Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

AJMM’s GeeBees

The two decades between the First and Second World Wars saw major advances in all areas of technology. In military and civil aviation, flimsy wood and canvas biplanes and triplanes gave way to sleek all-metal monoplanes. The lumbering "land ships" of WW1 were replaced by maneuverable tanks and armoured cars. In this GB, anything that was developed and operated between 1919 and 1939 (but not WW2) is fair game.
Runs from 10 August 2019 to 26 January 2020.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Re: AJMM’s GeeBees

Post by smeg1959 »

Also from the era is another corpulent little beast, the Caproni Stipa, which Kami de Koro Koro cast in resin (now long-OOP). From Wikipedia "... Stipa's basic idea, which he called the "intubed propeller", was to mount the engine and propeller inside a fuselage that itself formed a tapered duct, or venturi tube, and compressed the propeller's airflow and the engine exhaust before it exited the duct at the trailing edge of the aircraft, essentially applying Bernoulli's principle of fluid movements to make the aircraft's engine more efficient ...". Nice thought except that all it did was slow the aircraft down even more. Some interesting footage available on YouTube.
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), PZL.37 B II Łoś (Amercom)
GB16 - War of the Worlds Diorama (Pegasus)

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

A bit more progress on this. Absent world or family events, I should still be able to crack through these before the deadline (he says, recklessly taunting fate).

My focus was drilling two small holes in the wings and one in the spats to take the rigging. One of the advantages of soft, short-run styrene: I pressed in pilot holes with a needle, which made the whole process much quicker. My plan is to spray the coats and then thread the line from the upper fuselage, through the wing, spat and connect to the lower fuselage. That should, I hope, leave small holes to fill with CA glue and thinned down paint, but will be stronger.

These are now fully assembled. I have masked them with white-tak before priming and laying down the white base coat. Then I need to crack out the provided vinyl masks and spray the red. Plenty for me to stuff up there.

These are absolutely tiny. I mean, really small...

More next week, I hope.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Looking good! But who is that lovely lovely Spitfire?? It rather steals the show.

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Thanks F_IV only just saw your reply. Yes it’s an F-Toys one that is part of a trip I should finish this weekend. Beautifully captures the Griffon spits lines.

Bit more progress to report. I made them white.

Then put on the masks. Which are the vinyl type that are allergic to even a whisker of a curve (and look down their noses at panel lines, much less the rubbing on the rear fuselage). I got them in place all the same.

I then dithered and fretted about how to apply the red over such capricious masks. In the end, I airbrushed very slowly and gently building up the layers (quite a contrast to my usual Jeremy Clarkson/full firehose approach).

Anyway this all seemed to work ok and I had a brief moment of elation removing the masks to find little leakage and crisp neat lines, despite all my vinyl badmouthing...

Unfortunately this elation was buried under a torrent of frustrated swearing when I applied a coat of Humbrol Clear gloss varnish (after a good 36 hours drying time) and the solvent in this nibbled away at the edges my masks had created and generally suffused the white with a pinkish hue. Much anguish followed but I think I have now fixed it. Lots of holding of breath and delicate paintbrush work.

Decals next then it’s time for rigging these chaps (and see whether my experiment of drilling through the wing works or creates more anguish). Hope to crack these this weekend.

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

I hate those kind of masks. My kind of spraying makes the Clarkson approach look delicate.
David

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Looks good to me! I found recently that if I spray across and away from the edge of the mask rather than directly down onto the surface, I get much less bleed along the edges. Mind you, mileage may vary with such a tricky shape though :P
Untitled-1.jpg

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Whilst the clear coat adds protection and often evens out variations in gloss, it can have disastrous consequences, particularly if you apply a tad too much in a single pass. I’ve also discovered the horror of the solvent in the coating either damaging the underlying paint or discolouring the decals. Looks like you’ve pulled this portly pair out of the fire thankfully. And especially after doing such a stellar job on the masking. Really impressive ... and a reminder of what awaits me with my multi-hued P-36C. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Incidentally, what paint was responsible for the white on the GeeBees? Thought I’d get away with Mr Base White 1000 undercoat but it doesn’t always behave, occasionally reacting with subsequent layers and lifting.
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), PZL.37 B II Łoś (Amercom)
GB16 - War of the Worlds Diorama (Pegasus)

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Thanks guys! F_IV - that's what I did and it worked really well actually (apart from the rear fuselage ribbing which would really need a more flexible mask like tape I think). Anyway, the problem, as Smeg alludes to, was the gloss coat that followed which fowled up all this hard work. Smeg - the paints were your bete noir, Vallejo! :twisted:

Anyway - I have been touching these up - quite a lot of touch up required after gloss-coat gate. It's not disastrous any longer. I also got on and rigged them. The technique of a hole drilled through the wing to carry the flying braces worked well. It was more like Lilliputian needlepoint than my usual rigging experience and there were moments when it was like trying to push hot spaghetti up a cat's behind, but it was basically pretty quick and easy.

I painted the wires white, as per reference photos. Filling in the remaining holes is a bit of a headache, but I'm getting there.

Now to do the canopy, add the remaining decals and fix up the prop and I reckon we're done.

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

White and Red.....Two impossible colours to get right. ......Done right.

Looks great!

Ian

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Angus, can you post a picture with a ruler just see just how small they are?
Ta.
David

Return to “Group Build 10: Between the Wars”