Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Beacon Models - update

For the latest news, always see the following blog first : http://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.com/
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Beacon Models - update

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Pre-orders are now closed
We apologise for the length of this message however we must be fully transparent with this.

Dear Backers and Customers,

We are reaching out to you having made some difficult decisions about how to proceed with the project. First, we would like to thank you once again for you incredible patience and support, we are so lucky to have you all behind us and keeping the faith.

The good news is that we are now at the stage where we are placing orders with our suppliers for production of plastic, decals, instructions, boxes and masks which have all been designed and won't take long to manufacture. However there is bad news; we simply do not have the budget from pre-order revenue to launch with our intended range of nine Spitfire and Bf109 variant kits. The minimum order quantities for the decal sheets and kit boxes is just too expensive, and drastically outnumbers the quantity of kits that have been pre-ordered. Partly this is because supplier costs have gone up dramatically during the pandemic and beyond, and partly it's because we have not raised as much revenue through pre-orders as we did on our Kickstarter which didn't fund successfully. However we have a plan that we hope you will be satisfied with.

After much consideration we have decided to initially launch with ONLY the Spitfire Vs Bf109E set, and the RAF Dispersal set (which has no decals and a plain box as it's a 3D printed limited edition product.) If we do this, then we can get it all produced with the money you've trusted us with, and can begin shipping in October. We will work flat out to deliver all pre-orders before IPMS Scale Model World. We're so sorry that some of you won't get exactly what you ordered originally, but I hope you will still enjoy what we can send you.

Some of your orders will need to be changed to reflect the products we are now making, if you're willing to allow that. To thank you for deciding to stay and understanding our predicament, we are going to give EVERYBODY the two pilot figures, the RAF Dispersal art print by Chris Freeman and a new 3D printed Kubelwagen diorama accessory as a free bonus.

WHAT WE'RE GOING TO DO:

We're going to send you as many boxes of the Spit vs 109 kits as the number of kits you pre-ordered. With each of these boxes, we will include a sheet of generic Spit/109 marking decals that will allow you to build what's in the box as a number of different aircraft variants and units, so there will still be some creative potential for you to make the kit your own as well as Stapme Stapleton's Spitfire and Von Werra's 109. The decals will not be made by Cartograf like the decals in the kit boxes, but they will be from the best supplier we can afford to have them made by. Those of you who ordered the dispersal set will get that, just the way you originally ordered.

Those who placed large orders will be contacted individually.

IF YOU'RE OK WITH THIS:

You don't need to do anything! Just hold tight and your kits will be with you while you're still having second thoughts about the quantity of Halloween sweeties you may have enjoyed. If you are happy with our plan, please don't respond to this email as we may be dealing with many emails from customers who need help with this – though you can always drop us a message on Instagram, Facebook or Discord if you like!

IF YOU'RE NOT OK WITH THIS:

Please reply to this email including your order number and let us know how we can make things right for you. If you want a full or partial refund, we will do our best to make it happen. If you ordered a spitfire kit and a 109 kit but now you want a dispersal set instead of two dogfight sets etc, no problem! Just let us know and we'll change the order for you.

IF YOU HAVE MOVED HOUSE:

Also please tell us!!

WHAT HAPPENS AFTERWARDS:

We will eventually launch the other kits we had planned, and because all the assets already exist and the tools are made, it will just be a matter of raising the funds again to place the orders with suppliers. Maybe we will do a mini-kickstarter for each variant, if people are interested. But for now we want to focus on getting these orders out.

Thank you once again, we're very close to the finish line now and even though it's not quite what we had hoped for, we're still proud of what we've achieved and we hope you will enjoy the kits!

Will & Bryan.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Beacon Models - update

Post by F_IV »

B01DF859-BE2E-47A4-9664-1880DD94E176.jpeg

Tim R-T-C
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Post by Tim R-T-C »

In short, costs of decal and box printing were far higher than originally intended, so for now there will just be a single boxing produced with one Spit I and one 109e in each and a single decal sheet.

I have been assured that all the kit sprues will be included as planned, so it will be possible to build all the Spit and 109 variants at least.

Silenoz
Flight #288
Flight #288
Belgium

Post by Silenoz »

that's the short and understandable version...

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Not sure I want 109s in my life, that’s part of the problem for me. I only went for the single kit spitfires for a reason.

I shall have to think about what to do. I can certainly see their dilemma.

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

Most unfortunate.

Honestly, I gave support to this endeavour looking further ahead at what could come afterwards (Bf 110, Blenheim, etc).
I ordered more 109Es than Spritfires. I have decals to cover the former in different options but the latter not really...

In the spirit of my initial decision, I think I'm going to stick with what they propose just to help them move forward. It would be a shame for them to come so far and fail...

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four

mbittner
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star
United States of America

Post by mbittner »

Anyone want to trade Spits for 109s? Like Angus, I don't do 109s, but will still go with what Beacon is doing, just to move things along.
Matt Bittner
Managing Editor
Internet Modeler
http://www.internetmodeler.com/

Tim R-T-C
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Post by Tim R-T-C »

I have suggested to Will that for preorders, I'm sure people would be happy to have unbranded boxes and get two 109 or Spits in them if that is their preference. May be something they can look into.

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Gets my vote Tim.

Otherwise I’ll suggest I'm prepared to wait for the next releases without seeking a refund or receiving the dogfight duel set. I’ve waited a year or so - another won’t harm me. Im sure I can find stuff to build in the meantime and I trust them.

Like others, most of all I’d like to see Beacon succeed. It would be tragic for so much passion and attention to detail to amount to little.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Firstly, I really appreciate Will and Bryan giving us the detailed and very honest "heads up". I can only imagine how difficult this would have been and I do feel for both of you. I was talking with Mark (mtcc75) yesterday, and he was explaining just how hard it has become trying to get Platz to reissue OOP F-Toys models as straight injection-moulded kits. The numbers game plays heavily into this and the Virus That Shall Not Be Named has only added to the complications. Now that's from a huge well-established multi-million dollar - sorry, yen - Japanese venture. Kickstarter showed just how difficult this project would be.

Unlike some of my brethren here, I'm not huge fussed with "Spitfire versus Bf109E". True, my order concentrated solely on Spits because I have a plethora of 109's already (28 completed, 11 in the stash :roll:). But I just bought an AMG Bf109A from Mark yesterday and have plans for various gashapon repaints, so I'll probably go with the original proposed solution. However, I reckon Tim's suggestion is very definitely worth consideration, particularly as it seems there are numerous "Spitfire only" and "109 only" takers here. Not saying that the numbers will even out of course, but at least it's not a case that everyone only wants X and no-one wants Y.

PS. Matt and Angus, Willy Messerschmitt wants to know what he did wrong! :P
OTB ...
GB18 - B-25B Mitchell (F-Toys), Beaufighter Mk VIc (Mark I), MC.200 Folgore (F-Toys)
GB20 - AW.650-222 Argosy (MikroMir)

Return to “1/144 News!!!”