Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

1/144 Jolly Rogers Airfield Diorama

Be it a tree, a bridge, a building or a nodding dog, this is the place!
Warbird Kid
Flight #144
Flight #144
1/144 Interest: Yes
United States of America

Re: 1/144 Jolly Rogers Airfield Diorama

Post by Warbird Kid »

Little update. I've gotten the background mural to a place where I don't hate it. I sent it off to the "old man" for a review and see what he comes back with. Take a look for yourself!

Note: Anyone who looks closely will see that all the B-24s are actually the Collings Foundation's "Witchcraft"! But hopefully that won't be too noticeable at that scaled down size.

Warbird Kid
Flight #144
Flight #144
United States of America

Post by Warbird Kid »

For anyone interested in how my father made the extra bits of cargo for the diorama.

First he started with small cut off bits of plastic. In this case Raychem he "liberated" from work and glued it onto a thin sheet of styrene.

I found out years ago that rolling paper can be a FANTASTIC paper / canvas / cloth material for models. It was a great excuse for when my dad caught me with them, and it actually worked! :lol:

Then using a mixture of Elmer's Glue and Water you dip the cut piece of rolling paper into the tray until soaked. You dont want it to the point where its falling apart of course.

You then begin to work the material onto the piece you wish to cover. Take some time doing this as the curing / hardening time is quite long. Use a hairdryer to speed up the process if you want to.

Upon trimming and molding, it looks like we have a decent looking stack of boxes!

Here is the completed example after paint and a little bit of weathering.

And here are a few other bits of cargo to go along as well.

The same process was used on some 21st Century 1/144 Trucks to give them canvas covered tops.

I used this same method when building my "Bats Belfrey" diorama. It actually came out of necessity. I was REALLY happy with how I had painted the front windscreen / canopy on the B-25, only to have dropped it, and rolled over it with my chair. :evil: So I figured, I could salvage it, and put a tarp over part of it!

Hope you enjoyed this little bit of info!
Last edited by Warbird Kid on Sat Sep 12, 2020 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

ID19
Flight #144
Flight #144
1/144 Interest: No
Germany

Post by ID19 »

This is getting better every time!
Thoselittle details bring everything to life.
I'm afraid I'll be moving into too small house . . :roll:

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

What a great idea! Who said smoking was bad for your health? :P
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Warbird Kid
Flight #144
Flight #144
United States of America

Post by Warbird Kid »

Thanks guys! My dad thought there should be a little more in the diorama. So he sacrificed one of my 21st Century Zeros. And I liked that one too! :lol:

And the fabled "Jeep Project" He's recreating our 42 Willys that we operate out of the museum.

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Warbird Kid wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 14:48

And the fabled "Jeep Project" He's recreating our 42 Willys that we operate out of the museum.
I think I have missed this in the past, so remind us - What museum do you both work/Volunteer at?

Warbird Kid
Flight #144
Flight #144
United States of America

Post by Warbird Kid »

bluedonkey99 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 15:03
I think I have missed this in the past, so remind us - What museum do you both work/Volunteer at?
My father and I are volunteers and board members for the Connecticut Air & Space Center in Stratford, Connecticut.
https://www.ctairandspace.org

It's a smaller museum, with about 17 different aircraft and helicopters, but we also operate our 1942 Willys Jeep out of there so it reaches a wider audience (much like the diorama). We've owned the Jeep since 2013 and have had to do a fair amount to get her to where she is today (both cosmetically and internally).

Here's a shot of "For Pete's Sake" from a few years ago before we acquired the top, and few other additions.
https://www.ctairandspace.org/copy-of-1 ... flying-c-1

And here are a few more recent shots taken at a local school in Stratford during Memorial Day.

The 1942 Willys Jeep Project was devised as a way to also honor my Grandfather, Peter J Soltis from the Jolly Rogers. We figured, why not create a Jeep that "Pete" could have been driving around in, on one of the airfields during the war? So without skipping a beat, why father decided to recreate our Jeep in 1/144th scale.

First he started with ordering a few sets from Brengun. From looking at all the different 1/144th Jeeps, Brendan seemed like the highest quality and most detail.

Here is the bike receiving the messenger bag,

And here is the finished result! Needless to say Im impressed!

We'll be adding this to the diorama as well! Thanks for looking!
Last edited by Warbird Kid on Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:14, edited 1 time in total.

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Warbird Kid wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:51
bluedonkey99 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 15:03
My father and I are volunteers and board members for the Connecticut Air & Space Center in Stratford, Connecticut.
https://www.ctairandspace.org

It's a smaller museum, with about 17 different aircraft and helicopters, but we also operate our 1942 Willys Jeep out of there so is reaches a wider audience (much like the diorama). We've owned the Jeep since 2013 and have had to do a fair amount to get her to where she is today (both cosmetically and internally).
Great set-up, it must be fun to be involved in a smaller local museum like that - where you can get hands on!

Nice job on the Jeep, a good representation of the original.

Warbird Kid
Flight #144
Flight #144
United States of America

Post by Warbird Kid »

bluedonkey99 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 16:08
Great set-up, it must be fun to be involved in a smaller local museum like that - where you can get hands on!

Nice job on the Jeep, a good representation of the original.
Thanks so much! Yeah the smaller museums definitely have there advantages, but also there drawbacks FOR SURE. lol

Here is a small update:

The crashed Zero (along with a mostly unscathed Tony) have been added into the display along with the Jeep.
I'm going to update / modify the backdrop mural a little bit, before sending it out to a printer.

(Note: These shots were taken on my Dad's new phone and appear to have been scale down)

And lastly, here a few shots of the overall display. Still a ways to go. Most of the artifacts have just been placed in the case without any rhyme or reason.
We also need to locate the shorter glass shelves for the diorama case, so we can create a level shelf above it, instead of two uneven shelfs.

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

Just spotted this. Simply fantastic!!!

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four

Return to “1/144 Scenics, Accessories and Dioramas”