Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Vac forming canopies

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Devon

Vac forming canopies

Post by BigReg »

Has anyone tried vacforming canopies? If so what type of material did you use?
Thanks in advance,

David

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Australia

Re: Vac forming canopies

Post by pbhawkin »

David, sorry not to reply to your PM!
I have been busy with this China virus crap and just plain forgot!!
Anyway, I use PETG 0.5mm sheet Like this: https://www.kfplastics.com.au/plastic-s ... TG-sheet .
I order whatever size is easiest and cheapest to post and cut it myself to 13x13cm pieces.
I also bought a Dentist vacform machine exactly like this one from ebay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dental-Vacu ... ctupt=true
it is MUCH better than the old Mattel Vac-U-Form machine i had used!
Regards
Peter

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Thanks Peter, us pensioners sometimes forget that work gets in the way.
Useful advice.
David

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Reading your post, Peter, is a timely reminder to thank you and all of those involved in Health Services for the incredible work you have all been doing throughout these "interesting times". A couple of my former students are now working in pathology labs and the number of tests they are performing on a daily basis is mind-boggling. Kudos to you all. :D

Given the demands of the present situation, I expect that you are not getting much time near the workbench, so the following is more of a query than anything else. Would it be possible to get a handful of canopies vacformed if I could come up with suitable formers? I have at least three builds that stalled due to a lack of a suitable transparency and my usual plunge-mould approach hasn't provided anything usable in each case.
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), PZL.37 B II Łoś (Amercom)
GB16 - War of the Worlds Diorama (Pegasus)

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Hi Greg,
Hope you are coping with the lockdown!

Yes, send up the formers and I can vacform some canopies.
Regards
Peter

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Greg, I am following Peter's save advice and getting one of those vac form machines. Maybe I might be able to help our friends in Europe in the same way.
David

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

I went searching locally for some 0.5mm PETG sheet and discovered an unexpected source at Spotlight, the same store where I'd bought all my foam sheets for the transporting of my collection during my recent move. This Australia-wide chain sells fabric, party goods, home interior bits and bobs, curtaining, etc. It also has a range of products for crafts like sewing, knitting, scrapbooking and the like. But today I also discovered something I wasn't expecting ... a vacforming machine, with PETG sheets sold separately. The manufacturer is a Utah-based company called We R Memory Keepers and the marketing appears to be focused on creating moulds for things like soaps, chocolates, etc. For those who have their own vacforming device here, check out this review and tell me whether you think it would be worth me investing in. For the record, it is on sale at the moment for $AUS104.

Whilst I know I'll be able to find the sheets substantially cheaper, I did lash out a buy a pack of 6 with the aim of making a plunge moulded canopy for my Boomerang in GB14.

And David, did you end up getting a vacformer? If not and you need to win Christine over, show her the video. I think even SWMBO might have been favourable on this one, not that it matters nowadays! ;)
OTB ...

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

To be honest Greg, I think one of the ‘dental’ vacform machines that you get from eBay ( like I showed previously) would be much better. Certainly Much more robust and the heat source is terrific as is the in built vacuum.
Type in “dental vacuum” On eBay.com.au and you will Find lots ( the Blue coloured ones are what I have). You need to cut your clear sheets to 13x13cm to fit the clamp.
Regards
Peter

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Many thanks for that, Peter. Yes, I was thinking much the same, particularly after reading some negative reviews of the device. The one problem at the moment is that there are no locally available dental vacformers available. All of the ads on evilBay show the item as "out of stock", and the other geographical options - US and China - have postage rates as dear, if not dearer, than the vacformer itself. Doesn't matter anyway as the finances are just too precarious to splash out on something like this. In 6 months time, maybe. Hopefully by then, the machines will be available locally again.
OTB ...

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

I did get the said dental vacformer. The problem during the pandemic is getting the basic materials. They have been snapped up for use on face shields!
I have found that by ordering a lockdown jigsaw for Christine every time I order from Hannants marital harmony prevails.
David

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”