Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Kitty with an Ulcer – Smeg’s Curtiss P-40M-10-CU (AFV Club)

GB13 saw us cover 1940. GB18 moved us along to 1942. So, if mathematical sequences had anything to do with it, we were always destined to tackle 1944. The largest amphibious landing (D-Day), the largest naval battle (Leyte Gulf), conflicts on more fronts than at any other time in history. Plenty of scope for everything from aircraft to naval vessels, from AFVs to figures. And don’t forget non-military builds are welcome, too. If it was there in 1944, it is most welcome in this Group Build!
Runs from 1 January 2024 until 31 December 2024.
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Re: Kitty with an Ulcer – Smeg’s Curtiss P-40M-10-CU (AFV Club)

Post by Mig88 »

Oooh! That's looking really good Smeg!

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four

Tim R-T-C
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Looks very smart in the RAAF green, I hadn't realised the white tail aircraft carried this green rather than typical OD.

ID19
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Hamburg

Post by ID19 »

Very promising; eager to see it in it's full glory with the decals on!
On the photo you see a part of the sqn with the white tail extending over the horizontal tailplane, too, and a broad ring on the spinner - did that change over time or were the individual aircraft painted differently?

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Very smart and the prop masking trick is excellent - I must remember that. This is really coming together. Hope it’s been something fun to grapple with if work has been grim.

Catherder
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star
United States of America

Post by Catherder »

Looking good, although fitting the canopy, one of the weak points of these kits, is still to come 😁

Smeg has previously shared his punched hole masking technique for 2-color spinners (and I have used it successfully) but this refinement for thin lines is awesome!

Andy

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Much appreciated, everyone. The spinner idea was something I considered for a while as I was just too ham-fisted when I tried to mask the band with Aizu 0.4mm tape. As I said, the first attempt was only a partial success, and I ended up using SMS thinners to strip the spinner back to the bare plastic before retrying with the thicker card. The key is to ensure that the hole in the card makes a near-impervious seal with the spinner. And the Blutack ensured the card didn't move at any stage.
Tim R-T-C wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 18:41
Looks very smart in the RAAF green, I hadn't realised the white tail aircraft carried this green rather than typical OD.
A lot of RAAF aircraft were finished in Foliage Green, particularly in the later years of the war. Numerous fighters also got the "white tail" treatment, so the combination with FG was quite common. Indeed, you will notice the same combo on my KdK Boomerang. It is true that some RAAF P-40's did retain the US OD41, so you do have to be careful. Fortunately, Marek has done a wealth of research for his Shelf Oddity instructions, and the 2-volume set RAAF Camouflage and Markings by Geoffrey Pentland is also a valuable resource. I wish I owned copies of these books but thankfully a local library has them on the shelves.
ID19 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 19:19
On the photo you see a part of the sqn with the white tail extending over the horizontal tailplane, too, and a broad ring on the spinner - did that change over time or were the individual aircraft painted differently?
Both! In one of Pentland's volumes, there are a number of photos of the same aircraft (not the one here, I should add) taken months apart, and you'd have thought the RAAF had nothing better to do than keep repainting their planes! And aircraft within a single squadron varied dramatically in the schemes used. The in-flight photo of the 76 Squadron P-40M's shows this - not all have white tails, those that do have differing demarcations between the white and the FG, spinner patterns varied, some aircraft had the white-and-blue tail flash whilst others did not.

As Pentland reminds the reader on innumerable occasions, the rules were there to be broken.
Catherder wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 0:54
Looking good, although fitting the canopy, one of the weak points of these kits, is still to come 😁
Forewarned is forearmed! I read everyone's build notes and made certain to sand and trim the canopy well before I started any of the painting. Having done all the framework yesterday, I certainly wouldn't want to start trimming the bugger now. So thanks to you, Andy, and to Angus, Miguel and anyone else who warned me of this canopy issue in their build threads. ;)
OTB ...
GB20 - Lavochkin La-7 (Mark I)
GB25 - Vickers Windsor (Anigrand), Curtiss P-40M Kittyhawk III (AFV Club)
SoS - Douglas C-47B Dakota (Minicraft) and several others :-(

cowleyi
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Looking very nice.....

Ian

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

A mini-update. The good news is my "Red Cross parcel" from Shelf Oddity has arrived, safe and sound. Marek, the decals are very impressive and I can't wait to "ulcerate my kitty"! The bad news is that work has ramped up even further since Easter so there may be a delay in getting the P-40M over the finishing line. Maybe this weekend ... he says wishfully. :?

Mini-update addendum. Never rains but it pours. 24 hours after the decals arrived, my consignment of P-40N's from eModels in the UK appeared at the local Post Office. If work ever abates long enough, this trio could find themselves a part of this GB, too. OK, maybe two of them, as I'm committed to building one as Len Waters' "Black Magic", a scheme dating from early 1945 so ineligible here. ;)
OTB ...
GB20 - Lavochkin La-7 (Mark I)
GB25 - Vickers Windsor (Anigrand), Curtiss P-40M Kittyhawk III (AFV Club)
SoS - Douglas C-47B Dakota (Minicraft) and several others :-(

Return to “Group Build 25: 1944”