out to the balcony and squat on the deck like a navvy. :lol:

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

Thanks guys!
smeg1959 wrote:Incidentally, great idea for a section.
I got the idea from my other favorite (Dutch) forum it has almost 800 entries now. I invite everyone to share something. I love to see the shelves with completed models myself. Or a tiny desk filled with loads of stuff like Angus.
F_IV wrote:I usually drag my compressor out to the balcony

But i am most curious about a certain builder who seems to get out of this world powers by harnessing natural elements during the build. Can you imagine what happens if he decides to build a lightning or a hurricane? The balcony will be ripped off clean but here is F_IV unruffled working on his next masterpiece while flying through the night sky.

I'd really like to see pictures of a compressor on that magical balcony. The last magical balcony I saw was one I had to clean with hydrochloric acid because of all the pigeon poop.

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

ph-adk wrote:Or a tiny desk filled with loads of stuff like Angus.
Oh the chaos. Good for a game of I spy but it’s often a bit much even for me - I sometimes feel like a character from Das Boot...

Good for a game if I spy with my little eye.

Lex I’m very impressed at your setup. I really hope for something similar when we move from this place to somewhere a bit larger (and with my daughter hitting one this weekend the pressure is building for that believe me!). I may have to ask your advice when the time comes to build my own man cave.

Ps a great idea for a thread.

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

i would be knocking planes off the shelves every time I moved in there!
Regards
Peter

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Agree with Peter. Just breathing out would send half those models on the shelves crashing to the ground if this was my setup. :oops:

But hang on, Angus. You have an output rate that makes WW2 Shturmovik production glacial by comparison. Where do all those exquisite completions go?
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Ha! Thanks.

I haven’t knocked one off yet in four years but there have been some heart stopping near misses. The other side of those shelves is our kitchen. Guests and the tiny human in my life have done better. The valiant top right and the Vickers C Bomber have both taken big hits, the Vickers C breaking in half and losing a wing. Perhaps it’s someyhibg about designs from Vickers Aircraft Co. ?!

Completions are in my childhood bedroom in my parents house in wales. (Meaning any completion I post has to be packed up and driven to wales when I next see them ... there have been casualties!)

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

ajmm wrote:Ps a great idea for a thread.
Thanks. The idea is that everybody makes their own thread I guess. At the Dutch forum, this isn't the case and that makes it quite messy after 13 years of posting. Martin had a better idea i think. This way you can also show updates! Or in your case, the old man cave, and the new one.

I want to invite everyone to make a thread, post pictures of their stash, workbench etc.

Cheers!

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Re: First up: My spray booth and mancave (update)

Post by ph-adk »

After a good clean I could make some pictures of my desk:

I do all my modeling in the attic which we only use for storage. The yellow cabinet is where I keep all my tools and paints.

The first drawer The shelf of shame houses al the models under construction. 13 to be precise. Also, decals and some info are stored here.

The stash. The pictures came out a bit weird. Just like they were zoomed in..

And the view outside my righthand window. You can see my big white van.

Return to “Modellers and their workbenches (and stash)”