Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

New Features: Part 2

Posts and information related to New Features and Board Issues
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

New Features: Part 2

Post by bluedonkey99 »

So, I cant resist having a play.

- Post Previews, as the name suggests you can hover over a topic and get a preview of the content (minus images/links) for first/last post. Let me know if its useful, or an annoyance?

- Post Numbers, again, as it suggests, under the post subject their is a post number. Cosmetically useful for reference and practical! if you click the number it will copy it to the clipboard. This can then be used internally within the board of cross referencing posts and/or external links for emails etc..

- Topic Posted, basically gives you the overall age of the topic - not sure how useful these will be to you?

- Topic Read Time, I tried this and it appeared unreliable - so i deactivated it!

to come

- Forum Header, I can reinstate a large forum header with this new feature. I will try it out, however I need to find some decent / relevant images.

- Donations Box, Well the forum does not run on air and whilst the new hosting package is cheaper than the old, the price creeps up with the security certificate for HTTPS, and the back-up and restore facility also costs extra - this has been very useful over the last few days, ensuring minimal content over a 2hr window *may* have been lost. Previously, i though this was taking the **** whilst the forum is in #### state, but once we have been running stabley,safely and adding new members i think the option to voluntarily donate would be useful (and very much appreciated by me! :lol: )

Again, let me know how you feel on any of these features.

Thats all for now!!

bootneck42
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Great Britain

Re: New Features: Part 2

Post by bootneck42 »

I think that many of us will be happy to donate to the upkeep of the site, as we get so much pleasure and knowledge from the site.
Mike
All for one and 144 all

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

I’d second that.

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

The forum header is way to big, it takes up 40% of my screen :o (macOS catalina 10.15.3)

I'm going to dive in the new forum now, and of course i'm up for a donation.

Lex

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Looks good so far and the best bit is it allows new members to join!
I certainly think you need to have a donation button, you deserve it and we would not want to sponge of your generosity for too long!
The banner is too big it takes up 1/4 of my Windows Chrome screen!
There also seems to be a large Left and Right margins with about 3cm of screen just blank before anything to do with the forum starts. Although I note the banner has white edges that go to the edge of my screen but the forum test is 3cm in from each side.
Also how do I mark a thread read without actually going in to read a post?
Regards
Peter

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

I've changed the header, so it shouldn't be taking up large parts of the screen anymore..?

I hadn't noticed the 'mark all as read' was missing.
I'll add it to the list :-)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

As one of the old timers who've been on the forum since Adam (or maybe even Martin) was a boy, I'd be happy to pitch in to keep the site up and viable. As I said elsewhere, it's been one of those "daily dos" that has added a sense of normality to the far-from-normal situation we all currently find ourselves in.

Mind you, the word "donation" is currently having a strange effect on me personally. Whilst we are working longer hours than ever getting things running smoothly online for our students, our employer is set to take a hit of around $AUS76 million, primarily from the loss of international enrolments. No doubt Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Yale, etc. are in a similar boat. Now rather than say we are cutting your salaries by 10% to keep the system viable, the story has now changed to staff making "voluntary donations for the welfare of all". We will be able to "opt out" but with the stigma of being branded thieving b*stards. Don't you just love emotional blackmail! That being said, I will "do the morally right thing" if the organisation agrees that my colleagues who lost their jobs get them back once we're on an even keel again. Not making sacrifices for upgrades to the Head Honchos' Staffroom or buying the VC a Eurocopter! :P
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Martin, Is it possible to make the actual area where the forum is as wide as the monitor is? I note that with the smaller banner it goes all the way to the edges of the screen Left and Right, BUT the actual area of the forum where the posts are occupies only the central 3/5ths . My monitor is 52cm wide but there is 10cm of grey 'Space' to the Left and Right of where the posts are!

also, can I make the font size larger within all the posts ? I realise I can do it for what I am posting
Regards
Peter

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Peter

I:ll continue to see what I cam do.

Looking on the support forums I have tired to make some xhamfes to the style config, but the didn't seem to make any difference _viz the borders.

The only temporary fix I can suggest at the moment is to zoom the browser week (I.e press CTRL and use the mouse wheel to zoom in/out - on Windows at least)

I do share your problem as I run 2x 24inch screens of my desktop PC.

I'll spend some more time on Monday looking at the sizing factors

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Don't stress over it if it isn't as easy as switching a setting.
I can manage but just thought it might be easy to do.
Regards
Peter

Return to “New Features and Board Issues”