Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

I bought a lamp.

Pictures of fellow forum members and/or their workbench/modelling space (or even stash - you know who we are talking about)
ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
1/144 Interest: No
Netherlands

I bought a lamp.

Post by ph-adk »

The mancave became more and more filled with stuff now we have two little boys. My mother in law helps out a lot and sleeps over every week in that same man cave. And it is also cold and lonely in the attic and sometimes downright scary. Eventually, modeling came to a hold. My wife asked me if it would be possible to work in the living room in the evenings and with some good lighting, it probably was.

This week I received my new lamp, and boy I'm happy with it. I remembered F_IV once said all the magic is made possible with digital calipers and good magnification so i bought this:

It has a 150 mm wide lens, 64 daylight color Led's, 1.75 times magnification and it's dimmable. For now, all the necessary model tools are in an Ikea storage container. I'm thinking about a new permanent solution using an aircraft food trolley which i can place in a closet once I'm done working. Airbrushing will still be done here.

:D

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: I bought a lamp.

Post by Jonathan »

LED light is one of the greatest technology advances in recent history.

I remember - hell, I still have - somewhere - a headlamp that has a 3v incandescent lamp, and a wire leading to a plastic box that took 2 D cell batteries, you put in your pocket. the light was weak and yellow and the batteries lasted two hours. :roll: but we thought we were high tech equip'd! :ugeek: this was for night time ski-orienteering of all things, late 1970s.

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Only a Dutchman would photograph an orange under a magnifying lamp. Brilliant! Nice addition to your tools too.
David

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

Haha! Well, the magnification is clearly sufficient. It is a mandarin, not an orange :lol:

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

ph-adk wrote:It is a mandarin.
真的,你跟你的橘子說話了嗎 ??? :shock:

Marudek
Flight #7
Flight #7
Poland

Post by Marudek »

1,75 times? I've got 5 time magnifying lamp and it is not enough for me so today I bought a microscope :D

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

F_IV wrote:
ph-adk wrote:It is a mandarin.
真的,你跟你的橘子說話了嗎 ??? :shock:
You're absolutely right. It is a mandarin in Dutch but that doesn't make it a mandarin in English. Nor Mandarin.

It's a tangerine! Although Wikipedia tells me that a tangerine is a variety of a 'mandarijn'

*edit: the English wikipedia site tells us: The mandarin orange (Citrus reticulata), also known as the mandarin or mandarine, is a small citrus tree with fruit resembling other oranges, usually eaten plain or in fruit salads. Reddish-orange mandarin cultivars can be marketed as tangerines, but this is not a botanical classification

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Marudek wrote:1,75 times? I've got 5 time magnifying lamp and it is not enough for me so today I bought a microscope :D
I'm looking at using a scanning electron microscope to get better resolution on rivets ... :P

And this Mandarin is desperately looking for his tangerines ...
4473476627_9ed25a61df.jpg
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Return to “Modellers and their workbenches (and stash)”