Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Between the Wars - General Discussion

The two decades between the First and Second World Wars saw major advances in all areas of technology. In military and civil aviation, flimsy wood and canvas biplanes and triplanes gave way to sleek all-metal monoplanes. The lumbering "land ships" of WW1 were replaced by maneuverable tanks and armoured cars. In this GB, anything that was developed and operated between 1919 and 1939 (but not WW2) is fair game.
Runs from 10 August 2019 to 26 January 2020.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Between the Wars - General Discussion

Post by smeg1959 »

Just a clarification. When we decided upon the topic, no-one ever stated that it had to be solely aviation. I think that was more implied than anything else. I reckon other technological developments from the period should also be acceptable, which may sate some of those who voted for the "Anything But Aircraft" option. Whilst I'm thinking tanks, armoured cars and other vehicles (even cars) here, someone might even want to sneak in a marine vessel or two.

Of course, if everyone objects vehemently to this, let me know and we will narrow the terms of reference.
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), PZL.37 B II Łoś (Amercom)
GB16 - War of the Worlds Diorama (Pegasus)

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Between the Wars - General Discussion

Post by F_IV »

Land and sea sound good to me.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Going to float a suggestion here. The original end date for this GB was 17 November. In the meantime, the Me262 GB has come and gone (albeit not with the level of participation due to a number of factors) and we're now a handful of weeks into the MiG-21 GB which is scheduled to go until the end of the year. With some obvious exceptions (F_IV's brilliant Sparrowhawk and BigReg's pre-war RAF production facility for starters), it seems we're in a bit of a hiatus at the moment. As I gravely doubt anyone would want to entertain a new GB before 2020, I was going to suggest extending the GB10 deadline to the same end date as the one for the Fishbed, namely 31 December. Yes, I know this flies in the face of the Rules of Engagement for Group Builds (Volume 23, page 814) but I thought I'd ask.

Personally, I do want to participate in the Tween the Wars GB but won't be free of excessive work commitments until the end of November (we've just lost two tech staff and so we teachers are having to prepare materials and do lab set-ups for our practical classes). So yes, my suggestion is not entirely altruistic ... :oops:
OTB ...

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

I’m supportive. The fact I’m writing this at 3am (not MY usual waking hour) is indicative of why I have not yet made great progress on the Gee Bees. Good call Smeg.

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

I agree as well. My Gauntlet build has stalled whilst I knock together a MiG 21. I have also built 2 Airfix 72 scale Lightning s for my club display at Scale Model World.
David

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Thanks, gents. I know two members doesn't constitute a quorum, but I'm going with the date extension. Selfishly, it does give me something to reward myself with if I survive November! :roll:
OTB ...

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Oops, late to the party but I’d love the extension too!

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

smeg1959 wrote:Thanks, gents. I know two members doesn't constitute a quorum, but I'm going with the date extension. Selfishly, it does give me something to reward myself with if I survive November! :roll:
I really must stop breaking mirrors over black cats whilst standing under ladders. All my student marking was completed, most of my colleagues had headed off for the Restive Season and suddenly the regulators decided to audit three of the units I teach. There are individuals who work for our government who could give interrogators at Guantanamo Bay a run for their money! Pure :evil:.

Anyway, with today's temperature hitting a possible 44 degrees Celsius, even if I'd been off work modelling wouldn't have been a viable option. I have been told to take leave from the 25th until the second week of January (to be ready for the next visit from the Grill Team, no doubt), so one or two bits of plastic may get stuck together in coming weeks. I'm hoping that other members won't take offence if we extended the two current GBs until, say, Sunday 26 January. I've bought the orange and purple for my P-36C, so I do intend getting that bizarre 6-colour scheme done, but I don't want to race between coats and risk a colour coming off with the masking tape. Also thinking about another entry which will, in all likelihood, only need two external colours.

Just let me know if you're not favourable to an extension. All correspondence will be entered into, etc, etc. ;)
OTB ...

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Works for me! I might even see if I can take a stab at something during that time too.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

If the possibility of another F_IV masterpiece isn't enough to sway opinion, I don't know what is! ;)
OTB ...

Return to “Group Build 10: Between the Wars”