Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Mig88's pair of Niners - Eduard Spitfire IXc x2

GB13 saw us cover 1940. GB18 moved us along to 1942. So, if mathematical sequences had anything to do with it, we were always destined to tackle 1944. The largest amphibious landing (D-Day), the largest naval battle (Leyte Gulf), conflicts on more fronts than at any other time in history. Plenty of scope for everything from aircraft to naval vessels, from AFVs to figures. And don’t forget non-military builds are welcome, too. If it was there in 1944, it is most welcome in this Group Build!
Runs from 1 January 2024 until 31 December 2024.
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Mig88's pair of Niners - Eduard Spitfire IXc x2

Post by Mig88 »

Happy New Year to everyone. All the best for 2024!
New year and new GB so I decided to get the ball rolling...

Placeholder

Since I've just finished the year with a couple of Beacon Models' Spitfires (at the eleventh hour yesterday - one hour before midnight (seriously!)), I decided to start the year and the GB with a pair of Eduard's Spitfire Mk.IXc kits. I still have a week of holidays left but I'll only be able to start in a couple of days' time (I hope) as I have some other things to deal with first.

Spit9-w01.JPG
I will be doing option A, Pierre Clostermann 602 Sqn with D-day bands, and option C, 601 Sqn in Italy in overall metal finish except upper nose surfaces. I intend to at least make a rear "bulkhead" and seat in the cockpits so that they won't be completely empty. The seats will come from a Brengun etched set. Initially, the rest will be OOB.

I have various projects for this GB (Me 262s, B-17G, Fw 190D, Tempest, and others) but I'll only be committing when I get to them so this will be the only placeholder for the time being.

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Re: Mig88's pair of Niners - Eduard Spitfire IXc x2

Post by ajmm »

Looking forward to these enormously, Miguel. Great choices both of them.

I don't know if you're into Audible or even need the inspiration, but Clostermann's The Big Show is on there and is a great listen.

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

Thanks Angus. No I'm not into Audible.

In fact, I have what I presume to be his previous Spitfire IX built. It's the Italeri 1:72 kit which I built 23 years ago. One of legs broke at some point and no matter what I did to repair it, it kept breaking and I just stopped bothering to fix it.

0159 Spitfire IXc.jpg
My plan is to replace it with this kit. A pity, this later Spitfire didn't have the Free French cross on it!

Miguel

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

These will be good! So sad the fire at Eduard in Dec 2020 effectively signalled the death knell of their 1/144 line, despite a brief spurt of releases sometime afterwards. Of course, a few kits have re-emerged under the Platz banner but unfortunately not the Spitty, which is a really nice kit, albeit empty in the cockpit department.

Clostermann's Mk IX is a great choice. Would make an excellent companion for the Frenchman's Tempest Mk V that both F-Toys and Mark I have covered.
OTB ...
GB25 - Vickers Windsor (Anigrand), Messerschmitt Bf109F-4 (Bandai refinish)
SoS - Douglas C-47B Dakota (Minicraft)

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

Well, it took longer than a few days!

Starting

Something got in the way, an AZ Model 1:72 Spitfire Tr9 in Irish markings to be precise. This kit will physically replace the Italeri kit. I decided to tackle it first as I learnt it wasn't an easy kit, and it has been a bit of a struggle. Since it's finally in the painting stage, I got on with this pair last Saturday (26th).

Like Smeg, I won't bother with displaying the kit's parts, etc. On inspection it looks lovely despite its low part count and it's a pity it doesn't have anything in the cockpit. I decided to take a minimal approach to the cockpit by only making the part that would be most noticeable, in other words, the rear bulkhead with the seat and headrest.

Spit9-w02.JPG
Inspiration struck me and I had the idea of using the Beacon Models part as a guide. I have one spare because I used the 3D-printed pilot on one of their Spitfires. Except for the step along the lower side of the cockpit wall, it could be used as is just by cutting a matching step on each side. Using it as a template, I made the bulkhead from plastic card. I then more-or-less folded a pair of Brengun PE RAF seats (I've misplaced my folding tool) and glued each one to a bulkhead. The smaller seats would have been more accurate but I'm reserving them for the Sweet MC.200s and you won't really notice the taller ones are in the cockpit.

I then added a headrest from stretched sprue and used Kristal Klear to make the padding of the seat's back. To be able to hold the bulkhead in place inside the cockpit, I added small blocks from flat sprue to the cockpit sides. Things are going a bit slow now because I'm painting with enamels. Once painted, I'll be adding harnesses from masking tape.

Miguel

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

Time for an update...

Cockpit, airframes and wings

Things dragged a bit while painting my cockpit parts with enamels. Once done I added harnesses from masking tape as I said in my previous post. Not perfect but very decent.

Spit9-w03.JPG
I miscalculated a bit and had some trouble with my little bulkheads when joining the fuselage halves. In the end, the upper section was a bit too wide. One ended up a little lower than it should whereas I managed to fix the other. I had to deal with seams along the fuselage and struggled to get the wings glued in place, in part because of the cockpit bulkhead (I think) and I was a bit careless with the fuselage halves as I focused on getting the cockpits in place.

Spit9-w04.JPG
Things then speeded forwards a bit as once the seams were cleaned up, the tail wings, canopies and underside radiators (which I had painted up before) were quickly added. I'm now working on the undercarriage and the remaining parts (propeller and exhausts). The work on the bulkheads and seats have really been worth it as it is noticeable through the canopies.

Spit9-w05.JPG
I have a long weekend but the AZ Model Spitfire TR9 will be prioritised as it's close to finishing.

Miguel

cowleyi
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Looking very nice....

Ian

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

Thanks Ian.

Ready for painting

With the AZ Model Spitfire Tr.9 finished, things have sped forward. After all, these are quite simple kits!

Spit9-w06.JPG
Not much to add. I've painted up the undercarriage parts and assembled them. The only thing I found fiddly with this kit was gluing the main legs to their doors. The propellers have also been assembled and the exhausts, still on the sprues, are partially painted already. I'll be adding them later on to make painting the main scheme easier.

Thanks for looking

Miguel

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Looking good! These are such lovely kits. This GB is making me wonder why I’ve not built one for a few years. Looking forward to seeing some paint on these!

ID19
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Hamburg

Post by ID19 »

Oh yes, those are simple but very nice kits! Years ago they were the reason for me to try the scale for the first time, and I was impressed. (of course I learned pretty fast, that not all 1/144 kits are the same quality :lol: )
Too bad they're oop now!

Return to “Group Build 25: 1944”