Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg’s Curtiss P-36C Hawk (Mark I)

The two decades between the First and Second World Wars saw major advances in all areas of technology. In military and civil aviation, flimsy wood and canvas biplanes and triplanes gave way to sleek all-metal monoplanes. The lumbering "land ships" of WW1 were replaced by maneuverable tanks and armoured cars. In this GB, anything that was developed and operated between 1919 and 1939 (but not WW2) is fair game.
Runs from 10 August 2019 to 26 January 2020.
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Re: Smeg’s Curtiss P-36C Hawk (Mark I)

Post by F_IV »

I think mine is more of a match for PRU pink.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on. Don't forget the cotton buds and soapy water in between masking jobs. That Vallejo just loves to peel off. :|

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

F_IV wrote:Don't forget the cotton buds and soapy water in between masking jobs.
Going to channel Pauline Hanson here ... "Please explain." You've got me worried by the peeling quote, too. I didn't have an issue when I removed the Tamiya tape on the earlier builds using the Model Air (the type 432 and the captured Fw190, both during GB8). Angus, any failure-to-adhere issues from your end? Last thing I need with a scheme this convoluted is to remove the masking and take the paint with it. :shock:

The thing that cooked my goose with Vallejo the first time around was the paint cracking after application of the Tamiya clear coat. I think I may have resolved that issue in that I have found other modellers online who claim that you've got to use Vallejo's acrylic varnish as the lacquer-based products (i.e. like Tamiya TS78, TS79 and TS80) are too "hot". Bought me the satin version in a rattle can from the House of War yesterday. Did cost $AUS24 but is four times the volume of its Tamiya counterpart (400mL versus 100mL) which retails around $AUS12. Initial tests suggest that the aerosol nozzle allows out way too much for anything 1/144, even holding the can the mandatory 25cm above the surface being treated, and pooling of these coats can (i) damage the paint coating and (ii) result in "frosting". However like other rattle cans, I've read that you can decant the stuff and pop it in an airbrush, so that will be my next experiment. Let you know and all that ...
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), PZL.37 B II Łoś (Amercom)
GB16 - War of the Worlds Diorama (Pegasus)

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Sorry, I meant washing the surface to remove oily fingerprints and whatnot. Usually the tail and rear fuselage get handled a lot while masking and subsequent coats can peel off there. I use water and dishwashing liquid to wash down the surface fairly frequently as I go. Not a lot of water. Just clean a section, wipe and move on to the next bit.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Really useful tip, particularly with my sweaty mitts. If I could find suitable gloves, I would wear them. Unfortunately, everything I've tried either makes it impossible to hold small parts or cuts off the circulation in my hands! :roll:
OTB ...

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

My model club, north somerset, meet at the Helicopter museum which is unheated. It can be very cold and Mike, Bootneck42, models in rubber gloves. I just drink lots of coffee to keep my hands warm.
David

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

With recent temperatures hitting the low 40's in Celsius, staying warm whilst modelling has certainly not been a factor. Hate to think how much perspiration would end up filling a pair of rubber gloves in my case. And the coffee here is definitely iced! ;)

A very brief update. First round of masking to protect the white …
Curtiss P-36C Hawk - USAAC Black 67 (10).jpg
Curtiss P-36C Hawk - USAAC Black 67 (11).jpg
… and here is the orange, aka “Sunny Skin Tone” …
Curtiss P-36C Hawk - USAAC Black 67 (12).jpg
Actually, the colour is more orange than this photo might suggest. I get the impression that Vallejo used Donald Trump as its reference. :roll:
OTB ...

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Looking good....Here in these parts its been low to mid 30's but 70% humidity.... urrrgh. No work in the shed for me.

Ian

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Well it's a start but the finish line is very close.......
David

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

David, I fear the GB10 deadline is going to be the least of my worries. Yesterday after a good 72+ hours, more masking …
Curtiss P-36C Hawk - USAAC Black 67 (13).jpg
… and look what happened when my fingernail barely touched the surface whilst burnishing the tape …
Curtiss P-36C Hawk - USAAC Black 67 (14).jpg
F_IV warned about the “scratchability” of the Vallejo product so I’m not surprised. I tossed up whether to abort, peel the masking away then remove the orange but, heaven help me, I have pushed on. The purple layer has been applied but I can assure you it is not the Model Colour I bought to do the job. Rather, it is a blend of Lifecolor acrylics, red, orange and various blues. I did not keep track of proportions, simply kept adding colours until the result matched the Vallejo purple (the bottle of which remains unopened).
Curtiss P-36C Hawk - USAAC Black 67 (15).jpg
As I’ve said on countless occasions, Lifecolor might block airbrush nozzles, even with flow aid added, but one thing it does well is adhere to surfaces. My fear now is that the orange “undercoat” may have compromised this adhesion. Hindsight being a fine thing, I regret not simply lightening my LC05 Orange with a bit of white to get the correct colour in the first place. Whilst my instinct cries "Enough!", progress later in the day on my other GB10 entry has presented Vallejo with a stay of execution. Whether that is temporary or not, only time will tell.
OTB ...

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Some significant progress leading up to the deadline, but this one will need to migrate to the Shelf of Shame as there's a few steps still needing to be completed. As I said in my Bf109B build, I won't have my usual internet access until work finishes upgrading our PCs (this post is via my mobile phone). When up and running, I will post progress photos, create the SoS thread and lock the GB.
OTB ...

Return to “Group Build 10: Between the Wars”