Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

WIP: Douglas X-3 from Dragon

For the discussion of aviation and aircraft subjects. If it flies, it goes here!
Lejgo_inc
Flight #9
Flight #9
Poland

WIP: Douglas X-3 from Dragon

Post by Lejgo_inc »

Hello,

Having finished the X-15 some time ago, my bench was looking a bit 144-less. Fortunately Marek (donalyah00) came up with PE parts for X-3 that needed a test-run. So here we are - a test model of a test plane.

I started with eliminating panel lines, which I find a bit too coarse, and not always in accord with references. Transparent plastic the kit was moulded in does not help judging parts fit and geometry, so coat of primer was applied. Part fit isn't bad, but gaps that remain do not suit 144 scale well.

After modification of main gear well, second application of primer and some more sanding, the pointy Douglas jet looks like this:
(still a lot of rough work to do to get the surface nice and smooth)

Experimental PE fret:

Main gear well floor is already in place, gear covers prepared...

...and here is a peek inside exhaust nozzles. Plastic nozzle edges were thinned, tubes rolled from brass strips fitted inside to form a visible step. PE grilles and turbine faces complete the assembly.

to be continued...
Mankind has perfect record in flight. We never left one up there.

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Re: WIP: Douglas X-3 from Dragon

Post by ph-adk »

Nice work here 8-)

I cannot wait to see it finished.

When I posted my anigrand X-3 on K144 i got a link from Y.Ena from Japan. He made some drawings of decals for the X-3 which weren't included in the kit:

https://plus.google.com/photos/+YEna383 ... 1856164911

Enjoy the build,

Lex

Lejgo_inc
Flight #9
Flight #9
Poland

Post by Lejgo_inc »

Hi Lex,
Your post caught me while clicking in Corel - "Rescue" arrow is ready, vents indicators go next :)

Tom's
Flight #288
Flight #288
France

Post by Tom's »

Very nice work !

Lejgo_inc
Flight #9
Flight #9
Poland

Post by Lejgo_inc »

X is back. Not much of a spectacular progress, but I think there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel (as you will see, the X had already met a freight train, so I am being cautious).

There has been some work to blend PE parts with surface of fuselage - a tedious process of sanding, filling and check surfacer sprays... Bleed vents and NACA intake installed in shallow engravings only added to my misery. I used Chaos Black, Mr Base White and Mr Surfacer to acheive this monochrome parrot effect. In some instances this shows how big the misalignments are, but most of the time it is simply confusing.

Intakes and splitter plates edges were thinned. I also lengthened internal walls of the intakes (alu foil squares) as they are quite visible (that is - if you know what to look for, otherwise - don't bother).

I installed canopy, masked it, but this only revealed that windows shape is not right (and windows are moulded raised). I sanded this mess flat, polished and masked according to reference photos. Of course there were gaps around canopy part, so - filling and sanding.

Some adjustment to size of opening of main gear well was necesary to get it along with door shape. It caused tiny cantilevered tabs under the wings to break off, so I had to replace them with scratch brass stripes. And then naturally - blend it with surroundings (sanding, filling...), dealing with fragile glue joints.

And then the train came in.
I was spraying Surfacer to see "...how much more" - one clumsy flip and X-3 crashed into floor from 1.5m AGL.

Losses: nose section, time
Gains: opportunity to add divider between intakes to avoid see-through at certain angles, easier instalation of front bulkhead in main gear well, no wing on left side=easier access for ...MORE SANDING.

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

:cry:

Well.. Good thing you are a positive person. Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Lex

Lejgo_inc
Flight #9
Flight #9
Poland

Post by Lejgo_inc »

Hi,
Quick update: X-3 is back in one piece. I coudn't find the original nose section, so a new one was needed. Short piece of sprue and flat file did the job.

I added wing fences, made of 0.25mm plastic sheet.

And then gunze supermetallic came in.

At first it doesn't look that bad.
But it is :)

Well, that was partially expected. Wings and stabs are to remain metal, I need to take special care of them. As for fuselage - there is some useful info on what else needs to be fixed before white cote. Back to work.

hash_bash_splash
Flight #4
Flight #4

Post by hash_bash_splash »

Wow! That was some burn up on re-entry

More seriously, looking good for an eventual safe, even if a somewhat crazed, touchdown.

Lejgo_inc
Flight #9
Flight #9
Poland

Post by Lejgo_inc »

2 year break? Not bad, my F-15C (1/72th) is waiting 8x longer.

Remember this merciless Gunze Supermetallic? It set me back to sanding paper and it was really discouraging. For a considerable time I thought this hobby is down to repeated sanding - checking process, nothing else. It went far enough for me to forget the whereabouts of my airbrush...

...and suddenly!

Metallic surfaces sprayed and masked

...Gunze Base White ready

...masks off

...and decals on

Decals by Dragon are more than decent. Ultra thin, sharp, with virtually non existent film border. Only drawback is NACA fin band - bad color, bad shape, missing black stripes. Mine was custom printed.

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

Very nice looking stiletto! Can't wait to see it finished.

Return to “1/144 Aviation & Aircraft”