Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Roger's Little Ships

If it floats on the water, it goes here!
RogerP
Flight 10
Flight 10
1/144 Interest: No
Australia

Roger's Little Ships

Post by RogerP »

OK here we go, just a coupla piccies to start with, have to sort out where I've 'hidden' some others.
ML 429-15.JPG
MLs 810,357,820.JPG
These pics above show some of my Fairmile B's (the 'B' is my favourite ship for some reason) prior to painting so you can see the resin and brass parts.
ML 429-51.JPG
ML 429-54.JPG
These pics above are close-ups of ML 429, an RAN 'B'.

More photo's to follow.
Cheers,
Roger.

"Roger's Little Ships".
Modelling Allied Light Coastal Forces and Riverine Craft.

Russ

Re: Roger's Little Ships

Post by Russ »

Excellent shipbuilding. Question about the basic construction, are these all plastic with resin and PE details ? Or is there also card and wood ? :ugeek:

RogerP
Flight 10
Flight 10
Australia

Post by RogerP »

Thanks Russ, :D :D

No plastic or wood involved, the basic model is card with resin fittings and brass railings.

Future Fairmile B's will be resin instead of card and still (at this stage) waterline as the original card kits are waterline.
Cheers,
Roger.

"Roger's Little Ships".

Russ

Post by Russ »

Amazed at the compound curves you are making with card. I used to make some card ships, but all were typically ships with slab sides and usually a square transom or a simple rounded stern. Is there an internal set of formers that are helping hold those bow shapes? :geek:

RogerP
Flight 10
Flight 10
Australia

Post by RogerP »

Hi Russ,

The best way to show is this -- http://cfp.muerell.de/download/anleitun ... cort_e.pdf
Here you should see the card model instructions for one of the Fairmile B's produced by Coastal Forces in Paper.
Cheers,
Roger.

"Roger's Little Ships".

RogerP
Flight 10
Flight 10
Australia

Post by RogerP »

Hello from Bendigo,

Now that I've had a few orders for Fairmile B class Motor Launches I have decided to have masters made for resin casting. Here is the basic hull/deck/above deck structures castings.
Fairmile B master 3.JPG
Cheers,
Roger.

"Roger's Little Ships".

RogerP
Flight 10
Flight 10
Australia

What next in 1/144th scale?

Post by RogerP »

Hello again,

Now that we have done the above Fairmile B I am now looking for opinions as to what I should do next in 1/144th scale.
Which of the following types would be of interest do you think?

Vosper MTB, the early war version, those built during 1940-42, like the forthcoming Italeri kit OR The US 80’ Elco PT Boat.

Any there any other types that appeal, such as –

The RN 72’ HDML.
Fairmile D (MGB/MTB/Rescue versions).
British Power Boat MGBs/MTBs.
WW1 ML and CMB’s.
The quite elegant SGB and
The US PC.

There are numerous other types of course, but I think those above might be the more popular choices.

The model will be waterline, mounted on a small seascape and crewed with figures.
Cheers,
Roger.

"Roger's Little Ships".

RogerP
Flight 10
Flight 10
Australia

Post by RogerP »

Hello Everyone,

Below is my first resin Fairmile B model, ML 357. She was an RN 'little ship' serving in the Aegean/Adriatic Seas and I built three for a customer in Western Aust, who's late father was the radio/telegraphist.
ML 357-20.JPG
I am building two more for customers here in Oz, as well putting the parts together for three kits, two for a customer in the US and the other for a customer in Canada.

The next resin kit will most likely be the Vosper MTB, followed by the US Elco 80' PT boat.
Cheers,
Roger.

"Roger's Little Ships".

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

excellent looking 'little ship'!
You have to post details of cost and postage etc so people can order!
Regards
Peter

RogerP
Flight 10
Flight 10
Australia

Post by RogerP »

Thanks Peter,

I'm really happy with the way it has turned out. I thought it might be more appropriate if those interested in purchasing a made up model or a kit would 'pm' me, but I guess it's OK to say so publicly.

Made up models are $AU300 and kits are $AU130, both prices include registered post. I think keep it simple and not worry about calculating postage and other costs. I have paypal or people can pay by other means, whatever suits. In both cases (made up or kit) I need to know which particular Fairmile the customer wants so I include the appropriate parts.

I need to add some detail and make some adjustments to the deck and superstructure masters before getting more castings done but that won't (shouldn't) take toooo long.

The next model/kit in resin will be the Vosper MTB, followed by the US Elco 80' PT Boat. I've also had quite some interest in a PBR Mk II and I have a chap in the US who will produce the master for casting. My molder/caster in Melbourne tells me he would like to tackle the Vosper master then perhaps the Elco, but his modelling time is very limited which is why I asked some ago if anyone out there would like to 'have a go' at doing a master. The other boat that has generated some interest is the Higgins 78' PT Boat.
Cheers,
Roger.

"Roger's Little Ships".

Return to “1/144 Naval & Ships”