Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg’s AFV Rollout – Arrowhead Miniatures

If it relates to Terra Firma, wheeled, tracked or booted - man or machine on the land - it goes here!
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Re: Smeg’s AFV Rollout – WGS

Post by smeg1959 »

moresby wrote:I'd have replaced those 20mm and 45mm gun barrels with thinner (sprue?) ones, though...
It's funny how photographing these things can show up flaws and undersized or oversized components. You're spot on, Moresby ... grrrr! So this evening, some judicious sawing of the gun barrels on the AB-41 (20mm), BA-10 and T-70M (45mm), then new barrels created using Albion Alloys' fine brass rod. Yep, much better ... thanks heaps! That BA-10 gun barrel was really awful. Will update photos very soon.
machinehead wrote:Is the sponge coarse like one used for washing dishes or are the openings fine like say a bed memory foam?
I just bought one of those small greyish foam brushes from a hardware store and ripped a small segment from the edge. You only want something you can hold without squeezing too much between two fingers, as this gives greater control over the stippling effect in the end. I reckon a washing-up sponge would be too dense for use on a 1/144-scale item. The Flames of War article on winter finishes is an excellent overview of the options for whitewashing (see http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx ... rt_id=1736).
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), Hurricane Mk I (257 Sqn RAF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

moresby wrote:I'd have replaced those 20mm and 45mm gun barrels with thinner (sprue?) ones, though...
Done! ;)
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), Hurricane Mk I (257 Sqn RAF)

jfariahitech
Flight #288
Flight #288
1/144 Interest: No

Post by jfariahitech »

Nice work. I love the SU.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Thanks for all the favourable comments, everyone. I look at the photos I've taken of these things and can see that some definitely look better than others, but realise that a fair part of this is due to my macro photography skills ... or lack thereof. "In the flesh", the finish on the BA-10 and T-70M looks much more like that on the SU-76 than you'd imagine by looking at my photos, whilst the Churchill AVRE, Comet and Universal Carrier look much shinier than they are in reality. Personally, I'm happiest with the SU-76, KV-II and AB-41 (particularly with its new "slimline" barrel ... thanks again, moresby), least happy with the Universal Carrier.

PS. As McYellowbelly reported in another thread, I'll have to change the title of this one with Jeff announcing that "Wargames South" will become "Arrowhead Miniatures" in 2013.
OTB ...

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Smeg’s AFV Rollout – Arrowhead Miniatures

Post by smeg1959 »

Almost 3 years since the last update ... doesn't time fly when you're doing Group Builds! ;)

AEC MATADOR
8th Army, Battle of Monte Cassino, Italy, April 1944

AEC Matador - 8th Army Italy 01.jpg
AEC Matador - 8th Army Italy 02.jpg
AEC Matador - 8th Army Italy 03.jpg
Comments: I was going to do the Mickey Mouse-style camo here but opted out when I couldn't find a suitable template. Call me a chicken ... cluck, cluck! :oops:

AUSTIN TILLY 10HP
Bomb disposal squad vehicle, London, 1944

Austin Tilly 10HP - UXB Squad 01.jpg
Austin Tilly 10HP - UXB Squad 02.jpg
Austin Tilly 10HP - UXB Squad 03.jpg
Comments: I was tossing up whether to do a similar "Maltese wall" scheme like the Matilda "Griffon". However, I came across several photos of Tillys involved in bomb disposal duties, including a beautifully restored example that regularly appears around the UK. It also got me watching online the old ITV series Danger UXB, which I recalled watching as a teen in the late 1970's.

BEDFORD MWD 15-CWT TRUCK
RAF service, 1943

Bedford MWD 15-cwt Truck - RAF 01.jpg
Bedford MWD 15-cwt Truck - RAF 02.jpg
Bedford MWD 15-cwt Truck - RAF 03.jpg
Comments: I always intended to do the MWD in RAF blue until I discovered that no known examples of the truck were ever painted in this colour and that RAF vehicles of the time were actually SCC2 Khaki Brown. The decals are based upon a Corgi rendering I found online. Unfortunately, the RAF code hasn't come out as well as I'd thought when magnified. Oh well ...

BEDFORD OYD 3-TON TRUCK
10th Armoured Division, Alam El Halfa, Egypt, September 1942

Bedford OYD 3-ton Truck - 10th Armd Div 01.jpg
Bedford OYD 3-ton Truck - 10th Armd Div 02.jpg
Bedford OYD 3-ton Truck - 10th Armd Div 03.jpg
Comments: A typical example of a desert GP vehicle, finished in BS61 Light Stone with aerial recognition roundel on the top of the cab.

DODGE WC-51 3/4-TON "BEEP" LIGHT TRUCK
Unknown Unit, US Army, Europe 1944

Dodge WC-51 Light Truck - US Army 01.jpg
Dodge WC-51 Light Truck - US Army 02.jpg
Dodge WC-51 Light Truck - US Army 03.jpg
Comments: Similar to a restored example I almost got to sit in at the Avalon Air Show last year.

GMC DUKW 353
US Marines, Iwo Jima, February 1945

GMC DUKW - US Marines 01.jpg
GMC DUKW - US Marines 02.jpg
GMC DUKW - US Marines 03.jpg
Comments: One of the more interesting camo schemes and a nice alternative to plain Olive Drab. One of my favourite AFV completions to date.

M7 PRIEST
Snr Regt "A" Sqn, 11th Regt Royal Horse Artillery, 1st Armd Div, El Alamein, 1942

M7 Priest - 1st Armd Div 01.jpg
M7 Priest - 1st Armd Div 02.jpg
M7 Priest - 1st Armd Div 03.jpg
Comments: Again, I could have gone with an US Olive Drab scheme but the British desert alternative was far more enticing and I'm happy with the result.

RENAULT CHAR B1 bis
"Verdun II", Tank No. 452, 37e BCC, 1e DCR, near Solre le Château, May 1940

Renault Char B1 bis - Verdun II 01.jpg
Renault Char B1 bis - Verdun II 02.jpg
Renault Char B1 bis - Verdun II 03.jpg
Comments: The Char B1 and B1 bis have some of the most diverse camo schemes ever used on an AFV. Like the Bf109, you could build a swag of them and never double up on a scheme. Of the numerous options, I chose this one, partially because of the unusual green in the 3-tone camo and partially because Matt Snedden had the tank name "Verdun II" on his French AFV sheet. Probably my favourite completion tank-wise, I'm certainly considering buying another couple from John to explore more fanciful colour schemes.

VICKERS-ARMSTRONG INFANTRY TANK MK III VALENTINE IX
23rd Armoured Brigade, Tunisia, March 1943

Infantry Tank Mk III Valentine IX - 23rd Armd Brigade 01.jpg
Infantry Tank Mk III Valentine IX - 23rd Armd Brigade 02.jpg
Infantry Tank Mk III Valentine IX - 23rd Armd Brigade 03.jpg
Comments: Early on, I committed myself to a Light Mud scheme with this. It was only when I realised that most Valentines featuring such a colour were not Mk IXs that I started to panic. Indeed, most Mk IXs are SCC15 Olive Drab or similar, even those that were used by the Soviet forces on the Eastern Front. However, I finally found photos of the restored Mk IX at Bovington and I blew a sigh of relief. The things I concern myself with ... where's my psychiatrist when I need him?

WILLYS JEEP
2nd Infantry Division, 38th Infantry Regiment, HQ Company No. 17, Czechoslovakia, May 1945
Willys Jeep - 2nd Infantry Div 01.jpg
Willys Jeep - 2nd Infantry Div 02.jpg
Willys Jeep - 2nd Infantry Div 03.jpg
Comments: The ubiquitous Jeep is predictably tiny in 1/144, yet Arrowhead have done a lovely job on casting the vehicle in white metal. As with the vast majority of WW2 jeeps (and, for that matter, Korean War, etc), the overall colour is US Olive Drab. However, the example I modelled does feature a white bumper bar as a small point of difference. I briefly looked at the checkerboard "Follow Me" scheme then remembered the scale I was working in. No doubt some bugger out there will succeed in rendering such a scheme. All I will say is good luck, pal!

And so you have it. There's several more Arrowhead items in the stash still awaiting construction, so I will be interspersing the odd one here and there between aviation builds. Or alien spacecraft if Bruce's suggestion for a GB gets the thumbs up from the gang ...
OTB ...

machinehead
JV 144
JV 144
United States of America

Post by machinehead »

Great job, especially the DUKW and the M7 Priest which are exceptional. :!:

NW_Cdn
Flight #2
Flight #2

Post by NW_Cdn »

The stone pattern on the Matilda is incredible. I'm going to copy your paint selection when I get around to dunkelgelb panzers.

What paints did you use for SCC 2 khaki brown and BS61 light stone? Were they Tamiya? All I can find around where I live is Tamiya.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

A lovely collection of 1/144 targe...tanks and fings and I'm unsure as to the source of these.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

NW-Cdn, The Tamiya mix for SCC2 (by Mike Starmer) is: 1 part of XF1; 4 of XF3 and 5 of XF68.
AK paints have also just released a out of the bottle SCC2 in their new line of 'real' paints (also under the supervision of Mike Starmer.
BS61 mix is: 7 pts XF2 + 2 pts XF59 + 2 pts XF3.
Regards
Peter

moresby
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Italy

Post by moresby »

I like them!

My favourites are the bomb disposal Austin Tilly, The Matador and the DUKW.

I'm trying to scratchbuild a late type Valentine from Fairy MK III: I have the Arrowhead oversized one as a guide.
I'm also scratchbuilding an 8th Army Priest adding sandshields and using track assembly from a M-3 Grant. Can't see well from the pics: has yours the early or later type of suspensions?

Return to “1/144 Armour & Land Forces”