Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Flight from Kharkiv 2022

Be it a tree, a bridge, a building or a nodding dog, this is the place!
Tim R-T-C
JV 144 4 Star
JV 144 4 Star

Flight from Kharkiv 2022

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Flight from Kharkiv 2022

A tough diorama to build but a very important one.

In a conflict awash with reports of military statistics and geopolitical turmoil, humourous pictures of Ukrainian tractors and legends of ghostly aces, it is easy to overlook the sheer scale of the humanitarian tragedy - the Red Cross reports over 5 million citizens have left the Ukraine to find safety and millions more have been displaced internally.

This would be the equivalent to the entire populations of Scotland leaving their country and the entire population of Wales forced to abandon their homes - to seek refuge with family, friends or just relying on the kindness of strangers - never knowing if there will be anything left to return to.

The aim of Flight from Kharkiv 2022 is to represent and remember this human tragedy. The figures are all based on photographs from the conflict - people forced to flee with their entire lives stuffed into a suitcase - from small children to the elderly.

The military aspects are deliberately pushed into the background - an abandoned, burnt truck, so iconic of the early weeks of the conflict, provides an ambiguous background, the fate of its occupants unknown. Those trundling past don't even turn a head, they have already seen much worse.

Yet there is defiance and perhaps hope in the spirit of a people seperated by conflict but refined by a new found national identity, epitomised on the global stage by the iconography of the sunflower.

It seems almost banal to discuss the technical aspects of the scene, but the figures are from Preiser 1/160 N scale unpainted selections, the shopping trolley is etched steel from an American model railroad selection, featuring a resin cat from Heroes Models of Italy.

The truck is a Kraz-258 from the Eastern Express 1/144 Airport Service collection. A very rough, short run type injection kit requiring a lot of fettling. The scene sits on a 10x10cm canvas with the roadway lines made using a Printscale decal lines set, appropriately a final touch that was made in the Ukraine.

Leo - zd
Flight #144
Flight #144
Croatia

Re: Flight from Kharkiv 2022

Post by Leo - zd »

Interesting and good job.
And the "story message" is a much bigger

Flying Derpus
Flight #3
Flight #3
Germany

Post by Flying Derpus »

You know what else I like about this? There are zillions of dioramas showing soldiers and equipment (suspiciously often 3rd Reich troops) in relatively harmless situations, as if the war was nothing but an exciting background for a nice adventure among courageous gentlemen. I mean, yes, I get it - modeling is a kind of escape from a world that's full of politics, conflict, and violence so you don't necessarily want that in your hobby room all the time.

However, once in a while it's good to see something that does remind you of what happens to normal folk when things go bad and that doesn't conveniently leave out all the negative sides. And it's details like the subtle hint with that sunflower and the pet sitting on the luggage that give such a small and seemingly unspectacular scene impact and meaning. Great work!

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Couldn't agree more. This is extremely poignant given the number of Ukrainians who have been displaced from their homes and towns. Your whole life channelled down to what you can squeeze into a suitcase or shopping trolley. So desparately sad.

Tim, you have an amazing talent for creating dioramas and vignettes that make the viewer think. Well done on all counts! :mrgreen:
OTB ...
GB18 - B-25B Mitchell (F-Toys)
GB20 - AW.650-222 Argosy (MikroMir)
SoS - Lancaster B.VII (Crown), CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), Me262A-1a/U4 (Eduard/RetroWings)

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

The individual horror stories...........

Earlier this week Christine and I went to Bude, our local seaside town, to get a bit of shopping. We paused by one of the ice cream shops for a break when a group of seven people arrived. They were a local gentleman with two Ukrainian mothers and their four children. The owner of the shop refused to accept payment for their ice creams. We chatted to the lady from Kiev, who left her husband behind to fight. Very thought provoking.

David

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

In Australia, we are a long way from this conflict but it is impacting us nonetheless. Here is a large billboard in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne, less than 10 minutes from my residence.

Support Ukraine Billboard.jpg
OTB ...
SoS - Lancaster B.VII (Crown), CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), Me262A-1a/U4 (Eduard/RetroWings)

Tim R-T-C
JV 144 4 Star
JV 144 4 Star

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Thanks to all for the comments.
smeg1959 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:54
In Australia, we are a long way from this conflict but it is impacting us nonetheless. Here is a large billboard in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne, less than 10 minutes from my residence.
Yes there are lots of similar things here in the UK, even our local buses have a heart with Ukrainian flag colours printed onto the logos now.

From speaking to Ukrainians online, this sort of thing does bolster them, lets them know they have the groundswell of world opinion behind them and that translates to political support which leads to military and financial support far greater than any individuals could give.

Tim R-T-C
JV 144 4 Star
JV 144 4 Star

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Flying Derpus wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 20:48
You know what else I like about this? There are zillions of dioramas showing soldiers and equipment (suspiciously often 3rd Reich troops) in relatively harmless situations, as if the war was nothing but an exciting background for a nice adventure among courageous gentlemen. I mean, yes, I get it - modeling is a kind of escape from a world that's full of politics, conflict, and violence so you don't necessarily want that in your hobby room all the time.
This is very true. It is easy to forget the prescence of civilians in most warzones througout history - war films and history books often portray a santized warzone for combat alone and render civilians as nothing more than statistics.

Focusing on the human tragedies is tough and doesn't always make for a pleasant model to put on the shelf, but it does offer a form of soul cleanse and can be done without restoring to AK Interactive levels of gratuitous gore

Flying Derpus
Flight #3
Flight #3
Germany

Post by Flying Derpus »

Oh, I think I read a little about that AK Interactive stuff - not exactly tasteful to put it mildly. :? If that language had been part of the lyrics written by some 16-year-olds for their Thrash Metal band, okay... tools of the trade, so to speak. For the modeling world, however, which already has enough "gun huggers" and people with a fascination for anything with a Swastika on it as it is? Bit uncalled for if you ask me.

I guess that's the main reason why I appreciate a change of pace because basically I agree with you that the civilian side of wars doesn't really make for pleasant models. "Oh, what a lovely vignette of dying people lying the rubble of their houses and a crying mother holding her dead baby" - said no one ever. Looking at such a scene is tough indeed. However, I also feel slight discomfort when I look at the 100th "SS soldiers welcoming the field kitchen on a quiet summer day at the Western front" diorama. It's not so much the individual scene itself. It's the fact that there's hardly any counterweight, so to speak.

Ugh, unpleasant topic as a whole. I guess that's why I prefer not to make vignettes and dioramas personally ;) - which doesn't keep me from acknowledging the skill of people making them.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

After the universal condemnation in 2020, AKI backed off significantly and apparently made huge changes to the publication in question. It is that line between thought-provoking and gratuitous that differs from one person to the next, but AKI pushed it too far for most observers. Whilst the modelling was undoubtedly very skilful, corpses and bloodshed do not sit well with most viewers. Still, I give AKI credit for their support of the "Models for Ukraine" book.

And that's where Tim's vignette wins out IMHO. No sensationalism, just poignancy. Even the Kraz-258. Yes, it is obviously Russian. Yes it is obviously disabled. But not presenting it as, say, a burnt-out wreck doesn't in any way lessen its impact.
OTB ...

Return to “1/144 Scenics, Accessories and Dioramas”