Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg's Model Abode

Pictures of fellow forum members and/or their workbench/modelling space (or even stash - you know who we are talking about)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Smeg's Model Abode

Post by smeg1959 »

Well, Lex asked if members would do a separate thread showing their modelling environment, stash, etc. So, here goes with mine.

When my wife and I went separate ways last November, I looked for suitable accommodation that would be secure, within striking distance of work yet still provide ready access to my daughters who are both living with their mother (they do occasionally stay with me when it fits in with their school commitments). In February, I found a 2-bedroom apartment in the outer eastern suburb of Ringwood. As I am almost invariably the sole occupant, it has become a Man Cave of sorts. The photo below shows the line-up along one wall of the kitchen/lounge area, with my workbench neatly fitting into an alcove. The bookcases in the middle are populated primarily with tomes on aviation, military history, sport and science fiction. And then there's the trio of Billy bookcases purchased to replace the Bertby units I had back at my previous address (which I sold via Gumtree, an Aussie evilBay of sorts). Actually, almost all of the furniture in the photo started its days as an Ikea flatpack. Perhaps I could tell everyone I share an apartment with a bunch of Swedes ...
GOC Model Collection Oct 2018 (2).jpg
Below is a close-up of the Production Area. I've actually had the workbench since the 1980's, so can safely proclaim that every model in my collection started its journey upon its relatively stain-free surface. I have an assortment of storage items to keep paints and accessories in some vague semblance of order, and those little Ferrero Rocher containers are a boon for keeping kit parts and decals secure with the partially constructed model they relate to. The smaller ones comfortably fit a twin-engined item the size of, say, a Mosquito, whilst I have a handful of larger ones for anything up to a B-17 in size (not that anything bigger than the Type 432 in the RAF GB is currently under construction anyway). You can also make out the blue air compressor which dates back to the days of having a Paasche VL airbrush in the 1980's. The compressor has never missed a beat and, for something that old, isn't horrendously noisy. Unfortunately, the Paasche disappeared somewhere between moving out of my parents' home and into that of my former spouse.
GOC Workbench Ringwood Oct 2018 (1).jpg
Haven't shown the stash here as this is contained within a handful of plastic storage containers housed in a wardrobe. Most of my yet-to-be-builts are no longer in their original packaging, with many assigned to individual resealable sandwich bags. Started this when I was a kid and repeated it when I got into 1/144 around 2007. True, it cuts the resale value if I decided to sell any of the things down the line, but space has often been at a premium. And I do have aspirations to build everything I've bought before I'm committed to Mother Earth. As this totals 300+ aircraft and AFVs and I'm fast approaching the big six-O, probably wishful thinking. Or simple downright insanity. :roll:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), Hurricane Mk I (257 Sqn RAF)

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Re: Smeg's Model Abode

Post by BigReg »

That's very neat and tidy. Sadly I'm a mucky pup, just full of new ideas and have several projects on the go at the same time. I'll start a thread of my own when we return from our autumn break.
David

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No

Post by Jonathan »

oh, jealous! We know you've earned that lovely space, and those glass shelves. :ugeek:

Ive got floor to ceiling taped up cardboard boxes of about those dimensions. maybe someday it will look like that.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

It's all very, very clean and tidy...now be a good lad and do some modelling! :P
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

That is a very nice room, neat and tidy indeed. I love the shelves filled with models.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Looks absolutely palatial. :D

TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Post by TonyG2 »

Yes I'm impressed by the neat and tidy workspace in particular. I've now taken over the kitchen table as my two previous workspaces have fallen into use for storage. I keep telling myself this is temporary....

I have a two week break which I had planned to use for modelling but I think a reorganisation is desperately needed. Even more so when I was unable to find a whole load of -Toys Acroteam models (really concerning as it included 3 Red Arrows Hawks...)

I wouldn't dare post photos of the present mess (although as one room is presently inaccessible as I have so much stuff piled up in front o the door you wouldn't know there was a room there.)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

MerlinJones wrote:It's all very, very clean and tidy...now be a good lad and do some modelling! :P
Your wish is my command ... Type 432, Spitfire IXc and I-16 Rata. OK, OK, I know you built 17 models to completion over the weekend but ... I had to get up in t' morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went t' bed, drink cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill owner for permission to come t' work, and when I got home, our dad and our mum killed me and danced about on my grave singing Hallelujah. So there.

Joking aside, I'm always intrigued by just how much some modellers manage to achieve in a blitzbau. With the drying and repaint times of some acrylics and enamels, how on earth do you stop one colour merging with another and resulting in an absolute mess? Or applying decals onto semi-dry paint? Just wondering ...
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), Hurricane Mk I (257 Sqn RAF)

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Cos Merlin is a magician, right?
David

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

The arrangement of furniture has mutated somewhat, thanks to "the Elephant in the Room" ...
GOC Workbench Ringwood Apr 2020 (1).jpg
GOC Workbench Ringwood Apr 2020 (2).jpg
The right-hand side of the Ikea desk is still the modelling workbench, whilst the left is the home orifice.

Very envious of everyone's current progress because, despite sitting at my modelling bench day in, day out during this universal "work from home" directive, the only model stuff I'm doing is typing this. As I said to my students, once this global situation is over, I'm spending a fortnight with some lost Amazonian tribe, far away from PCs and the Internet! :P
OTB ...

Return to “Modellers and their workbenches (and stash)”