Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Maintenance Complete

Posts and information related to New Features and Board Issues
nils
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Belgium

Re: Maintenance Complete

Post by nils »

the new forum look...different, but not in a bad way.
one minor suggestion as smeg pointed out, reduce the banner size, here it takes up half of my screen :?

also glad to see that new members can register again, i have a friend who wants to join for quit a long time now.
on the bench:
-3 x Sepecat Jaguar (RAF, France and Indian AF) ON HOLD
-Hawker Hurricane Mk.I - Belgian AF
-Fairey Battle Mk.I - Belgian AF
-Curtiss P-40E - Dutch East Indies AF

planned:
-Area 88 Air Base diorama

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

OK will do.

The banner is actually quite small, the plug in is rescaling it.

Interesting how it presents on different peoples screens. I did think it a little larger than the previous one. If it's causing issues I:ll revert back to the simple name banner

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Also, I've noticed the new generation of forum software works and scales much better on a mobile device than the old one.

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

So the good news is we've had @10 new registrations. However, I have noted there is an issue with the email hookup so new users aren't getting emails from the board

I had this problem years ago on the old hosting platform. So I will need to do some digging and get some details from the new hosting service

I suspect this will be the start of the week before I get time to resolve fully.

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

You should all now be seeing the "small" banner - if not, it could be a local browser cache issues. As I am now seeing this banner of the desktop and mobile versions.
Small Banner
Small Banner
For those (peter) querying the "mark forum read/topic read", this has changed a little and appreciate it will take

I have noticed the add files/attachments has gotten more friendly with the way the 'place inline' and 'file comments works'.

BD99
topics read
topics read
forum / topic read
forum / topic read
mark read
mark read
There is also a similar function direct from the "unread posts" function too.
mark unread
mark unread

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Firstly Martin, many thanks for reducing the size of the header ... albeit that I'm missing my Sturmvogel already. It has now allowed me to zoom a couple of levels as the new default font is considerably smaller and finer than its predecessor. Can almost hear some members saying, "Geez, he's making 1/144 scale models yet can't read the screen. Why doesn't he take up 1/24?" Answer. Ever thought how much room a 1/24 scale Lanc would occupy? My apartment isn't big enough! :P

Thanks, too, for the walk-through on changes to some of the menu items. A little reminiscent of the re-learning we've had to do each time Bill Gates decides to invoke the next incarnation of Windows. Reckon many of our members have gone through that on more than one occasion.

Working day in, day out on online resources, assessments, etc. for my students, I am very quickly discovering the limitations of the delivery system we use (a thing called Canvas). Quite a lot of elements have that "bulletin board" flavour to them and the experience I've acquired from being an administrator here has put me in good stead. And yes, it too has its little foibles when it comes to handling things like header graphics. Even more so when the dimensions seem to vary depending upon the device you are viewing the site with. Ah, the fun of HTML, JavaScript, et al! ;)
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Re: Maintenance Complete - Google Search

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Ok, so this is largely working, though I may look to tweak and finesse this going forwards - I hope people find it useful?

Search Option Screen 1
So, you will notice TWO search boxes on the forum now.
    Box #1 - is the default phpBB3 forum search functionality, which we know is a bit rubbish. This still remains the main form of searching with all of its annoying traits. Note that the default search appears on all screens.
      Box #2 - is the 'add-on google search' search functionality, which we is an improvement on the default search.
      This gives the ability to search BOTH a) the KG144 Forum AND b) the KG144 Blogspot - as the same content often isnt repeated.
      The annoyance here is that google gives you half a page of adverts before the search results :roll:
      The google search option pops up on varios screens!
      click image for better view:
      Google "pre-search"
      Google "pre-search"

Google Search Results
      Here you can see the concept of the search results with a) the adverts and then b) mixed forum results.
      Google "results"
      Google "results"

bluedonkey99
      Site Admin
      Site Admin
      Great Britain

Re: Maintenance Complete - Donations

Post by bluedonkey99 »

I have set up a donation mechanism to provide options for members to show appreciation and support the annual hosting costs

New icon to facilitate paypal donations.
      Main Screen
      Main Screen

Donation options - you get a reminder in a years time.
      Options
      Options

bluedonkey99
      Site Admin
      Site Admin
      Great Britain

Re: Maintenance Complete - FONT

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Based upon feedback, I have scaled the font size to 120% any more seemed to make it too large.

any feedback welcome.

smeg1959
      JV 144 6 Star
      JV 144 6 Star
      1/144 Interest: Yes
      Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

For old Blind Pew here, it's ideal! :oops:
      OTB ...
      GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Return to “New Features and Board Issues”