Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg’s Messerschmitt Bf109B (Armory)

The two decades between the First and Second World Wars saw major advances in all areas of technology. In military and civil aviation, flimsy wood and canvas biplanes and triplanes gave way to sleek all-metal monoplanes. The lumbering "land ships" of WW1 were replaced by maneuverable tanks and armoured cars. In this GB, anything that was developed and operated between 1919 and 1939 (but not WW2) is fair game.
Runs from 10 August 2019 to 26 January 2020.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Nambia

Re: Smeg’s Messerschmitt Bf109B (Armory)

Post by ajmm »

Looking forward to it!

b.l.stryker
JV 144
JV 144
Germany

Post by b.l.stryker »

Does your Me have the right dimensions? You somehow looks to a Hawker Hurricane from and not so slim how a 109.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

As F_IV pointed out, there are definitely inaccuracies in the Armory 109B (and, unless it’s a completely different mould, I would suspect their 109E, too). Haven’t put it against any schematics but the general fuselage profile doesn’t seem too bad. Either that or all 20+ 109s in my display cabinet are wrong as shape and length are pretty similar. Probably more my dodgy iPhone photography ... :oops:
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), PZL.37 B II Łoś (Amercom)
GB16 - War of the Worlds Diorama (Pegasus)

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

b.l.stryker wrote:Does your Me have the right dimensions? You somehow looks to a Hawker Hurricane from and not so slim how a 109.
The bodunofnthenairframendies look deep, is it an Optical illusion?

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Martin, I think you mean that it's a Friday afternoon build?
David

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

BigReg wrote:Martin, I think you mean that it's a Friday afternoon build?
David
Ah, that will be the auto correct on the phone :roll:

It meant to read "the body of the the airframe looks deep, or is it an optical illusion'?

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Ah see there I was, BD, thinking you were cracking out some niche Luftwaffe mechanical lingo...! :D

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Still awaiting someone at work to get our PCs in order, so I'm over at SWMBO's. Obviously she isn't here or I would be in the garden constructing things. :roll:

OK, let's wind this up. The decals were both thin and well printed, although I did detect a slight register issue on the wing roundels. However, one problem I did find was with the rudder crosses. Armory has gone with the white background in the shape of the rudder, which would be fine if the decals were the right size. They are not, being marginally oversized and that’s allowing for the curvature on the edge of the rudder. I tried cutting the decals down but wasn’t happy with the result as the port and starboard crosses were difficult to align at the top and bottom of the rudder. With Nationalist crosses, I’ve always preferred no background on the decals and to paint the white myself. Fortunately, creating and printing black decals on a clear background is pretty straightforward, so that’s what I did.

After a day to completely dry, the model received its dose of Tamiya TS80 clear matt. Even though the Vallejo was protected under all that Future, I was still cautious and applied three very light coats. To protect the clear part from clouding, I did my usual liquid mask between the frame lines. However, because of the stripping effect of ammonia on Future, I did not use Maskol, opting for the non-ammonia-based Vallejo mask. And, this time around, I will give our Spanish colleagues a bouquet. First time I’ve used it and, quite frankly, it’s far easier to apply and remove than Maskol. Much better on the olfactory system, too. Finally, Uschi thread added and model completed.

Messerschmitt Bf109B-1 - Condor Legion 6-10 (10).jpg
Messerschmitt Bf109B-1 - Condor Legion 6-10 (11).jpg
Messerschmitt Bf109B-1 - Condor Legion 6-10 (12).jpg
Messerschmitt Bf109B-1 - Condor Legion 6-10 (18).jpg

I have included a shot posed with a Takara Bf109E-3 I bought way back in 2006, prefinished in SCW livery.

Messerschmitt Bf109B-1 - Condor Legion 6-10 (20).jpg

In summary, not the easiest model I’ve ever built – definitely more Mark I than Eduard or Sweet – but I’ve always been a 109 nut so I am happy to have a Bertha to sit with all the Emils, Friedrichs, Gustavs, Kurfürsts and Trägers on my shelves. Delighted that Armory joined the 1/144 fray but they do need to exercise more care, both in attention to accuracy and in the area of accompanying documentation. When all else fails, read the instructions? Not here, sir. :roll:
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), PZL.37 B II Łoś (Amercom)
GB16 - War of the Worlds Diorama (Pegasus)

Return to “Group Build 10: Between the Wars”